SMS out from PC (linked to cellphone?)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with a
    cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to the
    PC, the cellphone will send an SMS txt out to a predetermined list of
    recipients.

    This seems like something that should be really easy and very common,
    but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google - perhaps I
    am searching badly...

    I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd rather
    do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep it
    totally in-house.

    Any ideas anyone?

    Thanks,
    --
    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Mar 6, 2007

  2. Alan

    Richard Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with a
    > cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to the
    > PC, the cellphone will send an SMS txt out to a predetermined list of
    > recipients.
    >
    > This seems like something that should be really easy and very common,
    > but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google - perhaps I
    > am searching badly...
    >
    > I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd rather
    > do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep it
    > totally in-house.

    There are AT commands to send SMS's, they didnt work on the CDMA phone
    that I tried it on however. Just send them to the comport that the
    cellphones modem appears on when it associates via bluetooth.

    Richard, Mar 6, 2007

  3. Alan

    Dave Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with a
    > cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to the
    > PC, the cellphone will send an SMS txt out to a predetermined list of
    > recipients.
    >
    > This seems like something that should be really easy and very common,
    > but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google - perhaps I
    > am searching badly...
    >
    > I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd rather
    > do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep it
    > totally in-house.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Alan,
    Assuming you are using a Nokia phone, there's software available on
    http://www.gnokii.org/ but you will need to compile it yourself, see
    http://www.gnokii.org/docs.shtml#win32 for info. If you don't fancy
    compiling it, have a look at the site anyway for info on connectors/cables
    http://www.gnokii.org/cables.shtml. When you find the connector/cable you
    need, pop the name of it along with "sms" into google and I'm sure you will
    find software to do just what you want.

    I've done similar but used a GSM modem (aka Premicell) which had a serial
    port and accepted AT commands which is far easier to write software for.

    Dave.

    Dave, Mar 16, 2007
  4. Alan

    Guest

    On Mar 17, 12:56 am, "Dave" <> wrote:
    > Alan wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with a
    > > cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to the
    > > PC, the cellphone will send anSMStxt out to a predetermined list of
    > > recipients.

    > > This seems like something that should be really easy and very common,
    > > but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google - perhaps I
    > > am searching badly...

    > > I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd rather
    > > do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep it
    > > totally in-house.

    > > Any ideas anyone?

    > > Thanks,

    > Alan,
    > Assuming you are using a Nokia phone, there's software available onhttp://www.gnokii.org/but you will need to compile it yourself, seehttp://www.gnokii.org/docs.shtml#win32for info. If you don't fancy
    > compiling it, have a look at the site anyway for info on connectors/cableshttp://www.gnokii.org/cables.shtml. When you find the connector/cable you
    > need, pop the name of it along with "sms" into google and I'm sure you will
    > find software to do just what you want.
    >
    > I've done similar but used a GSM modem (aka Premicell) which had a serial
    > port and accepted AT commands which is far easier to write software for.
    >
    > Dave.

    There are plenty of such Email to SMS solutions around, you can take a
    look at this example - http://www.visualgsm.com/online_demo2.htm. You
    can also set to forward all SMS received on an Email POP3 account to a
    specific group of SMS or SMS user.

    , Apr 18, 2007
  5. Alan

    Alan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 17, 12:56 am, "Dave" <> wrote:
    >> Alan wrote:
    >> > Hi All,

    >> > I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with
    >> > cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to
    >> > the
    >> > PC, the cellphone will send anSMStxt out to a predetermined list
    >> > of
    >> > recipients.

    >> > This seems like something that should be really easy and very
    >> > common,
    >> > but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google -
    >> > perhaps I
    >> > am searching badly...

    >> > I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd
    >> > rather
    >> > do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep
    >> > it
    >> > totally in-house.

    >> > Any ideas anyone?

    >> > Thanks,

    >> Alan,
    >> Assuming you are using a Nokia phone, there's software available
    >> onhttp://www.gnokii.org/but you will need to compile it yourself,
    >> seehttp://www.gnokii.org/docs.shtml#win32for info. If you don't
    >> fancy
    >> compiling it, have a look at the site anyway for info on
    >> connectors/cableshttp://www.gnokii.org/cables.shtml. When you find
    >> the connector/cable you
    >> need, pop the name of it along with "sms" into google and I'm sure
    >> you will
    >> find software to do just what you want.
    >>
    >> I've done similar but used a GSM modem (aka Premicell) which had a
    >> serial
    >> port and accepted AT commands which is far easier to write software
    >> for.
    >>
    >> Dave.

    > There are plenty of such Email to SMS solutions around, you can take
    > look at this example - http://www.visualgsm.com/online_demo2.htm.
    > You
    > can also set to forward all SMS received on an Email POP3 account to
    > specific group of SMS or SMS user.

    Hi Joshua,

    This would be an alert covering, amongst other things, loss of
    connectivity, so I really need it to go out via the cell network.

    I was very explicit in my OP!

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    Alan, Apr 18, 2007
  6. Alan

    dr mindfark Guest

    On Mar 6, 2:33 pm, "Alan" <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I would like to setup a PC and cellphone (linked presumably with a
    > cable supplied with the phone) so that when an email comes in to the
    > PC, the cellphone will send an SMS txt out to a predetermined list of
    > recipients.
    >
    > This seems like something that should be really easy and very common,
    > but I can't seem to find anything that does this on google - perhaps I
    > am searching badly...
    >
    > I have found plenty of services doing similar things, but I'd rather
    > do it the above way with an old PC, and a prepay phone and keep it
    > totally in-house.
    >
    > Any ideas anyone?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > Alan.
    >
    > The views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer or anyone
    > else associated with me.
    >
    > My current valid email address is:
    >

    > This is valid as is. It is not munged, or altered at all.
    >
    > It will be valid for AT LEAST one month from the date of this post.
    >
    > If you are trying to contact me after that time,
    > it MAY still be valid, but may also have been
    > deactivated due to spam. If so, and you want
    > to contact me by email, try searching for a
    > more recent post by me to find my current
    > email address.
    >
    > The following is a (probably!) totally unique
    > and meaningless string of characters that you
    > can use to find posts by me in a search engine:
    >
    > ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    The best one i Think is NowSMS , It will use any "AT Command" capable
    phone, It will send all sorts of MSG's like WAP & Multimedia Messages.
    I am sure this is what alot of the SMS type gateways & SMS services
    use.

    A list of Compatible phones can be found at

    at http://www.nowsms.com/framer.htm?http://www.nowsms.com/discus/messages/1/4218.html

    dr mindfark, Apr 19, 2007
  7. Alan

    Alan Guest