  1. Guest

    This could happen to you be careful:

    SMS SCAMS

    24 Jan 2006, 03:04:39 PM
    Reporter: Helen Wellings
    They're telemarketer's dreams - mobile phones generate fortunes for
    scammers. With around 20 million mobile phone users around Australia,
    those fraudsters can't lose. In fact complaints to the
    Telecommunications Ombudsman about bills for premium rate SMS's have
    tripled in the past year - and text spams top the list.
    Gordon Renouf, of the Australian Consumers' Association, publishers of
    Choice magazine, warns "There's more and more of this kind of spam
    going to go out to consumers. It's only going to get worse unless the
    regulations are fixed up."
    The latest rackets attacking mobile users left, right and centre -
    offers of so-called "free" ringtones, "you've won a competition for a
    trip" scams and innocent-looking text messaging that tricks you into
    replying.
    "All the text messages were inviting and playful and much like a friend
    would text you that's really what got me in," says IT expert Steve
    Marr. He was intrigued by an SMS from someone say "Hi it's Susan. I'm
    back. Contact me." Thinking it was an old acquaintance just back from
    overseas, naturally he sent back a text message. "It came back with a
    very bizarre message saying "blonde hair blue eyes long legs. Does that
    help?" I thought I still don't know who this person is but they're
    having a lend of me. Someone's got a sense of humour I'll play along."
    After a few text messages, he discovered he couldn't make a call from
    his prepaid mobile, even though he'd just bought $30 worth of credit.
    Steve was scammed! By replying to the message, he'd automatically
    become a subscriber to a chat service. Every time the service messages
    him, it costs him $4 up; his replies cost him 50 cents.

    Source: http://www.pbxinfo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18067

    So don't reply to any Text Message you get unless you know the person
    for sure or you could be signing up for a chat service and not know it!

    , Jun 12, 2006