    secure as possible.

    Thanks,
    Nic

    Nic, Jul 29, 2004

  2. Nic

    Scooby Guest

    "Nic" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a cisco 2621 that currently is not snmp enabled. I would like
    > to monitor the bandwidth utilization of our t1 circuit. I have
    > downloaded the Solarwinds product to try this out with.
    >
    > I have sen alot of info on configuring snmp on cisco routers but its
    > diffacult to digest. How do I configure the traps to just monitor
    > bandwidth and not turn on everything? I have also seen some reference
    > to MIBs but again nothing definitive. I am not interested in using
    > snmp for much else at this point.
    >
    > I do not need to do any config or tftp via the snmp so do I only need
    > a ro community? This is an internet circuit and I want it to be as
    > secure as possible.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Nic

    Nic,

    You don't really need to enable traps. Traps are similar to syslog - when a
    particular event happens, a trap is triggered and an snmp message is sent to
    your trip server. If you are monitoring bandwidth, then you are just using
    SNMP get requests. Use the following syntax:

    snmp server community <roname> ro
    snmp server community <rwname> rw

    where <roname> and <rwname> are your read only and read/write community
    names. That is all you should need for simple snmp access. You are correct
    that bandwidth monitoring should just need RO access.

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, Jul 29, 2004