    Thanks

    Jeff
    , Jul 26, 2008

  2. Hi
    You do not need any CD. Connect a computer via network cable to one of the
    LAN ports (Not the Internet side).
    Use your browser to log to the Router's menu (using its default IP and
    password as describe in the manual) and configure the Router to work as an
    Access Point.
    The principle is described here.
    Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 26, 2008

  3. Guest Guest

    Thank you Jack, I discovered my cabling error. However I am now in deep
    trouble and I really need your help. (You do not live in northern Virginia
    by chance, do you?)

    As a "trial run" to avoid damaging anything, I used my laptop "A" which was
    connected wirelessly as usual to my home wireless network.

    I connected the SMC router (that I want to use later as an access point)
    using a cable from one of its LAN ports to my laptop's ethernet port and got
    to the login screen, logged in etc. I entered what I believed should be the
    correct settings in that SMC router that I want to later use as a wired
    access point. One time in the setup screens I accidentally used the same
    SSID which may be what caused the problem though I later changed it to
    something else. This was all in the SMC setup screen.

    I then disconnected from this SMC router to do some other "real" work and
    discovered to my horror the following:

    This laptop "A" now can no longer connects to the internet via the LAN! The
    network SSID shows up as usual when I view available networks and connects
    as usual but no internet and whenever I try to access the internet (browser
    etc) a popup appears trying to connect via an ancient dialup conection I
    have not used for years. Also, the wireless connection is dropped constantly
    and becomes disconnected even though I am not far from the router.

    My other laptop (not used as part of this experiment) still connects fine to
    the internet via the wlan. So I messed something up on this laptop and do
    no know how to fix it.

    Finding an old ethernet cable I can connect this troubled Laptop "A" by
    cable directly to the router and then I can access the internet with it -
    which is how I am sending this message.

    I am on XP SP3 and therefore did a restore to see if that might correct
    things, but nothing changed.

    A windows "repair" of the wireless connection did not help matters. Neither
    did a reboot.

    So I need help desperately!!

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 26, 2008
  4. Guest Guest

    May have just got a hint of the trouble. I got as windows error message
    that said "There is an IP conflict with another system on the network".

    Maybe a entered something wrong in the SMC router that is now conflicting.
    Thaqt SMC router is not connected or powered. How do I resolve this
    problem? Where in Windows do I change things?

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 26, 2008
  5. Guest Guest

    Additional info to help in resolving the problem (see below).

    I did an ipconfig /all on the problem laptop :

    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network
    Conne
    ion
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D4-22-C2-CE
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:57:50
    PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:57:50
    PM

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    Netw
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-AB-32-8E
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

    Checking my ZA firewall settings I see that this laptop "used to have" an ip
    of
    192.168.1.102 (not 100, or 101)
    (The ip for the other working laptop is
    192.168.1.101)

    So that is the conflict.

    How do I correct things on this laptop?

    Thanks.

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 26, 2008
  6. Guest Guest

    This is really wierd:

    After rebooting the laptop I decided to check something again and repeated
    the ipconfig /all and this time I get different results! Now the ethernet
    adapter's ip is 0.0.0.0 !

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ToshJSM
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
    Netwo
    k Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-02-AB-32-8E
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network
    Connec
    ion
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D4-22-C2-CE
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:32:59
    PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:32:59
    PM

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 26, 2008
  7. Guest Guest

    Ok (big sigh of relief) I got internet access back through the wlan.

    But I did it because I went to network connections\properties\ and thanged
    the TCPIP properties setting to
    "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    and
    "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

    *But, is it not better to set it to "use the following IP address" which is
    what it was before I changed it?

    Thanks for any advice.

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 26, 2008
  8. Lem Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > You do not need any CD. Connect a computer via network cable to one of
    > the LAN ports (Not the Internet side).
    > Use your browser to log to the Router's menu (using its default IP and
    > password as describe in the manual) and configure the Router to work as
    > an Access Point.
    > The principle is described here.
    > Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an old smcwbr14-G router that I want to install on an XP PC and
    >> then
    >> use it as an additional wired access point but I can no longer find its
    >> installation CD. I went to their website to see if I could download
    >> it but
    >> all I could find to download is the manual.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to install a router without its setup CD?
    >>
    >> I reset it pressing on the reset button.
    >> When I connect it (Ethernet cable) with my PC and go to
    >> http://192.168.2.1/
    >> (from the manual I downloaded) all I get is that the browser cannot
    >> connect.
    >>
    >> Anything else I can do?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Jeff

    It's not clear from your posts how you have things set up, but here's
    some info that may help you figure out what's going on.

    On any single local area network (LAN), no matter whether some of the
    computers are connected via wire and others via wireless, all must be in
    the same subnet in order to communicate properly. The subnet is
    configured with a combination of the IP address and the subnet mask.
    Moreover, each computer must have a unique IP address.

    In most home LANs, including yours, the subnet mask is set to
    255.255.255.0. What this means is that the first 3 octets of all IP
    addresses on the LAN *must* be the same, while the last one can be
    anything from 001 through 255 (although 255 generally is reserved for
    "broadcast" messaging).

    Thus, if the IP address of your router (the one that you use to access
    the router's configuration utility) is 192.168.1.1, all of the other
    computers on the LAN should have IP addresses between 192.168.1.2 and
    192.168.1.254. The "default gateway" in this example would be
    192.168.1.1 because the router *is* the gateway between the LAN and the
    Internet.

    In general, home routers include a DHCP server that automatically
    provides IP addresses to all of the computers connected to the router
    (it doesn't matter if they are connected via wire or wireless). A
    router's DHCP server should be configured to allocate IP addresses in
    the same subnet as the router.

    You should have only one DHCP server on any given subnet. If you forgot
    to disable the DHCP server of the second router, that may be the cause
    of your problem. If the second DHCP server is allocating IP addresses
    in a different subnet, some computers will not be able to communicate
    with others, but should be able to get to the Internet. On the other
    hand, if you have two DHCP servers allocating IP addresses in the same
    range, that easily could result in two different computers obtaining the
    same IP address. That, as you have discovered, will not work.

    As far as your wireless connection is concerned, you should get to the
    list of wireless networks (e.g., View Available Wireless Networks >
    Change Order of Preferred Networks) and delete all of the entries. Then
    then login to your wireless network. This should take care of any
    lingering incorrect wireless configurations.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jul 26, 2008
  9. Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > Ok (big sigh of relief) I got internet access back through the wlan.
    >
    > But I did it because I went to network connections\properties\ and thanged
    > the TCPIP properties setting to
    > "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    > and
    > "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
    >
    > *But, is it not better to set it to "use the following IP address" which is
    > what it was before I changed it?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> You do not need any CD. Connect a computer via network cable to one
    >> of the LAN ports (Not the Internet side).
    >> Use your browser to log to the Router's menu (using its default IP and
    >> password as describe in the manual) and configure the Router to work
    >> as an Access Point.
    >> The principle is described here.
    >> Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>
    >> "" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have an old smcwbr14-G router that I want to install on an XP PC
    >>> and then use it as an additional wired access point but I can no
    >>> longer find its installation CD. I went to their website to see if
    >>> I could download it but
    >>> all I could find to download is the manual.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to install a router without its setup CD?
    >>>
    >>> I reset it pressing on the reset button.
    >>> When I connect it (Ethernet cable) with my PC and go to
    >>> http://192.168.2.1/
    >>> (from the manual I downloaded) all I get is that the browser cannot
    >>> connect.
    >>>
    >>> Anything else I can do?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Jeff

    You can use either "Obtain an IP address automatically" or set it
    yourself manually (this often is called using a static IP). Some folks
    suggest using static IP addresses (particularly for things like network
    printers) so that there's never any question about "where they are".

    But if you set a static IP, you have to know what you're doing. See my
    other post for some relevant detail.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jul 26, 2008
  10. Guest

    Lem wrote:
> [...]

    > the cause of your problem. If the second DHCP server is allocating
    > IP addresses in a different subnet, some computers will not be able
    > to communicate with others, but should be able to get to the
    > Internet. On the other hand, if you have two DHCP servers allocating
    > IP addresses in the same range, that easily could result in two
    > different computers obtaining the same IP address. That, as you have
    > discovered, will not work.
    > As far as your wireless connection is concerned, you should get to the
    > list of wireless networks (e.g., View Available Wireless Networks >
    > Change Order of Preferred Networks) and delete all of the entries. Then go
    > back to the View Available Wireless Networks screen, refresh
    > it, and then login to your wireless network. This should take care
    > of any lingering incorrect wireless configurations.

    Thank you very much. As you probably guessed from my panicked emails losing
    internet access was quite stressful for me. So, now that it is working I'm
    going to leave things alone for a while - at least until tomorrow ;-)

    I have the main router setup to only accept access from certain MACs. Does
    this influence whether I would be better allowing the network to
    automatically set IPs or assigning them myself. I think I recall reading
    that assigning the IPs (or the defrault IP?) myself results in more rapid
    connections.

    Thank you so much for taking the time to answer in such detail.

    I do not know how people managed before the internet ........

    Jeff
    , Jul 26, 2008
  11. Lem Guest

    wrote:

    > Thank you very much. As you probably guessed from my panicked emails losing
    > internet access was quite stressful for me. So, now that it is working I'm
    > going to leave things alone for a while - at least until tomorrow ;-)
    >
    > I have the main router setup to only accept access from certain MACs. Does
    > this influence whether I would be better allowing the network to
    > automatically set IPs or assigning them myself. I think I recall reading
    > that assigning the IPs (or the defrault IP?) myself results in more rapid
    > connections.
    >
    > Thank you so much for taking the time to answer in such detail.
    >
    > I do not know how people managed before the internet ........
    >
    > Jeff

    MAC address filtering doesn't provide much, if any, additional security.
    It can be a problem if you are trying to add another computer to your
    LAN and forget that you have configured MAC filtering. Aside from that,
    whether you use MAC address filtering isn't related to whether you have
    IP addresses assigned manually or automatically.

    I suppose using static IPs rather than automatically-assigned IPs might
    be faster, but I doubt you'd notice the difference.

    The main issue I've seen where static IPs help is where you have a
    resource, such as a printer, that is directly connected to the network
    (i.e., not connected to a computer and shared). If computers on the
    network are configured to print using a printer port with a fixed IP
    address and the printer's IP address changes (because, e.g., it was
    turned off for a relatively long time and in the interim the router's
    DHCP server allocated that IP address to a new computer that connected
    to the LAN), you'll have a problem.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jul 27, 2008