    scaredkitty Guest

    what does snip mean, how do I do it and why do I do it? Sorry, I'm teaching
    myself, and I want to do the right thing so people don't get pissed at me
    scaredkitty, Apr 5, 2005

  2. scaredkitty wrote:
    > what does snip mean <snip>
    > I want to do the right thing <snip>

    Example ^
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 5, 2005

  3. scaredkitty wrote:
    > what does snip mean, how do I do it and why do I do it? Sorry, I'm teaching
    > myself, and I want to do the right thing so people don't get pissed at me

    The first example was a bit extreme. The idea is to leave enough info to
    show what you're responding to and without substantially changing what
    the poster meant. You'll notice that sometimes an extremely long post
    will be responded to by a newbie including the entire post followed by
    "me too" at the end. That's not only an unnecessary post but snipping
    would have made it a bit more sufferable. Again, there's no absolute
    right and wrong, only what you think is right or wrong.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 5, 2005
  4. scaredkitty

    Old Gringo Guest

    scaredkitty wrote:
    > what does snip mean, (to cut something out) how do I do (highlight unwanted text and cut)it and why do I do it? (Optional) Sorry, I'm teaching
    > myself, and I want to do the right thing so people don't get pissed at me

    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Old Gringo, Apr 5, 2005
  5. scaredkitty

    trout Guest

    scaredkitty wrote:

    > what does snip mean, how do I do it and why do I do it? Sorry, I'm
    > teaching myself, and I want to do the right thing so people don't get
    > pissed at me k

    "<snip>" denotes that you've removed a portion of the quoted text in
    your message. This is done simply to remove a lot of bulk from posts
    that are not relevant, or necessary to your reply. You use the snip to
    show that you have, essentially, changed someone else's post.
    This is a *good* thing to do, to keep posts concise and easy to
    read. If points have been made in a long thread that have nothing to do
    with your comment, or if there's a lot of useless bulk like reposted
    signatures, or empty lines of ">"s, better to get rid of it.
    But use caution. *Only* snip irrelevant text, keep your attributions
    straight (the line that says who said what), and make sure that whatever
    is left is understandable, and in the proper context. That is, do not
    change someone's post so that the apparent meaning is changed.
    --
    Might take some practice.
    trout, Apr 5, 2005
  6. trout wrote:
    > scaredkitty wrote:
    >

    >>what does snip mean, how do I do it and why do I do it? Sorry, I'm
    >>teaching myself, and I want to do the right thing so people don't get
    >> pissed at me k

    > "<snip>" denotes that you've removed a lot of bulk to your reply.
    > You have, essentially, changed someone else's post.
    > This is a *good* post and easy to read. If a long thread that have
    > nothing to do or if there's a lot of useless caution, keep your
    > post so that the apparent meaning is changed.

    Like so.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 5, 2005
  7. scaredkitty

    trout Guest

    Old Gringo wrote:

    > scaredkitty wrote:
    >> what does snip mean, (to cut something out) how do I do (highlight
    >> unwanted text and cut)it and why do I do it? (Optional) Sorry, I'm
    >> teaching myself, and I want to do the right thing so people don't
    >> get pissed at me k

    This is a good way to teach someone to reply?
    I'd at *least* use [editorial] brackets.
    --
    If I'm not crushing your artistic spirit too much.
    trout, Apr 5, 2005
  8. scaredkitty

    Old Gringo Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >

    >>scaredkitty wrote:
    >>
    >>>what does snip mean, (to cut something out) how do I do (highlight
    >>>unwanted text and cut)it and why do I do it? (Optional) Sorry, I'm
    >>> teaching myself, and I want to do the right thing so people don't
    >>>get pissed at me k

    > This is a good way to teach someone to reply?
    > I'd at *least* use [editorial] brackets.

    Sounds good to me, maybe next time. :)

    Old Gringo, Apr 5, 2005
  9. scaredkitty

    trout Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > trout wrote:
    >> scaredkitty wrote:
    >>

    >>> what does snip mean, how do I do it and why do I do it? Sorry, I'm
    >>> teaching myself, and I want to do the right thing so people don't
    >>> get pissed at me k

    >> "<snip>" denotes that you've removed a lot of bulk to your reply.
    >> You have, essentially, changed someone else's post.
    >> This is a *good* post and easy to read. If a long thread that have
    >> nothing to do or if there's a lot of useless caution, keep your
    >> post so that the apparent meaning is changed.

    > Like so.

    If I could make a fist, you'd better believe I'd be shaking it at
    you right now.
    --
    But I am *this* close to using a frowny emoticon.
    trout, Apr 5, 2005
  10. scaredkitty

    Plato Guest

    scaredkitty wrote:

    > what does snip mean, how do I do it and why do I do it? Sorry, I'm teaching
    > myself, and I want to do the right thing so people don't get pissed at me

    Some people put that line in to mean they cut text from the original
    message to make the reply smaller and easier to read.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 5, 2005
  11. scaredkitty

    scaredkitty Guest

    Thanks & forgive my ignorance--how do I "cut"?

    scaredkitty, Apr 5, 2005
  12. scaredkitty

    Old Gringo Guest

    scaredkitty wrote:
    > Thanks & forgive my ignorance--how do I "cut"?
    >

    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>scaredkitty wrote:
    >>
    >>>what does snip mean, (to cut something out) how do I do (highlight
    >>>unwanted text and cut)it and why do I do it? (Optional) Sorry, I'm
    >>>teaching myself, and I want to do the right thing so people don't get
    >>>pissed at me

    >>--
    >>Old Gringo George
    >>Magic Weaver Of Life
    >>Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    >>Freedom For The World <http://www.nuboy-industries.com/>

    :) right click the highlighted quote you will see it there.
    :) to highlight it put the arrow in front of the quote and left
    click and drag across quote.

    Old Gringo, Apr 5, 2005
  13. scaredkitty

    trout Guest

    scaredkitty wrote:

    > Thanks & forgive my ignorance--how do I "cut"?

    Just like any document. The easiest thing to do is highlight the
    text, and use the Delete key.
    --
    Sometimes I don't bother saying 'snip' if it's obvious.
    trout, Apr 5, 2005
  14. Sorry trout--I'm just trying to learn by myself, no one helping me, so I
    try to learn most stuff by reading NGs Google,, Usenet etc. Sorry if this
    offended you-not everybody is an expert. As a newbie, I'm doing the best I
    can.

    is there anybody in there?, Apr 5, 2005
  15. is there anybody in there? wrote:
    > Sorry trout--I'm just trying to learn by myself, no one helping me, so I
    > try to learn most stuff by reading NGs Google,, Usenet etc. Sorry if this
    > offended you-not everybody is an expert. As a newbie, I'm doing the best I
    > can.

    He wasn't shaking his pectoral at you, twas aimed in my direction for
    reckless abandon in snipping his prose.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 5, 2005
  16. scaredkitty

    trout Guest

    is there anybody in there? wrote:

    > Sorry trout--I'm just trying to learn by myself, no one helping
    > me, so I try to learn most stuff by reading NGs Google,, Usenet etc.
    > Sorry if this offended you-not everybody is an expert. As a newbie,
    > I'm doing the best I can.

    Okay, so one of the first things to get right is *reading* the
    thread. It sounds simple, but can be a little confusing at first. You
    see, I was replying to Roger, and we were both kidding. Him, about
    hacking up my post as an example of 'good snipping'; and me, about being
    mad about it.
    Watch who the *first* person quoted is; that's the person to whom
    the reply is being made.

    And relax. It's only Usenet.

    trout, Apr 5, 2005
  17. scaredkitty

    * Guest

    Hi is there anybody in there?, You told me:

    Trout is a fuckwit. Just tell him "**** off and die, you ****."
    *, Apr 5, 2005
  18. scaredkitty

    neville Guest

    Dont bother doing any of that shit just top post without editing its
    quicker.

    neville, Apr 11, 2005