    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Global_Killa

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Global_Killa" <> wrote in
    news:cafns6$n7g$:

    > Does anyone one know of a good SMTP Server program. I want it to
    > work on
    > a stand alone computer. I want to be able to use the program instead
    > of my ISP SMTP.

    I will tell you that unless you have a static IP and a domain name with
    reverse DNS lookup that matches, it won't work very well. What I do at home
    is have a machine that among other things runs Mercury mail server (free
    download). I use the SMTP Relay module, which takes all the email I send
    and uses my ISP's SMTP server to resend it through. When their server dies
    (often), mine just holds it and sends it later. Also lets you do stuff
    like email pooling (downloads mail from a bunch of email accounts to a
    local pop3 or IMAP account). Really nifty stuff.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Global_Killa

    Ava Keech Guest

    >> Does anyone one know of a good SMTP Server program. I want it to
    >> work on a stand alone computer. I want to be able to use the program instead
    >> of my ISP SMTP.

    >I will tell you that unless you have a static IP and a domain name with
    >reverse DNS lookup that matches, it won't work very well.

    Do NOT listen to the above "advice". It will lead you astray.

    Download ArGoSoft freeware mail server from here:
    http://www.argosoft.com/files/apps/agsmail.exe

    Set your email program SMTP address to 127.0.0.1 and everything will work fine.
    Ava Keech, Jun 13, 2004
  4. Global_Killa

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Ava Keech <> wrote in

    > Do NOT listen to the above "advice". It will lead you astray.
    >
    > Download ArGoSoft freeware mail server from here:
    > http://www.argosoft.com/files/apps/agsmail.exe
    >
    > Set your email program SMTP address to 127.0.0.1 and everything will
    > work fine.

    Ok, here's the deal Ava. I use a real mail server at home. If you are
    just sending it from your IP address, there are a good percentage of mail
    servers that will reject your mail. Why? You are not someone on their
    network (based on having a different IP range), and your computer does
    not have a valid reverse lookup, indicating you are probably some type of
    spam bot/virus that infected a machine. I can tell you this from
    personal experience. If you would like I can dig up my mail server logs
    from a while ago and show you.

    If you will monitor your SMTP sessions, you'll see something like the
    following:
    EHLO jim.my.house //this is one of my machine's names

    What happens now though is that I connect to, say, my work's mail server,
    which is smtp.snip.net. I connect and they see my IP is 68.44.142.141.
    My server says EHLO mail.my.house (or whatever your machine's name is),
    and the reverse lookup says pcp05102306pcs.audubn01.nj.comcast.net. So
    the domains don't match, and the mail is rejected. Now, what if I just
    change my internal domain to comcast.net (ignoring other problems this
    causes).

    Most servers will now look up the MX record for whatever the IP address
    was:
    > set type=mx
    > 68.44.142.141

    Server: ns1.snip.net
    Address: 209.204.64.2

    *** ns1.snip.net can't find 68.44.142.141: Non-existent domain

    so now the receiving SMTP server sees that my IP is external, that the
    reverse lookup isn't accurate, and I do not have a mail exchange record.
    It'd be pretty weird for me to be running a legit mail server and not
    have those things. Thus your email is rejected.

    What you can do is as I said, relay through your ISP's server. They
    should allow this, as it looks basically like a regular SMTP session and
    you are on their network.

    More info:
    http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/solutions/dns.html
    Jim Berwick, Jun 13, 2004
  5. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    > Does anyone one know of a good SMTP Server program. I want it to work

    on
    > a stand alone computer. I want to be able to use the program instead of my
    > ISP SMTP.
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,
    >
    > --
    > Global_Killa
    > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    >
    > http://punkthenation.tk

    The reason I'm asking is because I want to be able to bounce e-mail, and for
    some reason my ISP wont let me bounce from their mail server, so I figured I
    could have a program that will change my computer into a mail server and
    tell MailWasher to use that SMTP server.

    I've downloaded a few programs. But none of them work, they just wont send
    the e-mail.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jun 13, 2004
  6. Global_Killa

    derek / nul Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:18:24 +0100, "Global_Killa" <>
    wrote:

    >"Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    >> Hey all,
    >> Does anyone one know of a good SMTP Server program. I want it to work

    >on
    >> a stand alone computer. I want to be able to use the program instead of my
    >> ISP SMTP.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any advice,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Global_Killa
    >> "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    >>
    >> http://punkthenation.tk

    >The reason I'm asking is because I want to be able to bounce e-mail, and for
    >some reason my ISP wont let me bounce from their mail server, so I figured I
    >could have a program that will change my computer into a mail server and
    >tell MailWasher to use that SMTP server.

    It is not good practice to bounce mail.
    With all of the spammers using other peoples addresses to spam with, when you
    bounce email it gets delivered to a real person, but not a person involved in
    spam.

    It is better to drop the email.

    Derek
    derek / nul, Jun 14, 2004