    spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more
    details

    --

    Snoopy, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Hi there,

    Snoopy *is n wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thinking of changing to Snap. What is the international newsfeed
    > like?
    >
    > SNOOPY

    I'm only on a few int'l groups, but all seems OK. The dialup has
    barely missed a beat in a whole year I've been with them...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:31:03 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Snoopy *is n wrote:
    >>
    >>Thinking of changing to Snap. What is the international newsfeed
    >>like?
    >>

    >I'm only on a few int'l groups, but all seems OK. The dialup has
    >barely missed a beat in a whole year I've been with them...

    How many days posts does the Snap international news server hold?

    SNOOPY

    --
    Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant

    Snoopy, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Hi there,

    Snoopy *is n wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:31:03 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Snoopy *is n wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thinking of changing to Snap. What is the international newsfeed
    >>>like?
    >>>

    >>I'm only on a few int'l groups, but all seems OK. The dialup has
    >>barely missed a beat in a whole year I've been with them...

    > How many days posts does the Snap international news server hold?

    Hard to know, since every time I subscribe a new group I download
    only a few thousand newest headers at most...

    The last int'l group I jumped onto (alt.fan.tolkien) had over
    15000 headers to download, so I assume that they seem to have
    a fairly big cache of downloaded headers...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:15:42 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Snoopy *is n wrote:
    >> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:31:03 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Snoopy *is n wrote:

    >>How many days posts does the Snap international news server hold?

    >The last int'l group I jumped onto (alt.fan.tolkien) had over
    >15000 headers to download, so I assume that they seem to have
    >a fairly big cache of downloaded headers...

    OK, I just jumped onto alt.fan.tolkien myself from Caverock. There
    were 8345 messages to download. One January 2nd I counted 220
    messages posted. If that day was typical that means the Caverock
    newsserver holds 8345/220= 37 days of posts.

    If Snap has 15000 headers that makes 15000/220= 68 days of posts.

    Impressive!

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Snoopy

    pbs Guest

    Snoopy *is n wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 17:31:03 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Snoopy *is n wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thinking of changing to Snap. What is the international newsfeed
    >>>like?
    >>>

    >>I'm only on a few int'l groups, but all seems OK. The dialup has
    >>barely missed a beat in a whole year I've been with them...
    >>

    > How many days posts does the Snap international news server hold?

    You can ask the server with telnet.

    telnet news.ISP.nz 119
    help
    returns a list of valid commands of which you need "group" and "head"
    or if "head" is not not availble "article"
    group nz.comp
    From RFC 977: [start of quote] will return the article numbers of
    the first and last articles in the group, and an estimate of the
    number of articles on file in the group.
    [snip]
    When a valid group is selected by means of this command, the
    internally maintained "current article pointer" is set to the first
    article in the group. [end of quote]
    head
    returns the header of the first article.
    or
    article
    returns all of the first article
    quit
    to quit

    See http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/nntp.htm for more details
    of the protocol.

    pbs, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Hi there,

    Snoopy *is n wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:15:42 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Snoopy *is n wrote:

    >>>How many days posts does the Snap international news server hold?

    >>The last int'l group I jumped onto (alt.fan.tolkien) had over
    >>15000 headers to download, so I assume that they seem to have
    >>a fairly big cache of downloaded headers...

    > OK, I just jumped onto alt.fan.tolkien myself from Caverock. There
    > were 8345 messages to download. One January 2nd I counted 220
    > messages posted. If that day was typical that means the Caverock
    > newsserver holds 8345/220= 37 days of posts.
    >
    > If Snap has 15000 headers that makes 15000/220= 68 days of posts.

    In reality a few weeks of actively cached headers would be more than
    enough, as not many threads would run longer than that. I've yet to
    see a newsgroup that isn't archived somewhere, so dredging up old
    posts is purely a matter of finding where they are archived. Google
    groups is pretty good, as are others...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 22:19:22 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Snoopy *is n wrote:
    >>
    >> If Snap has 15000 headers that makes 15000/220= 68 days of posts.

    >In reality a few weeks of actively cached headers would be more than
    >enough, as not many threads would run longer than that. I've yet to
    >see a newsgroup that isn't archived somewhere, so dredging up old
    >posts is purely a matter of finding where they are archived. Google
    >groups is pretty good, as are others...

    Last time I looked Xtra only caches messages for a few days. Also
    some ISPs have a policy of not caching the 'alt' groups for more than
    a few days, but they are more generous with the 'Big 8' groups. But
    a couple of months worth of posts on 'alt.fan.tolkein' sounds
    brilliant!

    Yes I am well aware of Google.groups. But I follow a few key
    overseas newsgroups and prefger to keep them archived on my own
    computer as 'newsgroup text'. I find 'Free Agent' has a much more
    user friendly reference system than 'group.google.'

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:41:12 +1300, pbs
    <> wrote:

    >Snoopy *is n wrote:
    >>
    >> How many days posts does the Snap international news server hold?

    >You can ask the server with telnet.

    It is years since I used that, but why not? I'll give it a go.

    >telnet news.ISP.nz 119

    Looking at the protocol code you referenced below

    http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/nntp.htm

    and for the code 119. It tells me that the first '1' means I am
    requesting information, ('Informative message').

    The second '1' means I am asking about newsgroup information
    ('Newsgroup selection').

    But what does the third figure (9) mean?

    I guess you are suggesting that I type:

    telnet news.ISP.nz 119 help

    into a DOS prompt and I should get some answers.

    But when I substitute 'caverock' for 'ISP' and press the button I can
    log on OK, but I can't get any 'help'. What is going on here?

    If I try another ISP (not my own), (in this case Snap) I am denied
    access permission. That is not too surprising to me.

    So it seems as though I can log onto my own ISP with Telnet, but can't
    do anything. And I am denied permission to log onto other ISPs via
    Telnet. I feel as though I am missing something here!

    Can I use 'telnet' to find out the number of posts in any newsgroup
    from an ISP or not? Anyone?

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Feb 6, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z (*is n) wrote:

    >On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:41:12 +1300, pbs
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>telnet news.ISP.nz 119
    >>

    >Looking at the protocol code you referenced below
    >
    >http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/nntp.htm
    >
    >and for the code 119. It tells me that the first '1' means I am
    >requesting information, ('Informative message').
    >
    >The second '1' means I am asking about newsgroup information
    >('Newsgroup selection').
    >
    >But what does the third figure (9) mean?

    No, 119 is the TCP port number for NNTP
    <http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>. Telnet is a useful tool
    for making TCP connections which use text-based protocols, not just for
    connecting to the Telnet service (port 23). For example, I use it all
    the time for testing SMTP server configurations.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 6, 2004
  11. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:29:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z (*is n) wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:41:12 +1300, pbs
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>telnet news.ISP.nz 119
    >>>

    >>Looking at the protocol code you referenced below
    >>
    >>http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/nntp.htm
    >>
    >>and for the code 119. It tells me that the first '1' means I am
    >>requesting information, ('Informative message').
    >>
    >>The second '1' means I am asking about newsgroup information
    >>('Newsgroup selection').
    >>
    >>But what does the third figure (9) mean?

    >No, 119 is the TCP port number for NNTP
    ><http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>.

    OK thanks.

    So how is my syntax?

    telnet news.ISP.nz 119 help

    Should the above work?

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Feb 6, 2004
  12. Snoopy

    pbs Guest

    Snoopy *is n wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 15:29:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <>,
    >>(Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z (*is n) wrote:

    >>>Looking at the protocol code you referenced below
    >>>
    >>>http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/nntp.htm
    >>>
    >>>and for the code 119. It tells me that the first '1' means I am
    >>>requesting information, ('Informative message').
    >>>
    >>>The second '1' means I am asking about newsgroup information
    >>>('Newsgroup selection').
    >>>
    >>>But what does the third figure (9) mean?

    >>No, 119 is the TCP port number for NNTP
    >><http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>.
    >>

    > OK thanks.
    >
    > So how is my syntax?
    >
    > telnet news.ISP.nz 119 help
    >

    > Should the above work?

    A lot of services over the internet are delivered in interactive ASCII
    text format. So you can connect to them using telnet and the port
    number. Then you enter the specific commands for that service.

    telnet news.ISP.nz 119
    will connect you to the ISP news service which uses
    port nntp which is number 119. Once connected type
    HELP
    which will list the available commands. NB most (all?) nntp
    servers are not case sensitive.

    telnet UNIX.host.nz
    will connect you to the default (23) port which will start a
    terminal session with a "login:" prompt.

    telnet mailserver.ISP.nz 25
    will connect you to the ISP smtp mail server using port 25.
    HELP
    upper case HELP is a recognised command.

    telnet ftp.ISP.nz 21
    will connect you to the ftp service which uses port 21.
    HELP
    upper case HELP is a recognised command.

    telnet www.ISP.nz 80
    will connect you to the http (80) port.
    GET /
    upper case "GET /" will probably return the home page. If not
    then an html error page.

    pbs, Feb 6, 2004