SMTP traffic getting through router and firewall

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by K.J. 44, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. K.J. 44

    K.J. 44 Guest

    I am able to telnet to my SMTP server from my router and I can see a
    permit match on the ACL of my outer interface of my router when someone
    from outside telnet's in, but their connection doesn't work.

    ROUTER --------- FIREWALL --------SMTP Server

    Is there a way to see if the packet is making it through the router and
    to the ASA? I tried debug smtp but nothing came up even when the
    connection was successful from the router. There are no ACLs outbound
    on my inside interface of the router.

    Internet ---------Router -------------Firewall --------SMTP Server
    Works from here------------------->
    Works to here----|
    ACL match permits into outside interface.

    Thanks.
    K.J. 44, Sep 14, 2006

  2. K.J. 44

    K.J. 44 Guest

    it is allowed by the ACL:

    *Sep 14 18:37:52.195: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP: list filterin permitted tcp
    206.114.4
    7.212(1890) (FastEthernet0/1 00a0.c815.e26d) -> PUBLIC IP(25), 1 packet

    but it doesn't make it out of the router. I have a static route to
    send it to the firewall. What could be getting in the way?

    Thanks.

    K.J. 44, Sep 14, 2006

  3. K.J. 44

    K.J. 44 Guest

    Nevermind, all is well. Wasn't allowing return traffic out of the
    outside interface. All set now. Talk to you guys when i start working
    on VPNs.... :)

    Thanks for all your help and support.

    K.J. 44, Sep 14, 2006