SMS Gateways

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Linker3000, Aug 2, 2007.

  1. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    Hi Knowledgeable ones,

    I am tasked with setting up an SMS gateway for appointment and
    vaccination reminders for a chain of veterinary clinics.

    Monthly/yearly volumes have not been quantified yet and I will contact
    the usual major telecoms players about this, but any input on options
    would be appreciated - we're with Vodafone for our business phones
    (already getting info from them), have an Asterisk server in house and
    also manage our own (Linux/postfix) mail servers so any info integration
    options that cover these would be appreciated.

    The data will be mined from various sources with the main apps being
    MS-SQL server and Access-based.

    Any heads up on likely costs and good companies to deal with would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks

    Linker3000, Aug 2, 2007

  2. On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:48:05 +0100, Linker3000
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Knowledgeable ones,
    >
    >I am tasked with setting up an SMS gateway for appointment and
    >vaccination reminders for a chain of veterinary clinics.

    moretext.com.
    Tell Matt I sent you!
    --
    Locate your Mobile phone: <http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html>
    Great gifts: <http://www.ThisBritain.com/ASOS_popup.html>

    David Quinton, Aug 2, 2007

  3. In article <46b1b65c$0$15225$>,
    Linker3000 <> wrote:
    >Hi Knowledgeable ones,
    >
    >I am tasked with setting up an SMS gateway for appointment and
    >vaccination reminders for a chain of veterinary clinics.
    >
    >Monthly/yearly volumes have not been quantified yet and I will contact
    >the usual major telecoms players about this, but any input on options
    >would be appreciated - we're with Vodafone for our business phones
    >(already getting info from them), have an Asterisk server in house and
    >also manage our own (Linux/postfix) mail servers so any info integration
    >options that cover these would be appreciated.
    >
    >The data will be mined from various sources with the main apps being
    >MS-SQL server and Access-based.
    >
    >Any heads up on likely costs and good companies to deal with would be
    >appreciated.

    Depending on volume, a simple GSM data terminal and SIM card on the same
    contract might suit your needs. Linux has good SMS sending capabilities
    via the command line (getsms/putsms) I use this in a variety of ways
    for my own uses (primarily to get notification of my remote servers health
    or not via Nagios) It's a serial connection between the PC and terminal,
    and you can send 2-3 a minute, if required.

    A cheap terminal these days is:

    http://www.discountphonesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Analogue_GSM_Gateway.html

    (first one on the page)

    I'm using one of these for both the phone and TXT facilities it offers -
    it does the same job as the more expensive Siemens M35 brick I bought
    a few years back and has a standard phone port (And as you have asterisk,
    if you have a spare FXO port, you can connect it to the device then make
    calls on the same contract to/from the mobile users and the main office -
    might work out cheaper than going out via the PSTN or your VoIP carrier -
    which is exactly what I'm using it for, so I get a double bonus)

    So your on-going costs will be the cost of sending a TXT via the contract
    on the SIM card you have. Orange used to have a good contract where for £20
    a month you could send up to 2000 TXTs (IIRC).

    FWIW: I was looking for bulkish services for a proejct some 2-3 years ago
    that never got off the ground) and the main operators weren't interested
    in dealing direct with me as I was only looking at 3-5000 TXTs a month. I
    got the impression of "Go away sonny and come back when it's 3-5 million
    a month..."

    So a "carrier" I looked at a few years back was:

    http://www.smscarrier.com/

    You use a simple API to send TXTs to them via the Interweb. Charging
    was cheap IIRC - in the order of 3p per message I think. (it's probably
    changed though)

    Good luck!

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 2, 2007
  4. Linker3000

    Linker3000 Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > In article <46b1b65c$0$15225$>,
    > Linker3000 <> wrote:
    >> Hi Knowledgeable ones,
    >>
    >> I am tasked with setting up an SMS gateway for appointment and
    >> vaccination reminders for a chain of veterinary clinics.
    >>
    >> Monthly/yearly volumes have not been quantified yet and I will contact
    >> the usual major telecoms players about this, but any input on options
    >> would be appreciated - we're with Vodafone for our business phones
    >> (already getting info from them), have an Asterisk server in house and
    >> also manage our own (Linux/postfix) mail servers so any info integration
    >> options that cover these would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> The data will be mined from various sources with the main apps being
    >> MS-SQL server and Access-based.
    >>
    >> Any heads up on likely costs and good companies to deal with would be
    >> appreciated.

    > Depending on volume, a simple GSM data terminal and SIM card on the same
    > contract might suit your needs. Linux has good SMS sending capabilities
    > via the command line (getsms/putsms) I use this in a variety of ways
    > for my own uses (primarily to get notification of my remote servers health
    > or not via Nagios) It's a serial connection between the PC and terminal,
    > and you can send 2-3 a minute, if required.
    >
    > A cheap terminal these days is:
    >
    > http://www.discountphonesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Analogue_GSM_Gateway.html
    >
    > (first one on the page)
    >
    > I'm using one of these for both the phone and TXT facilities it offers -
    > it does the same job as the more expensive Siemens M35 brick I bought
    > a few years back and has a standard phone port (And as you have asterisk,
    > if you have a spare FXO port, you can connect it to the device then make
    > calls on the same contract to/from the mobile users and the main office -
    > might work out cheaper than going out via the PSTN or your VoIP carrier -
    > which is exactly what I'm using it for, so I get a double bonus)
    >
    > So your on-going costs will be the cost of sending a TXT via the contract
    > on the SIM card you have. Orange used to have a good contract where for £20
    > a month you could send up to 2000 TXTs (IIRC).
    >
    > FWIW: I was looking for bulkish services for a proejct some 2-3 years ago
    > that never got off the ground) and the main operators weren't interested
    > in dealing direct with me as I was only looking at 3-5000 TXTs a month. I
    > got the impression of "Go away sonny and come back when it's 3-5 million
    > a month..."
    >

    > So a "carrier" I looked at a few years back was:
    >
    > http://www.smscarrier.com/
    >
    > You use a simple API to send TXTs to them via the Interweb. Charging
    > was cheap IIRC - in the order of 3p per message I think. (it's probably
    > changed though)
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Gordon

    Thanks - useful insight. One of my options was goign to be a phone with
    a text bundle.

    Linker3000, Aug 2, 2007
  5. Linker3000

    Guest

    On 2 Aug, 14:04, Linker3000 <>
    wrote:
    > Gordon Henderson wrote:
    > > In article <46b1b65c$0$15225$>,
    > > Linker3000 <> wrote:
    > >> Hi Knowledgeable ones,

    > >> I am tasked with setting up an SMS gateway for appointment and
    > >> vaccination reminders for a chain of veterinary clinics.

    > >> Monthly/yearly volumes have not been quantified yet and I will contact
    > >> the usual major telecoms players about this, but any input on options
    > >> would be appreciated - we're with Vodafone for our business phones
    > >> (already getting info from them), have an Asterisk server in house and
    > >> also manage our own (Linux/postfix) mail servers so any info integration
    > >> options that cover these would be appreciated.

    > >> The data will be mined from various sources with the main apps being
    > >> MS-SQL server and Access-based.

    > >> Any heads up on likely costs and good companies to deal with would be
    > >> appreciated.

    > > Depending on volume, a simple GSM data terminal and SIM card on the same
    > > contract might suit your needs. Linux has good SMS sending capabilities
    > > via the command line (getsms/putsms) I use this in a variety of ways
    > > for my own uses (primarily to get notification of my remote servers health
    > > or not via Nagios) It's a serial connection between the PC and terminal,
    > > and you can send 2-3 a minute, if required.

    > > A cheap terminal these days is:

    > >http://www.discountphonesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Analogue_GSM_Gateway.html

    > > (first one on the page)

    > > I'm using one of these for both the phone and TXT facilities it offers -
    > > it does the same job as the more expensive Siemens M35 brick I bought
    > > a few years back and has a standard phone port (And as you have asterisk,
    > > if you have a spare FXO port, you can connect it to the device then make
    > > calls on the same contract to/from the mobile users and the main office -
    > > might work out cheaper than going out via the PSTN or your VoIP carrier -
    > > which is exactly what I'm using it for, so I get a double bonus)

    > > So your on-going costs will be the cost of sending a TXT via the contract
    > > on the SIM card you have. Orange used to have a good contract where for £20
    > > a month you could send up to 2000 TXTs (IIRC).

    > > FWIW: I was looking for bulkish services for a proejct some 2-3 years ago
    > > that never got off the ground) and the main operators weren't interested
    > > in dealing direct with me as I was only looking at 3-5000 TXTs a month. I
    > > got the impression of "Go away sonny and come back when it's 3-5 million
    > > a month..."

    > > So a "carrier" I looked at a few years back was:

    > > http://www.smscarrier.com/

    > > You use a simple API to send TXTs to them via the Interweb. Charging
    > > was cheap IIRC - in the order of 3p per message I think. (it's probably
    > > changed though)

    > > Good luck!

    > > Gordon

    > Thanks - useful insight. One of my options was goign to be a phone with
    > a text bundle.- Hide quoted text -

    Hi

    I happen to be selling CellRoutes (as mentioned above) on Ebay at
    present, should you be interested.

    My main interest, however, is not in selling the actual item itself,
    but supplying the airtime. If, for instance, I supplied you with the
    Orange Solo 400 tariff on an 18 month contract (400 mins plus
    'unlimited texts subject to fair use' - fair use is defined as 2000
    texts) I would supply the CellRoute free of charge (in the same way as
    you would expect to get most phones on a contract free of charge).

    Should you wish to discuss further, my email is my full name with no
    dot at my business name dot com.

    Regards

    Simon Clark
    Business Telecoms

    , Aug 2, 2007
  6. Linker3000

    Jon Farmer Guest

    David Quinton wrote:

    > moretext.com.
    > Tell Matt I sent you!

    Seconded, Moretext are excellant.

    Regards

    Jon

    Jon Farmer, Aug 4, 2007
  7. Linker3000

    joshua Guest

    On Aug 2, 8:24 pm, Gordon Henderson <> wrote:
    > In article <46b1b65c$0$15225$>,
    >
    > Depending on volume, a simple GSM data terminal and SIM card on the same
    > contract might suit your needs. Linux has good SMS sending capabilities
    > via the command line (getsms/putsms) I use this in a variety of ways
    > for my own uses (primarily to get notification of my remote servers health
    > or not via Nagios) It's a serial connection between the PC and terminal,
    > and you can send 2-3 a minute, if required.

    For a Windows GSM terminal solution, you can try VisualGSM SMS Gateway
    - http://www.visualtron.com/products_enterprise.htm. For Linux, the
    industry standard is Kannel.org.

    joshua, Aug 10, 2007