SMC2602W Wireless Adapater Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by AndrewP, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. AndrewP

    AndrewP Guest

    I have an EZ Connect 11 Mb/ s Wireless LAN SMC2602W adapter (basically it is
    a PCI card with a PCMCIA slot and an SMC2632W PCMICIA wireless card in the
    slot). I have tried to install this using both 2602 and 2632 drivers of the
    installation CD but cannot get this card to work. Once installed I got an
    error "saying cannot start device (error code 10)".

    I then tried the latest driver from the SMC website and this seemed to work
    better but would then give up and the configuration utlity for the card /
    wireless connections would report "Could not communicate withthe device
    driver".

    I am using Windows XP professional + SP2, Athlon 2500XP CPU, 512 Mb PC2700
    RAM.

    I considered alternative drivers as a quick search on the internet suggested
    that this is an OEM product from another manufacturer and that the OEM
    drivers may work. When I tried to install the OEM drivers XP recognized the
    card as EZ Connect 11 Mb/ s Wireless LAN even though I had removed all
    traces of the driver and any references within the registry (where was it
    getting this info from?) and since it recognized the card it wouldn't
    install the OEM drivers and reported "the seletced file contains no
    information on the hardware".

    Thanks,

    Andy

    AndrewP, Mar 3, 2005