    that read **SMURF** then an ip address. My network is not broadcasting and I
    only allow three machine to connect to it via their mac address. Should I be
    concerned?
    =?Utf-8?B?RGFycmFu?=, Jan 4, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGFycmFu?=

    mikeFNB Guest

    yes it can be nasty

    http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p...F-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t-1&fl=0&vc=&x=wrt&meta=vc=

    mike

    "Darran" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > anyone have any knowledge on wireless smurf attacks. I have a belkin

    wireless
    > router and I recently checked the security log and found a couple of

    entries

    mikeFNB, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Darran,

    These are IP-level attacks, and are not related to wireless, most likely
    they are coming from the internet, not from the wireless network, but you
    can check the source IP address to determine that. If you see the message
    in your logs, then your router is most certainly catching these attacks.
    Most routers would be configured to not respond to ICMP messages (coming
    from the external, internet facing interface), because there is really no
    need to. Any attack that is being caught is most likely not affecting your
    network in any way, except by the fact that annoying messages are clogging
    your logs. You may confirm that with the manufacturer of your router.

    --
    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Jan 6, 2005
  4. Many Thanks Brian. I have also checked with a colleague at work and showed
    him a copy of the security log and he also states that its come from the net
    rather than wireless. He also believes that as it is in the log, the router
    has caught it and no harm has been done.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFycmFu?=, Jan 6, 2005