Smiley Central

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Batts, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. Batts

    Batts Guest

    Seems to be a good thing with loads of smilies/pictures and animations to
    use with Yahoo Messenger, but Ad Aware picks up lots of 'data miners' now
    it's installed. I emailed the privacy thing for Smiley Central and got the
    following reply (with my original query below):

    My question is.... has anyone else out there downloaded and used smiley
    central and have you had any problems with it? It is true that to get it
    you do not supply any personal information, not even your email address -
    but only nothing's for free as they say. I haven't noticed any problems
    since it's been on but....

    Any thoughts/opinions?????? - I am on XP Pro with ZoneAlarm Pro

    Mark

    "Thank you for writing to Fun Web Products.

    The toolbar and Smiley Central do not collect any personal information
    and are completely "spyware"-free and "adware"-free. In fact, we are
    proud to have recently been deemed "spyware safe" by the Aluria Spyware
    Safe program.

    The toolbar was specifically designed to provide a great user experience
    free of spyware, adware, direct marketing, data collection or other
    similar activities.

    In order to achieve that goal:
    The toolbar software DOES NOT collect personal information of any kind,
    period. No email address, registration or other information is required
    to use the product. No zip code, no email, no member name, no password.
    Unlike many other products, we do not even attempt to collect data upon
    startup as a requirement of use.

    The toolbar software DOES NOT monitor the websites visited by the end
    user, collect or in any manner report any information about what sites
    an end users visits (or any clickstream activity), nor does it monitor
    or scrape information when you are on other sites.

    The toolbar software DOES NOT serve or facilitate so-called "contextual
    advertising" or pop-up ads. Many applications are identified as spyware
    because they monitor end-user Internet usage and serve contextual
    pop-ups. The My Web Search toolbar does not engage in any such
    practices.

    In short, the toolbar provides a superior search experience on an
    ANONYMOUS basis and without any additional monitoring, contextual ads or
    other nuisances.

    However, some types of anti-virus software may mistake embedded smileys
    (image files) for a virus when you attempt to send a message. Please
    refer to your anti-virus software documentation to find out how to
    disable the virus warning when sending smiley images.

    If you are receiving a warning from a virus detection utility while
    installing or using Smiley Central, please be sure you're running the
    most current virus "definition" file. If this does not resolve the
    problem, get back to us with:

    - The name and version of the utility
    - The name of the company that makes your virus software (so we can
    contact them to correct their detection utility)

    The virus logs created by your virus scanner so we can be as detailed as
    possible when we contact your virus software company.

    We hope this answers your questions about the toolbar and Smiley
    Central. If we can be of additional assistance or you have further
    questions, please let us know.

    Thanks again for writing.

    Regards,
    M.M.
    Fun Web Products Support
    -----------------------------------

    This was a response to the message we received from
    ()

    Original Message Follows:
    -------------------------

    Having run LavaSoft's AdAware program, following installation of smiley
    central's smileys, I now have what AdAware rate as critical processes
    and objects known as Data Miners. It lists 'processes', 'files',
    'Regkeys, and 'RegValues' and lists them as all with the comment
    SmileyCentralPFSetup2.0.2.1 and SmileyCentralPFSetup2.0.0.0 - There are
    many others that do not bear no comment, but are all from the same
    vendor 'iWon'.
    Please could you explain to me what Data Miners are and why Ad Aware
    seems to think these are 'Critical items' Why do I have data miners on
    my computer since installing your software? What are they there for?
    I don't wish to uninstall your software and have told a few people about
    it, but I do need to know what's going on here. I hope you can provide
    a suitable answer to put my mind at ease. "

    Batts, Dec 20, 2004

  2. Batts

    WormWood Guest

    "Batts" <> wrote in message
    > Seems to be a good thing with loads of smilies/pictures and animations
    > to use with Yahoo Messenger, but Ad Aware picks up lots of 'data
    > miners' now it's installed. I emailed the privacy thing for Smiley
    > Central and got the following reply (with my original query below):
    >
    > My question is.... has anyone else out there downloaded and used
    > smiley central and have you had any problems with it? It is true that
    > to get it you do not supply any personal information, not even your
    > email address - but only nothing's for free as they say. I haven't
    > noticed any problems since it's been on but....
    >
    > Any thoughts/opinions?????? - I am on XP Pro with ZoneAlarm Pro

    Grow up. Stop messing with tacky crap. Uninstall The toolbar and Smiley
    Central.

    WormWood, Dec 20, 2004

  3. Batts

    Guest

    Ok this is a very simple problem to fix all you need to do is turn off
    all of your spyware/adaware programs that are running and try running
    smile central again

    , Dec 20, 2004
  4. Batts

    EricP Guest

    EricP, Dec 21, 2004
  5. wrote:

    > Ok this is a very simple problem to fix all you need to do is turn off
    > all of your spyware/adaware programs that are running and try running
    > smile central again

    What problem? I don't see a problem. There apparently isn't a problem.

    http://home.online.no/~shughes/a57998/quote.html#001a

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Batts

    °Mike° Guest

    It's not. Next you'll be posting a question on how to remove spyware.

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:06:33 GMT, in
    <J1Ixd.1877$>
    Batts scrawled:

    >Seems to be a good thing

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 21, 2004
  7. wrote:
    > Ok this is a very simple problem to fix all you need to do is turn off
    > all of your spyware/adaware programs that are running and try running
    > smile central again

    You're a "professional IT" guy and you advise someone to turn off their
    spyware/adware programs and run the spyware/adware? Damn good thing for
    you I'm not your employer.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Dec 21, 2004
  8. Batts

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Batts" <> wrote in message

    >snipped<

    | Smiley Central

    >snipped<

    | Any thoughts/opinions?????? - I am on XP Pro with ZoneAlarm Pro

    You WANT an opinion? Here's an opinion: GET RID OF IT. I don't know *anyone*
    who wants those damn smileys all over their incoming email. Don't waste
    other people's time trying to be cute, because it *isn't* - it's a waste of
    hard drive space, a waste of Internet bandwidth, and a waste of download
    time, not to mention putting your computer (and possibly the receiver's) at
    risk. I bet they "phone home" the email addresses of the people you send
    that crap to so they can sell those emal addresses to spammers. (Remember: I
    said it is an opinion!)

    Toolman Tim, Dec 21, 2004
  9. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > You WANT an opinion? Here's an opinion: GET RID OF IT. I don't know *anyone*
    > who wants those damn smileys all over their incoming email. Don't waste
    > other people's time trying to be cute, because it *isn't* - it's a waste of
    > hard drive space, a waste of Internet bandwidth, and a waste of download
    > time, not to mention putting your computer (and possibly the receiver's) at
    > risk. I bet they "phone home" the email addresses of the people you send
    > that crap to so they can sell those emal addresses to spammers. (Remember: I
    > said it is an opinion!)

    Tim, it's not good for you to keep your feelings all locked up inside. ;)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 21, 2004
  10. Batts

    Batts Guest

    Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions, especially useful were your
    web links EricP. I have uninstalled, then used AdAware to get rid of any
    remaining nasties. None seem to have reappeared on startup.

    Thanks to all again

    Mark

    Batts, Dec 21, 2004
  11. Batts

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > You WANT an opinion? Here's an opinion: GET RID OF IT. I don't know
    *anyone*
    | > who wants those damn smileys all over their incoming email. Don't waste
    | > other people's time trying to be cute, because it *isn't* - it's a waste
    of
    | > hard drive space, a waste of Internet bandwidth, and a waste of download
    | > time, not to mention putting your computer (and possibly the receiver's)
    at
    | > risk. I bet they "phone home" the email addresses of the people you send
    | > that crap to so they can sell those emal addresses to spammers.
    (Remember: I
    | > said it is an opinion!)
    |
    | Tim, it's not good for you to keep your feelings all locked up inside. ;)

    yeah - I'm working on that ;o)

    I fact, one of the women at work got 'snitty' with me yesterday. So today
    when I was passing out home-made Christmas presents to all the people in my
    office, her desk was somehow overlooked...hmmm...too bad I didn't have any
    coal <g>

    Toolman Tim, Dec 22, 2004
  12. Batts

    DC Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    >| Tim, it's not good for you to keep your feelings all locked up inside. ;)
    >|
    > yeah - I'm working on that ;o)

    > I fact, one of the women at work got 'snitty' with me yesterday. So today
    > when I was passing out home-made Christmas presents to all the people in my
    > office, her desk was somehow overlooked...hmmm...too bad I didn't have any
    > coal <g>

    You could offer to install Incredimail on her PC. That'd be nice. *<}:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    It's not the software that's free; it's you.

    DC, Dec 22, 2004
  13. Batts

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | >| Tim, it's not good for you to keep your feelings all locked up inside.
    ;)
    | >|
    | > yeah - I'm working on that ;o)
    |
    | > I fact, one of the women at work got 'snitty' with me yesterday. So
    today
    | > when I was passing out home-made Christmas presents to all the people in
    my
    | > office, her desk was somehow overlooked...hmmm...too bad I didn't have
    any
    | > coal <g>
    |
    | You could offer to install Incredimail on her PC. That'd be nice. *<}:O)

    Ooo - ooo - and Smiley Central too! <g>

    Toolman Tim, Dec 22, 2004
  14. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > I fact, one of the women at work got 'snitty' with me yesterday. So
    > today when I was passing out home-made Christmas presents to all the
    > people in my office, her desk was somehow overlooked...hmmm...too bad
    > I didn't have any coal <g>

    I read a little happynews article today about some kid that set up a
    lumps-of-coal stand (remember the Norman Rockwellian kids' lemonade
    stand in front of he parents' house?) and was selling them for fifty
    cents apiece for holiday stockings. It said he'd already made about
    $100 toward the new bike he was saving up for. The article mentioned,
    IIRC, someone who bought quite a few for the people in his office. (If
    I got the link in *here*, sorry for the redundancy.)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 22, 2004
  15. Batts

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > I fact, one of the women at work got 'snitty' with me yesterday. So
    | > today when I was passing out home-made Christmas presents to all the
    | > people in my office, her desk was somehow overlooked...hmmm...too bad
    | > I didn't have any coal <g>
    |
    | I read a little happynews article today about some kid that set up a
    | lumps-of-coal stand (remember the Norman Rockwellian kids' lemonade
    | stand in front of he parents' house?) and was selling them for fifty
    | cents apiece for holiday stockings. It said he'd already made about
    | $100 toward the new bike he was saving up for. The article mentioned,
    | IIRC, someone who bought quite a few for the people in his office. (If
    | I got the link in *here*, sorry for the redundancy.)

    Brilliant! Now *there's* a kid who could go far in life! <g>

    Toolman Tim, Dec 22, 2004
  16. Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >| Toolman Tim wrote:
    >|
    >| > I fact, one of the women at work got 'snitty' with me yesterday. So
    >| > today when I was passing out home-made Christmas presents to all the
    >| > people in my office, her desk was somehow overlooked...hmmm...too bad
    >| > I didn't have any coal <g>
    >|
    >| I read a little happynews article today about some kid that set up a
    >| lumps-of-coal stand (remember the Norman Rockwellian kids' lemonade
    >| stand in front of he parents' house?) and was selling them for fifty
    >| cents apiece for holiday stockings. It said he'd already made about
    >| $100 toward the new bike he was saving up for. The article mentioned,
    >| IIRC, someone who bought quite a few for the people in his office. (If
    >| I got the link in *here*, sorry for the redundancy.)
    >|
    > Brilliant! Now *there's* a kid who could go far in life! <g>

    No shit -- he got the coal for free, too. His father was described as
    being "an artist" (yes, always a suspect label <g>) who did something or
    other with coal, which to me implied that Baby Bill Gates didn't have to
    buy it from a wholesaler. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 22, 2004
  17. Batts

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    | >| Toolman Tim wrote:
    | >|
> [...]
    | >|
    | >| I read a little happynews article today about some kid that set up a
    | >| lumps-of-coal stand (remember the Norman Rockwellian kids' lemonade
    | >| stand in front of he parents' house?) and was selling them for fifty
    | >| cents apiece for holiday stockings. It said he'd already made about
    | >| $100 toward the new bike he was saving up for. The article mentioned,
    | >| IIRC, someone who bought quite a few for the people in his office. (If
    | >| I got the link in *here*, sorry for the redundancy.)
    | >|
    | > Brilliant! Now *there's* a kid who could go far in life! <g>
    |
    | No shit -- he got the coal for free, too. His father was described as
    | being "an artist" (yes, always a suspect label <g>) who did something or
    | other with coal, which to me implied that Baby Bill Gates didn't have to
    | buy it from a wholesaler. :)

    Even better!

    Toolman Tim, Dec 22, 2004