Snapshots of Afghanistan - August 2009

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Aug 26, 2009.

  1. I've just returned from a trip around Afghanistan and have put some
    of the more decent photos online here using a Flash-based engine:

    http://www.ninjatrek.com/

    You will need to select "Album" from the menu and then click on
    "Afghanistan". From the "View" option you can adjust the
    functionality of the presentation.

    I took the following equipment:

    1. Nikon D700 camera + 2 x 32GB CF cards + four batteries
    2. Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF ED
    3. Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G IF ED Micro
    4. Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED

    However, I soon dropped my 70-300mm lens into the bottom of a lake so
    was left with the 17-35mm lens and the 105mm lens for most of my
    shoots which was a bit of a challenge; I just had to re-adjust my
    photographic mind set and use my feet a bit more!

    The dust was incredible. It was constant and it was everywhere. Had
    to be very careful with keeping the sensor clean, but I guess the
    only real problem suffered was getting some dust into the lenses but
    that was easily dusted off. I just need to clean the camera and
    lenses now as they're looking in a bit of a state.

    The camera performed well and I had no reliability issues with the
    camera, lenses, batteries or CF cards. It was only the stupidity on
    my part which resulted in the loss of the 70-300mm lens...I should
    really use a proper lightweight camera jacket that can securely carry
    these lenses. Any suggestions?
    --
    Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Website : www.metalvortex.com
    Contact : www.metalvortex.com/contact/

    "Brain" and "brain"! What is "brain"?!

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Aug 26, 2009

  2. On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:02:55 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >Wonderful collection. There are many noteworthy shots, I esp. like the
    >two kids with the other kids OOF and in the dust behind.

    That's one of my favourites too.

    >Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
    >detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more about
    >the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and less of the
    >posed shots would have been welcome.

    I know. But it's really hard taking candid shots when you become the
    centre of attraction and everyone starts ogling the large camera
    around my neck...there is much to be said for having a small P&S
    camera. The new Canon G11 sounds good...!

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Aug 26, 2009

  3. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Pinaki Guest

    On Aug 26, 10:57 am, Kulvinder Singh Matharu <real-address-
    > wrote:
    > I've just returned from a trip around Afghanistan and have put some
    > of the more decent photos online here using a Flash-based engine:
    >
    > http://www.ninjatrek.com/
    >
    > You will need to select "Album" from the menu and then click on
    > "Afghanistan". From the "View" option you can adjust the
    > functionality of the presentation.
    >
    > I took the following equipment:
    >
    > 1. Nikon D700 camera + 2 x 32GB CF cards + four batteries
    > 2. Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF ED
    > 3. Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G IF ED Micro
    > 4. Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED
    >
    > However, I soon dropped my 70-300mm lens into the bottom of a lake so
    > was left with the 17-35mm lens and the 105mm lens for most of my
    > shoots which was a bit of a challenge; I just had to re-adjust my
    > photographic mind set and use my feet a bit more!
    >
    > The dust was incredible. It was constant and it was everywhere. Had
    > to be very careful with keeping the sensor clean, but I guess the
    > only real problem suffered was getting some dust into the lenses but
    > that was easily dusted off. I just need to clean the camera and
    > lenses now as they're looking in a bit of a state.

    Beautiful land, beautiful people, beautiful pictures - thanks a lot
    for sharing. I liked best no. 6 (the little girl smiling from behind
    the women in burkha). What lake is that? - looks stunning. And
    what building is it in no. 42?

    Warm regards,
    Pinaki.

    Pinaki, Aug 26, 2009
  4. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Bob Larter Guest

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu wrote:
    > On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:02:55 -0400, Alan Browne
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >> Wonderful collection. There are many noteworthy shots, I esp. like the
    >> two kids with the other kids OOF and in the dust behind.

    > That's one of my favourites too.
    >
    >> Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
    >> detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more about
    >> the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and less of the
    >> posed shots would have been welcome.

    > I know. But it's really hard taking candid shots when you become the
    > centre of attraction and everyone starts ogling the large camera
    > around my neck...

    The trick I use in that sort of situation is to take the boring posed
    shots, then snapshot the people when they've relaxed afterwards.

    Bob Larter, Aug 27, 2009
  5. On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:37:36 -0700 (PDT), Pinaki
    <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >Beautiful land, beautiful people, beautiful pictures - thanks a lot
    >for sharing. I liked best no. 6 (the little girl smiling from behind
    >the women in burkha). What lake is that? - looks stunning. And
    >what building is it in no. 42?

    The lakes are at Band-e-Amir and are a really rich blue colour. I've
    got other shots of the lake which contrast very well against the red
    of the rocks...I may put one of those online at some point.

    http://wikimapia.org/836051/Band-e-Amir
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band-e_Amir

    The building in No 42 (I think you mean 43)...this is in the "Old
    City" area of the town of Herat...there aren't too many covered
    bazaars in Afghanistan. Herat has a handful of medieval covered
    bazaars and some are being demolished to make way for modern
    buildings (weak building regulations). Luckily, this covered bazaar
    had recently been renovated.

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Aug 27, 2009
  6. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Walter Banks Guest

    What took you to Afghanistan? You have done some interesting trips
    Sorry about the lens.

    Walter..

    Walter Banks, Aug 27, 2009
  7. On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:37:36 -0700 (PDT), Pinaki
    <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >Beautiful land, beautiful people, beautiful pictures - thanks a lot
    >for sharing. I liked best no. 6 (the little girl smiling from behind
    >the women in burkha). What lake is that? - looks stunning. And
    >what building is it in no. 42?

    I've added some new photos (so the numbering is all changed) but I
    have also managed to put some brief descriptions against each of the
    photos so hopefully that should help to answer any further questions!

    Regards,

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Aug 27, 2009
  8. On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:54:21 -0400, Walter Banks
    <> wrote:

    >What took you to Afghanistan? You have done some interesting trips
    >Sorry about the lens.

    I'm not sure, really. I'd been to Syria and Lebanon and was very
    interested in Greek, Roman and Persian histories. So that made
    Afghanistan a candidate for visiting...and I guess I took the phrase
    "off the beaten path" to heart!

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Aug 27, 2009
  9. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    newshound Guest

    Very fine work. I'm pleased if I get one shot as good per holiday!

    newshound, Aug 27, 2009
  10. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    B. Colton Guest

    On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:38:38 -0500, Douglas Johnson <>
    wrote:

    >Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >
    >>Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
    >>detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more about
    >>the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and less of the
    >>posed shots would have been welcome.

    >I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very interesting faces in
    >that collection. It's fun to think about the things that formed those faces.

    The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives says
    much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen religion(s).
    This could be why the rest of the world has advanced into the 21st century
    and they're still a 3rd-world country with nothing but rocks and sand to
    show for their beliefs and values for the last 2000 years.

    "The size of your weapons doesn't show the heights of your strengths, it
    only reveals the depths of your fears and insecurities." -- caMel

    B. Colton, Aug 27, 2009
  11. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    J. Clarke Guest

    B. Colton wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:38:38 -0500, Douglas Johnson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
    >>> detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more
    >>> about the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and
    >>> less of the posed shots would have been welcome.

    >> I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very interesting
    >> faces in that collection. It's fun to think about the things that
    >> formed those faces.
    >>

    > The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives
    > says much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen
    > religion(s). This could be why the rest of the world has advanced
    > into the 21st century and they're still a 3rd-world country with
    > nothing but rocks and sand to show for their beliefs and values for
    > the last 2000 years.

    I believe that that "artillery" says more about having been invaded by two
    different superpowers in the past 30 years than it does about "the ignorance
    of their culture and childish chosen religion(s)".

    As for their having nothing but rocks and sand, see above.

    J. Clarke, Aug 28, 2009
  12. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems B. Colton <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:38:38 -0500, Douglas Johnson <>
    > wrote:

    >>Alan Browne <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
    >>>detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more about
    >>>the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and less of the
    >>>posed shots would have been welcome.

    >>I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very interesting faces in
    >>that collection. It's fun to think about the things that formed those faces.

    > The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives says
    > much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen religion(s).

    It says that for the last hundred or so years they've been fighting a
    civil war and been fighting off invading foreign armies who were
    taking sides at the same time.

    > This could be why the rest of the world has advanced into the 21st century
    > and they're still a 3rd-world country with nothing but rocks and sand to
    > show for their beliefs and values for the last 2000 years.

    I think it's very impressive that they beat off the Russian army and
    are now giving the US army a very hard time.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Aug 28, 2009
  13. In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Bill Graham <> wrote:
    > "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >> B. Colton wrote:

    >>> The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives
    >>> says much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen
    >>> religion(s). This could be why the rest of the world has advanced
    >>> into the 21st century and they're still a 3rd-world country with
    >>> nothing but rocks and sand to show for their beliefs and values for
    >>> the last 2000 years.

    >> I believe that that "artillery" says more about having been invaded by two
    >> different superpowers in the past 30 years than it does about "the
    >> ignorance
    >> of their culture and childish chosen religion(s)".
    >>
    >> As for their having nothing but rocks and sand, see above.

    > There is a huge difference between the relationship between the Soviets and
    > Afghans and the U.S. and Afghans over the years since the middle of the 19th
    > century. I advise reading up on it. (Wikipedia has some nice write-ups) I
    > certainly wouldn't lump us together as, "Invaded by two superpowers". In
    > general, we (the US) has done little but give billions in friendly aid to
    > the Afghans over the years.

    While doing nothing effective to stop the distortion of their economy
    and the financing of their criminal warlords by the free world's
    insatiable demand for black market heroin.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Aug 28, 2009
  14. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Bill Graham
    <> writes

    >"J. Clarke" <> wrote in message news:h778ep113j0@
    >news2.newsguy.com...
    >> B. Colton wrote:

    >>> The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives
    >>> says much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen
    >>> religion(s). This could be why the rest of the world has advanced
    >>> into the 21st century and they're still a 3rd-world country with
    >>> nothing but rocks and sand to show for their beliefs and values for
    >>> the last 2000 years.

    >> I believe that that "artillery" says more about having been invaded by two
    >> different superpowers in the past 30 years than it does about "the
    >>ignorance
    >> of their culture and childish chosen religion(s)".
    >>
    >> As for their having nothing but rocks and sand, see above.
    >>

    >There is a huge difference between the relationship between the Soviets
    >and Afghans and the U.S. and Afghans over the years since the middle of
    >the 19th century. I advise reading up on it. (Wikipedia has some nice
    >write-ups) I certainly wouldn't lump us together as, "Invaded by two
    >superpowers".

    Interestingly both the Afghans and Pakistanis would lump the US and the
    USSR together. They can see little between the US and USSR except the
    USA has done more damage.

    > In general, we (the US) has done little but give billions in friendly
    >aid to the Afghans over the years.

    Much the same as the USSR did... however the USSR did not kill as many
    Afghan civilians as the USA did..... and is still doing.

    The US has given aid but has still not put enough in to repair the
    damage it has done over the last 8 years.

    As for advanced.... there is a lot more to life than the measures used
    by the relatively new USA. Afghanistan was civilised a millennium
    before the USA came into being.

    Chris H, Aug 28, 2009
  15. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Chris H Guest

    In message <2009082710430816807-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom
    >, C J Campbell <> writes
    >On 2009-08-26 11:48:43 -0700, Elliott Roper <> said:
    >
    >> In article <>, Kulvinder
    >> Singh Matharu <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've just returned from a trip around Afghanistan and have put some
    >>> of the more decent photos online here using a Flash-based engine:
    >>> http://www.ninjatrek.com/

    >> Thanks. Wonderful. Beautiful.
    >> Why are us Western idiots bombing the B'Jasus out of those beautiful
    >> people? I don't care if they look static and posed. I'd like to be able
    >> to sit down and hear their story, just after looking at their faces.
    >> Why can't we just get along?

    >Something about freeing them from an oppressive regime called the
    >Taliban which made Hitler's Germany look like a children's choir.

    I have seen interviews recently in both Pakistan and Afghanistan that
    say the Taliban and the USA are as bad as each other. Though the USA
    forces have killed more civilians of late.

    Chris H, Aug 28, 2009
  16. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Bill Graham
    <> writes

    >"Elliott Roper" <> wrote in message news:26082009194843
    >7347%...
    >
    >> Why are us Western idiots bombing the B'Jasus out of those beautiful
    >> people? I don't care if they look static and posed. I'd like to be able
    >> to sit down and hear their story, just after looking at their faces.
    >> Why can't we just get along?

    >I believe we are attempting to bomb the B'Jesus out of the terrorists
    >who took out our twin towers and their supporters.

    Then you are WRONG... the terrorists who took out the twin tower were
    Saudis. (Saudi has a far more oppressive regime than Afghanistan

    >(The Taliban) If you want to turn your back on those actions, then be
    >my guest. But don't bitch at me for taking the fight over there. I am
    >only exhibiting common sense.

    Not at all. This was discussed at length on uk-current-events,terrorisum
    NG for the last 8 years and not only was it NOT common sense, the US hit
    the WRONG target and has made a complete mess of it.

    > I was only just, "getting along" on September 10th, 2001. But there
    >were others who obviously didn't want to just, "get along" with me.

    That is written by some one with their head in the sand.

    >People reap what they sew in this world.......

    Very true which is why Al-Qeada launched three *RETALIATION* attacks.
    The WTC being the third one. The WCT attack was by Saudis. The first
    two was by Africans and Arabs. None were Afghans.

    Chris H, Aug 28, 2009
  17. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Kulvinder Singh
    Matharu <> writes
    >On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:54:21 -0400, Walter Banks
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>What took you to Afghanistan? You have done some interesting trips
    >>Sorry about the lens.

    >I'm not sure, really. I'd been to Syria and Lebanon and was very
    >interested in Greek, Roman and Persian histories. So that made
    >Afghanistan a candidate for visiting...and I guess I took the phrase
    >"off the beaten path" to heart!

    What is your occupation that you can travel so much? (Not that I am
    insanely jealous :) You have some fantastic photos.

    I have wanted to travel a lot more but family and work precludes that.
    And "when I retire" seems to be more of a dream than an actuality.

    Chris H, Aug 28, 2009
  18. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    J. Clarke Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:
    > In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems B. Colton <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:38:38 -0500, Douglas Johnson
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very
    >>> interesting faces in that collection. It's fun to think about the
    >>> things that formed those faces.

    >> The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives
    >> says much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen
    >> religion(s).

    > It says that for the last hundred or so years they've been fighting a
    > civil war and been fighting off invading foreign armies who were
    > taking sides at the same time.
    >
    >> This could be why the rest of the world has advanced into the 21st
    >> century and they're still a 3rd-world country with nothing but rocks
    >> and sand to show for their beliefs and values for the last 2000
    >> years.

    > I think it's very impressive that they beat off the Russian army and
    > are now giving the US army a very hard time.

    Who is "giving the US army a very hard time"? So far the US loses about as
    many soldiers in Afghanistan every year as it loses cops at home. The
    Soviet Union lost almost 15,000 soldiers in 10 years in Afghanistan. So far
    the US has lost about 800. The US casualty rates for both Afghanistan and
    Iraq are _tiny_ compared to any previous war.

    J. Clarke, Aug 28, 2009
  19. Kulvinder Singh Matharu

    Walter Banks Guest

    Bill Graham wrote:

    > I believe we are attempting to bomb the B'Jesus out of the terrorists who
    > took out our twin towers and their supporters. (The Taliban) If you want to
    > turn your back on those actions, then be my guest. But don't bitch at me for
    > taking the fight over there. I am only exhibiting common sense. I was only
    > just, "getting along" on September 10th, 2001. But there were others who
    > obviously didn't want to just, "get along" with me. People reap what they
    > sew in this world.......

    That is like saying you are guilty of murder for the slaying of a gang
    member in the east end of Toronto by a Jamaican whose mother
    lived for a time as an illegal in the US.

    Walter Banks, Aug 28, 2009
  20. On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:27:07 +0100, Chris H <>
    wrote:

    [snip]
    >What is your occupation that you can travel so much? (Not that I am
    >insanely jealous :) You have some fantastic photos.

    I'm a telecoms engineer (Engineering & Assurance Manager)...although
    people say that I'm actually a photographer who just happens to do
    telecoms ;)

    I've always been interested in photography (helping dad in dark
    room!) and I always wanted to travel. I guess I only started
    traveling after I graduated and earned enough cash to feed my
    increasing expensive hobbies! These were the days before the phrase
    "gap year" existed!

    I try to fit in at least one major holiday every year.

    >I have wanted to travel a lot more but family and work precludes that.
    >And "when I retire" seems to be more of a dream than an actuality.

    Work is pretty flexible and understanding with regards to time. As
    for family...I'm holding off on that for the time being ;)

    Kulvinder Singh Matharu, Aug 28, 2009