SMS request

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nicholas Sherlock, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. SMS-COP wrote:
    > What is currently being sought is someone who would be prepared to send the
    > illegal holder of the handset a message on behalf of the owner.
    >
    > Recompense of the text message cost for sending a customised warning message
    > is available if required, or if someone on 021 is prepared to send a message
    > free during the weekend this would also be welcome.

    Recompense for 20c? Heh, I'll send the message for you for nothing.
    Email me with the details (Address is real), or reply here.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    --
    http://www.sherlocksoftware.org
    Nicholas Sherlock, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Nicholas Sherlock

    SMS-COP Guest

    Recently someone stole a cellphone and intriguingly appear to have recharged
    the phone and are still using the original SIM card.

    Vodafone won't allow a manual web2txt signup over the phone to allow a
    message to be sent to the thief, even though I have the IMEI and PUK codes
    (they took the phone and the charger only leaving the original boxes) so the
    thief now has the signup code instead (as it was discovered that the signup
    process sends it to the phone.)

    The phone has not yet been blacklisted nor has the number been barred at
    this point to help gather some information regarding transmitter location
    and call usage that may assist with identifying the thief and their
    location/movements.

    What is currently being sought is someone who would be prepared to send the
    illegal holder of the handset a message on behalf of the owner.

    Recompense of the text message cost for sending a customised warning message
    is available if required, or if someone on 021 is prepared to send a message
    free during the weekend this would also be welcome.

    Anyone willing to help out?

    Cellphone number and customised warning message available on request.
    SMS-COP, Mar 21, 2006

  3. Nicholas Sherlock

    krazy Bob Guest

    "SMS-COP" <> wrote in message
    > Recently someone stole a cellphone and intriguingly appear to have
    > recharged
    > the phone and are still using the original SIM card.
    >
    > Vodafone won't allow a manual web2txt signup over the phone to allow a
    > message to be sent to the thief, even though I have the IMEI and PUK codes
    > (they took the phone and the charger only leaving the original boxes) so
    > the
    > thief now has the signup code instead (as it was discovered that the
    > signup
    > process sends it to the phone.)
    >
    > The phone has not yet been blacklisted nor has the number been barred at
    > this point to help gather some information regarding transmitter location
    > and call usage that may assist with identifying the thief and their
    > location/movements.
    >
    > What is currently being sought is someone who would be prepared to send
    > the
    > illegal holder of the handset a message on behalf of the owner.
    >
    > Recompense of the text message cost for sending a customised warning
    > message
    > is available if required, or if someone on 021 is prepared to send a
    > message
    > free during the weekend this would also be welcome.
    >
    > Anyone willing to help out?
    >
    > Cellphone number and customised warning message available on request.

    Yea man, ill do it for free, But Doubt they will reply or anything.

    Post back here and ill see what i can do for you

    KB
    krazy Bob, Mar 21, 2006
  4. Nicholas Sherlock

    SMS-COP Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > SMS-COP wrote:
    > > What is currently being sought is someone who would be prepared to send

    the
    > > illegal holder of the handset a message on behalf of the owner.
    > >
    > > Recompense of the text message cost for sending a customised warning

    message
    > > is available if required, or if someone on 021 is prepared to send a

    message
    > > free during the weekend this would also be welcome.

    > Recompense for 20c? Heh, I'll send the message for you for nothing.
    > Email me with the details (Address is real), or reply here.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock
    >
    > --
    > http://www.sherlocksoftware.org

    Thanks for your offer of assistance with this matter.

    After a search for suitable web-based alternatives to the Vodafone web2txt
    service, it became apparent that it is difficult to send a text message
    without actually having a phone. :)
    SMS-COP, Mar 21, 2006
  5. Nicholas Sherlock

    SMS-COP Guest

    "krazy Bob" <> wrote in message

    > Yea man, ill do it for free, But Doubt they will reply or anything.
    >
    > Post back here and ill see what i can do for you
    >
    > KB

    Thanks for your offer krazy Bob. Nicholas beat you to it sorry - he's
    pretty quick off the mark :)

    Although the prospect of a DOS text campaign during a Vodafone weekend has
    some intriguing possibilities, just a single warning message in this
    instance will determine whether we're dealing with someone with a conscience
    or not.

    I will keep people posted if there are any developments.

    Thanks to all.
    SMS-COP, Mar 21, 2006
  6. SMS-COP wrote:

    > "krazy Bob" <> wrote in message

    > > Post back here and ill see what i can do for you

    > Although the prospect of a DOS text campaign during a Vodafone weekend has
    > some intriguing possibilities, just a single warning message in this
    > instance will determine whether we're dealing with someone with a conscience
    > or not.
    >
    > I will keep people posted if there are any developments.

    If the thief is using your SIM card and you haven't disabled your
    Vodafone account, wouldn't that mean that you run the risk of being hit
    with a huge bill for calls made by the thief?
    alastair.geek.nz, Mar 21, 2006
  7. Nicholas Sherlock

    SMS-COP Guest

    "alastair.geek.nz" <> wrote in message

    > If the thief is using your SIM card and you haven't disabled your
    > Vodafone account, wouldn't that mean that you run the risk of being hit
    > with a huge bill for calls made by the thief?

    Not on Prepay with a couple of dollars to play with. Most likely a youth
    with eyes on free text weekends based upon the circumstances.

    The handset blacklist and SIM bar will come if it's not recovered soon, but
    if they ignore the warning it's just a matter of giving them some rope...
    SMS-COP, Mar 21, 2006
  8. Nicholas Sherlock

    ~misfit~ Guest

    SMS-COP wrote:
    > "krazy Bob" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Yea man, ill do it for free, But Doubt they will reply or anything.
    >>
    >> Post back here and ill see what i can do for you
    >>
    >> KB

    > Thanks for your offer krazy Bob. Nicholas beat you to it sorry - he's
    > pretty quick off the mark :)
    >
    > Although the prospect of a DOS text campaign during a Vodafone
    > weekend has some intriguing possibilities,

    Heh! I hate theives, count me in on the free txt weekend DOS attack if you
    want to do it. misfitnz at gmail dot com.

    > just a single warning
    > message in this instance will determine whether we're dealing with
    > someone with a conscience or not.

    Sadly they're increasingly rare.

    > I will keep people posted if there are any developments.

    That would be good.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 21, 2006
  9. On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:28:49 +1200, SMS-COP wrote:

    > Vodafone won't allow a manual web2txt signup over the phone to allow a
    > message to be sent to the thief, even though I have the IMEI and PUK codes
    > (they took the phone and the charger only leaving the original boxes) so the
    > thief now has the signup code instead (as it was discovered that the signup
    > process sends it to the phone.)

    If you wish to blacklist the phone, report the phone stolen to the Police,
    get a complaint form, bring that, the box and the receipt for the phone
    into a Vodafone store, and they should get you to fill in a blacklist
    form. Once that and everything else is faxed to Vodafone's Fraud
    Department, that'll stop the phone being used on the Vodafone NZ network.

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Mar 21, 2006
  10. Nicholas Sherlock

    Richard Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > If you wish to blacklist the phone, report the phone stolen to the Police,
    > get a complaint form, bring that, the box and the receipt for the phone
    > into a Vodafone store, and they should get you to fill in a blacklist
    > form. Once that and everything else is faxed to Vodafone's Fraud
    > Department, that'll stop the phone being used on the Vodafone NZ network.

    They make it so hard, because as long as the phone is on there network its
    creating revenue for them so in there interests not to block it.
    Richard, Mar 21, 2006
  11. Nicholas Sherlock

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >
    >> If you wish to blacklist the phone, report the phone stolen to the
    >> Police, get a complaint form, bring that, the box and the receipt
    >> for the phone into a Vodafone store, and they should get you to fill
    >> in a blacklist form. Once that and everything else is faxed to
    >> Vodafone's Fraud Department, that'll stop the phone being used on
    >> the Vodafone NZ network.

    > They make it so hard, because as long as the phone is on there
    > network its creating revenue for them so in there interests not to
    > block it.

    They also make it hard to stop anyone getting someone else's phone
    blacklisted.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 22, 2006
  12. Nicholas Sherlock

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>They make it so hard, because as long as the phone is on there
    >>network its creating revenue for them so in there interests not to
    >>block it.

    > They also make it hard to stop anyone getting someone else's phone
    > blacklisted.

    I would have thought that me having the reciept with the iemi on in, and the end
    of the box, and the flap from the prepay connection pack would be enough, but
    they wanted a police report and last time i did that I was waiting in a smelly
    cop shop for about 45 mins.
    Richard, Mar 22, 2006
  13. Nicholas Sherlock

    Craig Shore Guest

    wrote:

    >Anyone willing to help out?

    You should just ring them and trick them into giving you their address.
    Craig Shore, Mar 22, 2006
  14. Nicholas Sherlock

    SNOman Guest

    SMS-COP wrote:
    > Recently someone stole a cellphone and intriguingly appear to have recharged
    > the phone and are still using the original SIM card.
    >
    > Vodafone won't allow a manual web2txt signup over the phone to allow a
    > message to be sent to the thief, even though I have the IMEI and PUK codes
    > (they took the phone and the charger only leaving the original boxes) so the
    > thief now has the signup code instead (as it was discovered that the signup
    > process sends it to the phone.)
    >
    > The phone has not yet been blacklisted nor has the number been barred at
    > this point to help gather some information regarding transmitter location
    > and call usage that may assist with identifying the thief and their
    > location/movements.
    >
    > What is currently being sought is someone who would be prepared to send the
    > illegal holder of the handset a message on behalf of the owner.
    >
    > Recompense of the text message cost for sending a customised warning message
    > is available if required, or if someone on 021 is prepared to send a message
    > free during the weekend this would also be welcome.
    >
    > Anyone willing to help out?
    >
    > Cellphone number and customised warning message available on request.

    You should get someone to send them a txt with info that they've won
    some sort of txt contest just by using the txt service and as it's a
    prepay phone they need to contact you to supply name and address for the
    'delivery' of the prise. Make the prise temping enough so that they
    actually contact you :)
    SNOman, Mar 23, 2006
  15. Nicholas Sherlock

    jedmeister Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:28:49 +1200, "SMS-COP"
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Anyone willing to help out?

    > You should just ring them and trick them into giving you their address.
    >
    >\

    he he like they won't be expecting that
    jedmeister, Mar 24, 2006
  16. Nicholas Sherlock

    paradise Guest

    Re: Heres an idea .....SMS request

    Heres an idea to catch the culprit

    Get someone else to post a messege ...saying...
    CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE WON FIRST PRIZE
    (make up a prize) to recieve your prize ...please come to (address) with the
    cell phone as proof. (at a time and date)

    you could arrange with a Vodaphone outlet or somewhere they wouldnt get
    suspicious.

    They could even be given a voucher ...by which he/she has to put all
    his/her details ...name address ...car licence etc

    Worth ago anyway.

    NZed

    paradise, Mar 24, 2006
  17. Nicholas Sherlock

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 19:06:14 +1200, "jedmeister" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:28:49 +1200, "SMS-COP"
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Anyone willing to help out?

    >> You should just ring them and trick them into giving you their address.
    >>
    >>\

    >he he like they won't be expecting that

    Ring them up, not text. Hi it's <name> here from <company>. You entered a
    competition on our www site on <date before phone was stolen>. I'm just calling
    to let you know you've won the first prize, the ipod nano. We'll need to get an
    address from where we can courier your prize to.

    If you make yourself sound convincing, I would put money on it that this would
    work.
    Craig Shore, Mar 25, 2006
  18. Nicholas Sherlock

    KewlKiwi Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > Ring them up, not text. Hi it's <name> here from <company>. You entered a
    > competition on our www site on <date before phone was stolen>. I'm just calling
    > to let you know you've won the first prize, the ipod nano. We'll need to get an
    > address from where we can courier your prize to.
    >
    > If you make yourself sound convincing, I would put money on it that this would
    > work.

    Unless, of course, they read usenet!
    In which case they'd be quietly chortling away right now...
    KewlKiwi, Mar 25, 2006