    Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
    $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
    help but feel ripped off. What do you think?
    samduhman, Feb 7, 2007

  2. samduhman

    Eric Babula Guest

    "samduhman" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
    > cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
    > order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
    > looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
    > pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
    > less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
    > Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
    > $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
    > help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

    I think I won't be ordering anything from Snapfish, that's what I think.

    Ripoff!

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Eric Babula, Feb 7, 2007

  3. I agree - it is a horrible development that they would take
    advantage of a customer in that way, especially after you were
    willing to invest in their future with a large deal such as that.
    I wonder if there is any way that you could end the committment,
    or if not, perhaps find a way to do a large order to help
    minimize the shipping and handling and fulfill the obligation in
    perhaps one or two orders.

    Best of luck.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Feb 7, 2007
  4. samduhman

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:

    > I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
    > cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
    > order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
    > looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
    > pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
    > less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
    > Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
    > $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
    > help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

    Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?

    --
    Neil
    Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.
    Neil Ellwood, Feb 7, 2007
  5. samduhman

    TSKO Guest

    "Neil Ellwood" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:
    >
    >> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
    >> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
    >> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
    >> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
    >> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
    >> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
    >> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
    >> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
    >> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

    > Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?
    >
    > --
    > Neil
    > Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

    Did you not know how much you were paying when you placed the order? As far
    when you did the checkout process?
    TSKO, Feb 7, 2007
  6. Per samduhman:
    > They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
    >help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

    It reaffirms my notion that, to compare prices, one must always figure in the
    merchant's shipping/handling charges.

    Seems like it makes it a lot harder to compare bc I'd imagine some merchants try
    to lower their prices artificially to get a good rating on the various price
    comparison utilities - and the recoup it by reaming the customer on
    shipping/handling.

    "SnapFish"... easy name to remember...not to patronize.

    Thanks for sharing/warning.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 7, 2007
  7. "Neil Ellwood" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:
    >
    >> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
    >> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
    >> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
    >> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
    >> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
    >> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
    >> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
    >> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
    >> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

    > Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?

    Are you speaking of the labor to pack the item or the labor to produce the
    item? IMO, the labor cost is already included in the item's selling price.
    Perhaps a case can be made for adding charges for packaging but in this case
    it appears that Snapfish is making a profit on the handling costs.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 7, 2007
  8. samduhman

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <OXsyh.112$>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
    <> writes
    >"Neil Ellwood" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:
    >>
    >>> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
    >>> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
    >>> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
    >>> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
    >>> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
    >>> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
    >>> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
    >>> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
    >>> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

    >> Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?

    >Are you speaking of the labor to pack the item or the labor to produce the
    >item? IMO, the labor cost is already included in the item's selling price.
    >Perhaps a case can be made for adding charges for packaging but in this case
    >it appears that Snapfish is making a profit on the handling costs.

    The employee who picks from the shelf, packs it, and puts on the out
    shelf to be loaded on the couriers lorry has to be paid; it is the
    nature of business to make money from all of its employees. I recently
    purchased a lens on which I was charged 6.95 GBP (about 14 USD) to
    deliver it to me, this is less than the 7.70 GBP the courier charges (I
    suspect regular users can negotiate a lower price, since the supplier
    does not pass on the extra charge for larger or multiple consignments I
    must conclude that they cover this from their deferential).

    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    Prometheus, Feb 7, 2007
  9. samduhman

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 13:33:08 -0600, Neil Ellwood
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:
    >
    >> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
    >> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
    >> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
    >> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
    >> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
    >> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
    >> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
    >> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
    >> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

    >Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?

    In a mail order photo printing service one would expect those to be
    included in the per-print cost.
    J. Clarke, Feb 7, 2007
  10. samduhman

    Jimmy Guest

    > The employee who picks from the shelf, packs it, and puts on the out shelf
    > to be loaded on the couriers lorry has to be paid; it is the nature of
    > business to make money from all of its employees.

    Labor, materials, etc are all part of Cost of Goods sold. In pricing their
    product packages Snapfish should have these costs plus their profit
    included. I notice they do charge additional fees for prints & enlargements
    shipping and handling. The fee for a USPS delivery is $1.97 for 16-25
    prints and for every additional 10 prints $0.49. Other delivery methods are
    available at a higher cost. Someone missed the pricing information clearly
    buried on pg 112, sub-paragraph b. :)
    Jimmy, Feb 8, 2007
  11. samduhman

    sally Guest

    Snapfish lists their shipping charges on their web site ($1.97 for 25 prints
    plus 0.49 for every 10 prints after that). Have the rates changed since you
    purchased your photo plan? That would be a good reason to complain. If
    their rates have not changed, you can't really blame them.
    sally, Feb 8, 2007
  12. You seem to think that the only thing involved in shipping your order is
    what they pay UPS or the Post Office. You seem to forget about the packaging
    material, tape, labels, ink or toner to print the labels, etc. Plus there is
    the money they have to pay the people to package your order, the money they
    have to pay the people that sees the package off to the shipper, even if the
    shipper comes to them someone has to deal with that. All of this costs
    money.

    Shipping to day is expensive no ands ifs or buts about it. Some places rip
    you off. I don't think what SnapFish charged you was a rip-off. If you and
    others do then I strongly suggest you buy yourself an Epson Picture Snap or
    Flash and do your own prints. Not that that is going to be any cheaper.

    ljc

    Little Juice Coupe, Feb 8, 2007
  13. On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:54:29 -0500, J Clarke wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 13:33:08 -0600, Neil Ellwood
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:
    >>
    >>> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
    >>> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
    >>> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
    >>> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
    >>> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
    >>> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
    >>> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
    >>> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
    >>> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

    >>Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?

    > In a mail order photo printing service one would expect those to be
    > included in the per-print cost.

    It's always chapped my thighs that a company whose _Real Business_ is
    SHIPPING AND HANDLING, low-balls the price of the product, and then
    adds in their "S&H" at the *end* of the buying 'experience'.

    Jonesy
    Allodoxaphobia, Feb 8, 2007
  14. samduhman

    Ed-sp Guest

    --
    ___________________
    EDW SPA

    Ed-sp, Feb 8, 2007
  15. You can order Costco prints online and they ship it for free.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Feb 8, 2007
  16. samduhman

    stefos Guest

    I've actually found Snapfish to be the best of the lot! Good quality prints
    etc. but mainly because I can collect at my local Jessops therefore not
    incuring postal charges.
    I'm aware not everyone can do this but certainly a bonus for the rest of us
    by what I''ve read here.
    stefos, Feb 8, 2007
  17. "Little Juice Coupe" <> wrote in message
    > You seem to think that the only thing involved in shipping your order is
    > what they pay UPS or the Post Office. You seem to forget about the
    > packaging material, tape, labels, ink or toner to print the labels, etc.
    > Plus there is the money they have to pay the people to package your order,
    > the money they have to pay the people that sees the package off to the
    > shipper, even if the shipper comes to them someone has to deal with that.
    > All of this costs money.
    >
    > Shipping to day is expensive no ands ifs or buts about it. Some places rip
    > you off. I don't think what SnapFish charged you was a rip-off. If you and
    > others do then I strongly suggest you buy yourself an Epson Picture Snap
    > or Flash and do your own prints. Not that that is going to be any cheaper.

    But all of the things you noted should be included in the cost of the item.
    It's not unreasonable to expect Snapfish to know its costs. I've never been
    charged a handling fee in a retail store even though their employees
    unloaded the trucks, stocked the shelves, etc. All of those costs are
    refelcted in the selling price of the item. The only difference is that the
    retail store doesn't ship me the product nor pack it for shipping. That is
    expected to be added at a reasonable cost.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Feb 8, 2007
  18. samduhman

    SimonLW Guest

    "samduhman" <> wrote in message
    >I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
    > cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
    > order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
    > looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
    > pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
    > less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
    > Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
    > $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
    > help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

    So you are actually paying $.115 per print. How does this compare to others?
    Is the quality good?

    I run a side business and ship items daily. I have large boxes over 20" on
    the longest side and rigid padding to protect the item inside. Cost of this
    packing has to be recovered and I charge only $4. $15 for 1000 prints is
    excessive. It takes relatively little packaging for 1000 prints. It is
    obvious they hide profits in the shipping to make up for a lowball price.

    They are not as bad as some. One of my suppliers stick me with a $20 fee
    (USPS parcel post) for a $98 purchase. The package is less than 3 pounds and
    no larger than 8 inches on the longest side!

    -S
    SimonLW, Feb 8, 2007
  19. samduhman

    gemini Guest

    On Feb 8, 11:20 am, "stefos" <> wrote:

    > I've actually found Snapfish to be the best of the lot! Good quality prints
    > etc. but mainly because I can collect at my local Jessops therefore not
    > incuring postal charges.

    Yeah, I chose this way.

    But after 1 month waiting for my order to be delivered I finally wrote
    to Snapfish and let them know my problem. They answered me a week ago,
    that they must check this and up to now I don't have any information
    from them.. Will keep on waiting, what to do.
    gemini, Feb 8, 2007
  20. samduhman

    samduhman Guest

    Thanks for the opinions everyone. Except for a couple who disagree I
    see that the majority agree that Snapfish is low balling and socking
    it to you at the end. Listen I've ordered literally hundreds of items
    online and have never to my recollection been hit with a handling fee
    that high. Like others said the price of packing, moving, whatever
    should be included in the items cost. No I didn't read the fine print
    becuase I wasn't expecting to get ripped off. I had no idea how much
    the package was going to weight thats why I was uncertain of the
    shipping charge until I recieved it and researched the situation.

    Its been over a year. Is having your pictures developed locally become
    a better option? I don't have a Costco near me but pretty much
    everything else.
    samduhman, Feb 8, 2007