    faces that move against each other when I pan the head move smoothly without
    grabbing. Has anyone found a good lubricant that improves the operation of
    these cheap tripod heads? Perhaps graphite?
    tkranz, Aug 11, 2003

  2. tkranz

    Mike Guest

    "tkranz" <> wrote in message
    news:fHDZa.95866$...
    > I have a good, heavy Bogen tripod for serious work. But I recently bought
    > one of the cheap consumer tripods from Walmart as a light weight
    > alternative. In most respects it is a well engineered unit if used with
    > care.
    >
    > Only serious flaw is that I have been unable to make the plastic to

    plastic
    > faces that move against each other when I pan the head move smoothly

    without
    > grabbing. Has anyone found a good lubricant that improves the operation

    of
    > these cheap tripod heads? Perhaps graphite?

    I'd try Rain-X, (made to use on Automobile Windows). It is clean and
    invisable. I don't know how it would act on a lens, but I am very careful to
    keep it away from lens, I don't think it would be good for them. I
    discovered the lubricating properties of Rain-X when I was working on Data
    processing equipment. I use it in places where liquid and powered lubs
    cannot be used. I have tried waxs before but they often get sticky.
    Mike, Aug 11, 2003

  3. tkranz

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Powdered Teflon will do the trick. You can find it where model
    railroading supplies are sold. Be warned though, that if you apply it
    to plastic mating surfaces that clamp, they'll never clamp truly tightly
    again as long as the Teflon is there.

    Also great for sticking drawers, zippers, and amazing your friends :)

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Aug 11, 2003
  4. Petroleum jelly works, but you will never be able to get that light
    weight to work even close to a real tripod.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 11, 2003