SMS messages

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brendan, Apr 3, 2005.

  1. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    I have looked via google at many web sites offering cellphone SMS services,
    and they are either too expensive, too vauge, or smell a bit scam-like.

    What I would like is a cheap, reliable email to SMS, SMS to email system
    that will work with the Telecom network in NZ, and also possibly others.

    I'd only be sending maybe a few a day, so minimal really. Would be best if
    I do not have to install software but can use it via email or a web site.
    But I'd consider a special app if there was really some worthwhile
    advantage.

    So please list me your experiences and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "No matter how hard you try, there is always going to be someone more underground than you." -- Robert Fulford

    Note: All my comments are copyright 3/04/2005 11:56:26 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 3, 2005

  2. Brendan

    Mutlley Guest

    Brendan <> wrote:

    >I have looked via google at many web sites offering cellphone SMS services,
    >and they are either too expensive, too vauge, or smell a bit scam-like.
    >
    >What I would like is a cheap, reliable email to SMS, SMS to email system
    >that will work with the Telecom network in NZ, and also possibly others.
    >
    >I'd only be sending maybe a few a day, so minimal really. Would be best if
    >I do not have to install software but can use it via email or a web site.
    >But I'd consider a special app if there was really some worthwhile
    >advantage.
    >
    >So please list me your experiences and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

    I assume your talking PC bases SMS service??? If so I will watch
    this thread as the ones I have tried only seem to handle GSM networks
    despite the fact that some (ipipi.com is one) advertise Telecom NZ as
    well..

    Mutlley, Apr 3, 2005

  3. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On 3 Apr 2005 08:16:21 -0700, wrote:

    > Clickatell (www.clickatell.com) are good. Pretty cheap (although to
    > telecom is a bit more expensive than vodafone), and they have a number
    > of different gateway methods, including email (read the docs for the
    > SMTP gateway and just send an email formatted in the correct way),
    > messages are usualy more or less instant, although occasionally there
    > is a bit of delay as you would expect.

    Another problem: they send their activation code to YOUR sms cell phone. I
    do not have one, and virtually no need to get one.

    So a company that does not do this might be better. Unless there is a way
    around it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    All our words are but crumbs that fall down from the feast of the mind.
    Kahlil Gibran

    Note: All my comments are copyright 4/04/2005 11:35:43 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On 3 Apr 2005 08:16:21 -0700, wrote:

    > Clickatell (www.clickatell.com) are good. Pretty cheap (although to
    > telecom is a bit more expensive than vodafone), and they have a number
    > of different gateway methods, including email (read the docs for the
    > SMTP gateway and just send an email formatted in the correct way),
    > messages are usualy more or less instant, although occasionally there
    > is a bit of delay as you would expect.

    Thanks. They look ok - but have you or do you know someone who successfully
    sends to telecom's 027 network ? Just reading about how a lot of people
    have trouble actually using these services to send to telecom.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "For every problem, there is one solution which is simple, neat and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

    Note: All my comments are copyright 4/04/2005 11:30:56 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 4, 2005
  5. Brendan

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > On 3 Apr 2005 08:16:21 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> Clickatell (www.clickatell.com) are good. Pretty cheap (although to
    >> telecom is a bit more expensive than vodafone), and they have a number
    >> of different gateway methods, including email (read the docs for the
    >> SMTP gateway and just send an email formatted in the correct way),
    >> messages are usualy more or less instant, although occasionally there
    >> is a bit of delay as you would expect.

    > Thanks. They look ok - but have you or do you know someone who
    > successfully
    > sends to telecom's 027 network ? Just reading about how a lot of people
    > have trouble actually using these services to send to telecom.

    I have never had any sucess sending sms from web to cell through telecoms
    gateway.
    Only had 80% sucess rate on vodafone's web sms service and a 50% on sms.ac
    website which doesn't include telecom

    I wouldn't be supprized if telecom were actually blocking sms messages
    getting through off websites to their gateway.

    Krazy Bob, Apr 4, 2005
  6. Brendan

    A C Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    > On 3 Apr 2005 08:16:21 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > > Clickatell (www.clickatell.com) are good. Pretty cheap (although to
    > > telecom is a bit more expensive than vodafone), and they have a number
    > > of different gateway methods, including email (read the docs for the
    > > SMTP gateway and just send an email formatted in the correct way),
    > > messages are usualy more or less instant, although occasionally there
    > > is a bit of delay as you would expect.

    > Another problem: they send their activation code to YOUR sms cell phone. I
    > do not have one, and virtually no need to get one.
    >
    > So a company that does not do this might be better. Unless there is a way
    > around it.

    When I contacted them they said I needed a phone to activate the account
    (like you I dont have a mobile phone) and did not offer an alternative.

    On a slightly different topic, here's something else they told me:
    "If you feel uncomfortable to send us your credit card number, please feel
    free
    to delete the number except for the last four digits."

    Weird, can they still use the credit card without these last 4 digits???

    A C, Apr 4, 2005
  7. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:34:43 +1200, Krazy Bob wrote:

    > I have never had any sucess sending sms from web to cell through telecoms
    > gateway.
    > Only had 80% sucess rate on vodafone's web sms service and a 50% on sms.ac
    > website which doesn't include telecom
    >
    > I wouldn't be supprized if telecom were actually blocking sms messages
    > getting through off websites to their gateway.

    Shit... Guess I'd be best to wait until someone can say for sure it works.

    Thanks.

    --

    .... Brendan

    MACHINATION, n. The method employed by one's opponents in baffling one's open and honorable efforts to do the right thing. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 4/04/2005 1:00:34 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 4, 2005
  8. Brendan

    Frank Sams Guest

    No worries to Telecoms 027 network for me. Seems to work ok. Costs More than
    if I sent a message to voda mobile, but works well. if you find a way to
    sign up you get 10 free credits, and you can test it for your self.

    Frank Sams, Apr 4, 2005
  9. Brendan

    Frank Sams Guest

    Free ones, yes do not work, but clickatell seems to works fine.
    There is a interconnection agreement in place, so I highly doubt that
    telecom will block the messages.
    or you could use telecoms web2text service. That works well, to both
    networks.

    Frank Sams, Apr 4, 2005
  10. Brendan

    Mutlley Guest

    "Frank Sams" <> wrote:

    >Free ones, yes do not work, but clickatell seems to works fine.
    >There is a interconnection agreement in place, so I highly doubt that
    >telecom will block the messages.
    >or you could use telecoms web2text service. That works well, to both
    >networks.

    That works out at $10 / month plus message costs. Prepay SMS is the
    way to go if you can find one that works in NZ..

    Mutlley, Apr 4, 2005
  11. Brendan

    Worm Guest

    "Brendan" <> wrote in message

    > I have looked via google at many web sites offering cellphone SMS

    services,
    > and they are either too expensive, too vauge, or smell a bit scam-like.
    >
    > What I would like is a cheap, reliable email to SMS, SMS to email system
    > that will work with the Telecom network in NZ, and also possibly others.
    >
    > I'd only be sending maybe a few a day, so minimal really. Would be best if
    > I do not have to install software but can use it via email or a web site.
    > But I'd consider a special app if there was really some worthwhile
    > advantage.
    >
    > So please list me your experiences and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

    Not sure if it's what you're after, but I use www.gokomo.com. There's no
    email component...but its cheap and reliable.

    Worm

    Worm, Apr 4, 2005
  12. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:10:47 +1200, Worm wrote:

    > "Brendan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have looked via google at many web sites offering cellphone SMS

    > services,
    >> and they are either too expensive, too vauge, or smell a bit scam-like.
    >>
    >> What I would like is a cheap, reliable email to SMS, SMS to email system
    >> that will work with the Telecom network in NZ, and also possibly others.
    >>
    >> I'd only be sending maybe a few a day, so minimal really. Would be best if
    >> I do not have to install software but can use it via email or a web site.
    >> But I'd consider a special app if there was really some worthwhile
    >> advantage.
    >>
    >> So please list me your experiences and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

    > Not sure if it's what you're after, but I use www.gokomo.com. There's no
    > email component...but its cheap and reliable.
    >

    > Worm

    Thanks.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten
    four-year-olds."
    -- Laurie Anderson , on turning 40

    Note: All my comments are copyright 4/04/2005 10:51:51 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 4, 2005
  13. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:25:07 +1200, Mutlley wrote:

    > That works out at $10 / month plus message costs.

    For telecom's web2text ?

    >Prepay SMS is the way to go if you can find one that works in NZ..

    Bloody stupid really: it should be as cheap as email. Fucking price gouging
    bastards.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." -- G. K. Chesterton

    Note: All my comments are copyright 4/04/2005 10:28:50 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 4, 2005
  14. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:44:48 +1200, Frank Sams wrote:

    > Free ones, yes do not work, but clickatell seems to works fine.
    > There is a interconnection agreement in place, so I highly doubt that
    > telecom will block the messages.
    > or you could use telecoms web2text service. That works well, to both
    > networks.

    ta.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Humor is how you demonstrate that you don't care about pain."
    - Friday Jones

    Note: All my comments are copyright 4/04/2005 10:28:38 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 4, 2005
  15. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:41:32 +1200, Frank Sams wrote:

    > No worries to Telecoms 027 network for me. Seems to work ok. Costs More than
    > if I sent a message to voda mobile, but works well. if you find a way to
    > sign up you get 10 free credits, and you can test it for your self.

    Thanks, will think on it some more.

    --

    .... Brendan

    CLERGYMAN, n. A man who undertakes the management of our spiritual affairs as a method of better his temporal ones. -- Ambrose Bierce

    Note: All my comments are copyright 4/04/2005 1:57:03 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 4, 2005
  16. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:06:44 +1200, A C wrote:

    >> Another problem: they send their activation code to YOUR sms cell phone. I
    >> do not have one, and virtually no need to get one.

    > When I contacted them they said I needed a phone to activate the account
    > (like you I dont have a mobile phone) and did not offer an alternative.

    Ummm, sounds suss to me: need YOUR phone no. so they can spam it ? Charge
    your phone premium services ?

    All these SMS web sites seem pretty vauge on things like price or
    services... Poor layout too (have to wade through heaps of crap to get to
    the facts).

    > On a slightly different topic, here's something else they told me:
    > "If you feel uncomfortable to send us your credit card number, please feel
    > free
    > to delete the number except for the last four digits."
    >
    > Weird, can they still use the credit card without these last 4 digits???

    No, doubt it. There could be up to 1000 other cards with that same number.
    It'd prove nothing - might just be some misdirection for a scam ?

    --

    .... Brendan

    Remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 4/04/2005 1:19:48 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 4, 2005
  17. Brendan

    Daniel Guest

    "Worm" <worm@_orconNO_DA_SPAM.net.nz> wrote in message
    > "Brendan" <> wrote in message

    ..

    > Not sure if it's what you're after, but I use www.gokomo.com. There's no
    > email component...but its cheap and reliable.

    Note that with gokomo it costs 4 credits to send an SMS to a telecom
    phone... wow

    Daniel, Apr 4, 2005
  18. Brendan

    Mutlley Guest

    "Worm" <worm@_orconNO_DA_SPAM.net.nz> wrote:

    >"Brendan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have looked via google at many web sites offering cellphone SMS

    >services,
    >> and they are either too expensive, too vauge, or smell a bit scam-like.
    >>
    >> What I would like is a cheap, reliable email to SMS, SMS to email system
    >> that will work with the Telecom network in NZ, and also possibly others.
    >>
    >> I'd only be sending maybe a few a day, so minimal really. Would be best if
    >> I do not have to install software but can use it via email or a web site.
    >> But I'd consider a special app if there was really some worthwhile
    >> advantage.
    >>
    >> So please list me your experiences and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

    >Not sure if it's what you're after, but I use www.gokomo.com. There's no
    >email component...but its cheap and reliable.
    >

    >Worm

    From their home page.

    "For only about 5 cents you can send instant message to anyone,
    anytime, anywhere.Our system supports over 525 GSM providers across
    160 Countries."

    That kind of rules out Telecom NZ (Damps and CDMA) even though they
    list them in their coverage.

    Any one tried them?? They don't have any test area ..

    Mutlley, Apr 4, 2005
  19. Brendan

    Jason Rumney Guest

    Brendan wrote:

    > Ummm, sounds suss to me: need YOUR phone no. so they can spam it ?

    Charge
    > your phone premium services ?

    Yep, that's pretty much the business model sms.ac operates under. They
    also steal your hotmail address book and spam everyone on it if you're
    foolish enough to use their email integration feature, forging the
    headers to make it look like you're recommending sms.ac for keeping in
    touch. It took a few harshly worded emails, but I finally managed to
    get Vodafone to refund the $30 of reverse billed premium SMS spam that
    got sent to my girlfriend's phone in the 48 hours after she signed up.

    Jason Rumney, Apr 4, 2005
  20. Brendan

    Brendan Guest

    On 4 Apr 2005 15:05:31 -0700, Jason Rumney wrote:

    > Yep, that's pretty much the business model sms.ac operates under. They
    > also steal your hotmail address book and spam everyone on it if you're
    > foolish enough to use their email integration feature, forging the
    > headers to make it look like you're recommending sms.ac for keeping in
    > touch. It took a few harshly worded emails, but I finally managed to
    > get Vodafone to refund the $30 of reverse billed premium SMS spam that
    > got sent to my girlfriend's phone in the 48 hours after she signed up.

    Shit, the bloody bastards! I'll be keeping well away from them.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Corporations have been enthroned .... An era of corruption in high
    places will follow and the money power will endeavor to prolong its
    reign by working on the prejudices of the people... until wealth is
    aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."
    -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861-1865

    Note: All my comments are copyright 5/04/2005 12:05:40 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Apr 5, 2005