    the difference between PKG and VPKG?

    TIA,
    Richard.
    Richard Antony Burton, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Richard Antony Burton

    admin too Guest

    "Richard Antony Burton" <> wrote in
    message news:mn6kc.14337442$...
    > Can someone please explain the difference between the different smartnet
    > packages, or point me to an official explanation.
    >
    > I want to have access to IOS images (directly, not individually on request
    > though a support person), but I don't need hardware replacement. I would
    > also like to be able to submit bugs. It's for a cat 1 device.
    >
    > What would be the cheapest option to do this? Does CON-SW-PKG1 provide

    what
    > I need? Or does that only allow IOS fixes on a limited basis? Also, what

    is
    > the difference between PKG and VPKG?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Richard.

    You might try sending an email to cisco. This is not the right address
    exactly but maybe someone here will tell you who you should talk to: pkgreg
    @ cisco dot com.
    admin too, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Richard Antony Burton

    Martin Kayes Guest

    Hi Richard,

    This link might be useful, you don't need a Cisco login to see it.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/svcs/ps3034/ps2827/ps2978/serv_home.html

    Here is a bit more info that you won't find on the website:

    I believe that all SMARTnet packages are now called 'virtual packages' - I just checked the latest price list and all 159 listings were VPKG's

    You probably need a "SMARTnet Packaged Software Application Support Plus Upgrades" Category1, part number CON-SAU-VPKG1

    This gives you software support and also upgrades via their website. This Category 1 package in the UK would sell for about £40 so it is quite cheap.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin Kayes, Apr 30, 2004
  4. > "Martin Kayes" <> wrote in message

    > You probably need a "SMARTnet Packaged Software Application Support
    > Plus Upgrades" Category1, part number CON-SAU-VPKG1

    > This gives you software support and also upgrades via their website.
    > This Category 1 package in the UK would sell for about £40 so it is quite

    cheap.

    Thanks for the advice. Looks like it isn't going to cost me a small fortune,
    which is nice.

    Richard.
    Richard Antony Burton, May 2, 2004
  5. "Richard Antony Burton" <> wrote in message news:<aT2lc.14549052$>...
    > > "Martin Kayes" <> wrote in message

    > > You probably need a "SMARTnet Packaged Software Application Support
    > > Plus Upgrades" Category1, part number CON-SAU-VPKG1

    > > This gives you software support and also upgrades via their website.
    > > This Category 1 package in the UK would sell for about £40 so it is quite

    > cheap.
    >
    > Thanks for the advice. Looks like it isn't going to cost me a small fortune,
    > which is nice.
    >
    > Richard.

    Hi - I have recently purchased a Cisco 837 as well with an
    IP/Firewall/IPSec 3DES PLUS feature set. Unfortunately I ran into the
    same problem as Richard re SMARTnet and Categories. I already browsed
    through the group for more info and found amongst others this
    discussion.

    I am still not fully clear on the fact that an 837 is CAT1, is this
    only HW related or also feature set? And therefore still struggeling
    with which SMARTnet package to purchase.

    Hope someone can shed some more light on this issue (no clue btw why
    Cisco does not just publish this info freely).

    TIA Marcel.
    Marcel Broijl, May 25, 2004
  6. (Marcel Broijl) writes:
    >"Richard Antony Burton" <> wrote in message news:<aT2lc.14549052$>...
    >> > "Martin Kayes" <> wrote in message

    >> > You probably need a "SMARTnet Packaged Software Application Support
    >> > Plus Upgrades" Category1, part number CON-SAU-VPKG1

    >> > This gives you software support and also upgrades via their website.
    >> > This Category 1 package in the UK would sell for about £40 so it is quite

    >> cheap.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the advice. Looks like it isn't going to cost me a small fortune,
    >> which is nice.
    >>
    >> Richard.

    >Hi - I have recently purchased a Cisco 837 as well with an
    >IP/Firewall/IPSec 3DES PLUS feature set. Unfortunately I ran into the
    >same problem as Richard re SMARTnet and Categories. I already browsed
    >through the group for more info and found amongst others this
    >discussion.

    >I am still not fully clear on the fact that an 837 is CAT1, is this
    >only HW related or also feature set? And therefore still struggeling
    >with which SMARTnet package to purchase.

    >Hope someone can shed some more light on this issue (no clue btw why
    >Cisco does not just publish this info freely).

    The CISCO837-SEC-K9 bundle is still in Smartnet Packaged level 1 as
    well, but for the most part, SmartNet covers hardware, not any
    software feature packs.

    Cisco really drives their sales to their resellers or internal sales
    reps, which do have access to this info. Sales to individuals off
    self-serv web stores really isn't their thing, even though they
    probably get some business that way.

    --
    Doug McIntyre
    Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
    Doug McIntyre, May 25, 2004
  7. Richard Antony Burton

    Rod Dorman Guest

    In article <>,
    Marcel Broijl <> wrote:
    >I am still not fully clear on the fact that an 837 is CAT1, is this
    >only HW related or also feature set? And therefore still struggeling
    >with which SMARTnet package to purchase.

    Theres two related but distinct cost items here.

    1) IOS software must be licensed. The cost of the license depends upon
    what hardware its for and what feature set is included.

    2) SMARTnet coverage allows you to download the IOS feature set you've
    licensed.

    The first is a one time cost (unless you want to upgrade your feature
    set) which is included in the hardware purchase from an authorised
    distributer, or, when you licence a *used* router bought off of EBay
    or the equivalent.

    The second is an annual charge.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com
    Rod Dorman, May 26, 2004
  8. Richard Antony Burton

    ITHSC

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Cisco SMARTnet is split it to two product ranges:

    1) Cisco Software Application Support - CON-SAS and CON-SAU for Cisco applications that run on your network i.e. Call Manager.

    2) Cisco Hardware and Software support - CON-SW, CON-SN, CON-OS, and CON-PREM for hardware that runs IOS ('phone s are in this group)

    The CON-SW-PKG1-VS package, provides software support and upgrades for all products in "category" 1, CON-SW-PKG2-VS products in category 2 etc.

    It is a bit complicated to ensure you get the correct SMARTnet contract, so we've created an online calculator to guide you through the hardware support maze.
    ITHSC, Sep 17, 2006