    you to upgrade your existing IOS to a newer version of IOS (a different
    major release)?

    Thanks

    Carl, Apr 14, 2005

  2. In article <425e24cb$0$576$>,
    Carl <> wrote:
    :if you get Smartnet support for various Cisco products does this allow
    :you to upgrade your existing IOS to a newer version of IOS (a different
    :major release)?

    *Usually*. However, if the Smartnet part number starts with SAS
    then you only gain the right to upgrade within minor releases
    [and you also get no hardware support.] SAU is the part number
    leader for software-only support that includes major upgrade
    rights. CON is the part number leader for hardware and software
    upgrades for most people. There is another part number leader
    (S2P?) for Service Providers.

    Beyond the above, you should know that if you do not already have
    the latest IOS major release, then Cisco may require you to
    purchase the upgrade before you can do a CON SmartNet agreement.

    --
    "Who Leads?" / "The men who must... driven men, compelled men."
    "Freak men."

    Walter Roberson, Apr 14, 2005

  3. Carl

    Carl Guest

    Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <425e24cb$0$576$>,
    > Carl <> wrote:
    > :if you get Smartnet support for various Cisco products does this allow
    > :you to upgrade your existing IOS to a newer version of IOS (a different
    > :major release)?
    >
    > *Usually*. However, if the Smartnet part number starts with SAS
    > then you only gain the right to upgrade within minor releases
    > [and you also get no hardware support.] SAU is the part number
    > leader for software-only support that includes major upgrade
    > rights. CON is the part number leader for hardware and software
    > upgrades for most people. There is another part number leader
    > (S2P?) for Service Providers.
    >
    > Beyond the above, you should know that if you do not already have
    > the latest IOS major release, then Cisco may require you to
    > purchase the upgrade before you can do a CON SmartNet agreement.

    Thanks Walter

    so the following part number - CON-SW-PKG3-VS indicates hardware &
    software upgrades (major releases) for Cisco products that fall in the
    PKG3 catagory?

    Regards

    Carl, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Carl

    BradReeseCom Guest

    BradReeseCom, Apr 14, 2005
  5. In article <425e308b$0$42309$>,
    Carl <> wrote:
    :so the following part number - CON-SW-PKG3-VS indicates hardware &
    :software upgrades (major releases) for Cisco products that fall in the
    :pKG3 catagory?

    Atch, I don't know the answer to that one. If I recall correctly,
    the VS suffix is "Virtual Service", and Cisco was unable to
    explain to me what virtual service and virtual packages were about.
    Also, the PKG* part numbers are being phased out, replaced with
    specific part numbers for each package (though the pricing might
    still be level-based internally.)

    I do not recall seeing a -SW- midfix before, so I'm not sure that
    provides hardware support.

    Cisco has literally several thousand smartnet part numbers,
    and they change things around.
    --
    Entropy is the logarithm of probability -- Boltzmann

    Walter Roberson, Apr 14, 2005