    hotter than I’d ever known it to be before. Opened it up, and something
    rather interesting had happened to the fan on the graphics card: it had
    wedged itself at an angle so it was no longer capable of spinning.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 3, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    > ... coming from my older (2004-vintage) Shuttle. Felt the case, and it was
    > hotter than I’d ever known it to be before. Opened it up, and something
    > rather interesting had happened to the fan on the graphics card: it had
    > wedged itself at an angle so it was no longer capable of spinning.

    Having had fans fail on two nVidia graphics cards, in my latest system I opted
    for a fan-less card. Nice and quiet too.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 3, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Matty F Guest

    On Oct 4, 10:03 am, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > On 3/10/2010 11:27 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    > > ... coming from my older (2004-vintage) Shuttle. Felt the case, and it was
    > > hotter than I’d ever known it to be before. Opened it up, and something
    > > rather interesting had happened to the fan on the graphics card: it had
    > > wedged itself at an angle so it was no longer capable of spinning.

    > Having had fans fail on two nVidia graphics cards, in my latest system I opted
    > for a fan-less card. Nice and quiet too.

    You can never have too many fans:
    http://i51.tinypic.com/mr94ee.jpg

    Matty F, Oct 4, 2010
  4. In message <i89lpm$804$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > ... the fan ... had wedged itself at an angle so it was no longer capable
    > of spinning.

    And that was a replacement graphics card; I had taken out the previous one
    because it had developed a noisy fan.

    Well, the old card is back in again. It seemed to be working OK yesterday,
    but today the fan has stopped spinning. I can spin it up by hand, but then
    it gets noisy, and stops after a while.

    I think I’ll leave the cover off for now, just in case I’m heading for
    another burning-plastic incident...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 4, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    > In message<i89lpm$804$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> ... the fan ... had wedged itself at an angle so it was no longer capable
    >> of spinning.

    > And that was a replacement graphics card; I had taken out the previous one
    > because it had developed a noisy fan.
    >
    > Well, the old card is back in again. It seemed to be working OK yesterday,
    > but today the fan has stopped spinning. I can spin it up by hand, but then
    > it gets noisy, and stops after a while.
    >
    > I think I’ll leave the cover off for now, just in case I’m heading for
    > another burning-plastic incident...

    I bought little fans from Dick Smith and tied them on top of the failed fans on
    my nVidia cards. They are still working a few years later. A cheap fix.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 4, 2010
  6. In message <i8b916$bff$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I bought little fans from Dick Smith and tied them on top of the failed
    > fans on my nVidia cards. They are still working a few years later. A
    > cheap fix.

    How are the fans powered?

    What about a strategic spray of CRC?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 4, 2010
  7. In message <i8bce3$84q$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > What about a strategic spray of CRC?

    I tried it, figuring what have I got to lose.

    And verily, it spins! And with minimal noise, too!

    I’ll keep monitoring it the rest of today, maybe even overnight. If it’s
    still working at the end of that, I’ll declare success. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 4, 2010
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    > In message<i8b916$bff$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I bought little fans from Dick Smith and tied them on top of the failed
    >> fans on my nVidia cards. They are still working a few years later. A
    >> cheap fix.

    > How are the fans powered?

    I just transferred the power cable from the original fan to the bolt-on one.

    Gib Bogle, Oct 4, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    > In message<i8bce3$84q$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> What about a strategic spray of CRC?

    > I tried it, figuring what have I got to lose.
    >
    > And verily, it spins! And with minimal noise, too!
    >
    > I’ll keep monitoring it the rest of today, maybe even overnight. If it’s
    > still working at the end of that, I’ll declare success. :)

    CRC seems to make them bind after a short time, as does wd40.

    Had the best luck with silicone spray, but even that wears off pretty
    quickly.

    Richard, Oct 4, 2010
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > On 4/10/2010 4:12 p.m., Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message<i8bce3$84q$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> What about a strategic spray of CRC?

    >> I tried it, figuring what have I got to lose.
    >>
    >> And verily, it spins! And with minimal noise, too!
    >>
    >> I'll keep monitoring it the rest of today, maybe even overnight. If
    >> it's still working at the end of that, I'll declare success. :)

    > CRC seems to make them bind after a short time, as does wd40.
    >
    > Had the best luck with silicone spray, but even that wears off pretty
    > quickly.

    Agreed. CRC is for freeing up 'frozen' parts only, not a lubricant per se.

    I use a drop or two of Castrol VMX manual transmission oil, usually *before*
    the fan gets to the siezed-up stage. Often I use it pre-emptively, before
    fans show signs of trouble. However I've used it with great success on
    siezed fans also, you just usually have to 'work it in there' by manually
    turning the fan for a while.

    I use it on the fan bearings of any laptops that I happen to have apart,
    simply as a maintenance measure, as well as all readilly accessable fans in
    desktops that I 're-build' before they go out the door. I find that it
    prolongs the life of those little fans considerable, almost to the extent
    that a small squeeze-bottle of the stuff is a must-have for anyone who works
    with computer / laptop repair and maintenance.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Oct 4, 2010
  11. In message <i8cn8q$trq$>, Richard wrote:

    > CRC seems to make them bind after a short time, as does wd40.

    When is this supposed to happen? It’s still spinning.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2010
  12. In message <i8cn8q$trq$>, Richard wrote:

    > CRC seems to make them bind after a short time, as does wd40.

    It started making the noise again last night. But after a few more
    sprays of CRC, it went back to spinning smoothly again. So the first
    treatment lasted for 29 days.

    I don’t know what you meant by “bindâ€, but it doesn’t seem to be
    happening.

    If I have to keep treating it once a month like this, I can put up with
    that for now.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 2, 2010
  13. In article <i8dl1u$c6f$-september.org>, says...

    > Agreed. CRC is for freeing up 'frozen' parts only, not a lubricant per se.

    Agreed, crc and wd40 evaporate pretty quickly. I mostly use rocol mx22 silicone grease on fan
    bearings in computers, but I've also used sewing machine oil on noisy fans with good success.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 3, 2010
  14. In message <>, Peter Huebner
    wrote:

    > I mostly use rocol mx22 silicone grease on fan bearings in computers ...

    I have some CRC 808 silicone. I was a little wary of trying that, but if it
    worked for you...

    > ... but I've also used sewing machine oil on noisy fans with good success.

    Even simpler. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 3, 2010