    incase i need one day to open a case, would cisco ask me to have the
    latest image on the switches for them to give me support, or there is
    no need. thax guys.

    Andy, Sep 9, 2006

  2. Andy

    Merv Guest

    If you open a case and you have a deferred image then certainly expect
    that they will want you to upgrade to see if doing so address the issue
    reported.

    Merv, Sep 9, 2006

  3. Hi Andy,

    Cisco TAC Policy:

    Receive workaround solutions to reported Cisco software problems using
    reasonable commercial efforts.

    In some cases, Cisco will implement a patch to the software.

    When Cisco asks you to upgrade software to resolve a problem, you will
    usually receive information about the specific software problem.

    However, to speed resolution, you may elect to upgrade without
    receiving the specific information.

    If this is the case, Cisco will still attempt to identify the software
    problem.

    http://www.cisco.com/public/news_training/tac_overview.html#whaticanexpect

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco TAC Contacts Worldwide
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-tac-contacts-worldwide.htm
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    BradReese.Com - Cisco SMARTnet Pricing
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-smartnet.htm

    www.BradReese.Com, Sep 9, 2006
  4. Andy

    Merv Guest

    > Hi guys, i have a Smartnet on a couple of switches, i am wondering
    > incase i need one day to open a case, would cisco ask me to have the
    > latest image on the switches for them to give me support, or there is
    > no need. thax guys.

    If the switches in question are running without any problems then I
    would not upgrade until eitehr (a) you need a new feature or (b) you
    encounter a problem that you believe may be corrected in a newer
    version of switch software.

    Upgrading software just to have the latest version is ill-advised.

    Merv, Sep 9, 2006
  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thx guys, i totaly agree with you merv and that is what i am
    recommending to my client, and i do not believe the image is a deffered
    release on any of the switches because they have been running smoothly
    on the same image for the past 2 or 3 years, but my client is pushing
    for the upgrade and he mentioned that the first thing cisco support
    will ask for when i open a case is to upgrade to the latest image.

    Andy, Sep 10, 2006
  6. Andy

    Merv Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > Thx guys, i totaly agree with you merv and that is what i am
    > recommending to my client, and i do not believe the image is a deffered
    > release on any of the switches because they have been running smoothly
    > on the same image for the past 2 or 3 years, but my client is pushing
    > for the upgrade and he mentioned that the first thing cisco support
    > will ask for when i open a case is to upgrade to the latest image.

    I would suggest pointing out to your client the pros and cons of
    upgrading IOS version.

    If I had a dollar for everytime I had to back out a release ...

    If you want to show him a really good example of how BAD things can get
    with respect to new IOS versions take a look at the number of deferred
    images there are for the 6500.

    If he insists, then you will need to selecta couple of target releases
    and do a through bug scrub for DDTS that might be triggered in your
    client's network environment.

    Upgrade one switch only and let it run for a month before upgrading any
    other switches.

    Merv, Sep 10, 2006
  7. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Thx guys, really appreciate your time.

    Andy, Sep 10, 2006
  8. Andy

    Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > Thx guys, really appreciate your time.

    Unlike many vendors of equipment containg software
    Cisco do not have a policy of requiring customers to
    run "the latest" software.

    In my experience it is not the case that TAC request
    customers to carry out blind (I call them) software
    upgrades in the hope that the problem will simply go away.

    Thing is though -
    if there are network problems of any kind
    the customer may blame you for whatever his problem is
    and it may be difficult to defend yourself. You should
    consider doing whatever the customer wants since at the end
    of the day what matters are happy customers not
    necessarily working networks.

    As already discussed, I would also not change the software
    if you have something that you know works for you.

    Cisco support software almost for ever. For example you can still
    download 11.1.36-CC4 for 7500 and 7200.

    It is deferred, presumably due to some security bug,
    but if I recall correctly 11.1CC was found to be particularly
    robust and was de-facto GD (maybe even actually GD)
    used by service providers and the like.

    , Sep 10, 2006