SmartMedia card reader CR-20 problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sams, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. sams

    sams Guest

    Have anyone experienced this problem in reading a SmartMedia card
    (4MB) in a Digital Concepts (Sakar.com) SmartMedia USB Port Card
    Reader, or its only that I got a bad device?

    I have a Olympus 4MB SM card, using it serveral years and still
    working well and can hold upto 12 1024x768 pictures. This week I got a
    Digital COncepts (SAKAR.COM)CR-20 SmartMedia USB Port card reader from
    Officemax.

    Windows XP Pro SP1, recognised the Card reader when I plug the CR in
    my USB port. But it failed to read anything from the SM 4MB Card,
    Which I inserted properly and removed and reincerted again to
    makesure, its placed in position well. Also I rebooted my Windows XP.
    But no use.

    When I click on the Card Reader Icon in My Computers, It always says
    back that to insert a disk. SAKAR.Com dont have a driver for XP, and
    as the card reader is successfully recognised by WindowsXP, I think
    its not needed. But why it has not reading the SM 4MB card. Also I
    tried to format the SM card but the dialog box shows it as a 0MB, and
    failed to format the card.
    I still able to format the SM Card from the Olympus Digital Camera.

    So wondering the device is not properly tested for all SM cards, in
    particular 4MB cards?

    Appreciate anyone can share their experience in using SM Card Reader.

    Thank you

    Sam.

    sams, Feb 2, 2004

  2. sams

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    sams wrote:
    > Have anyone experienced this problem in reading a SmartMedia card
    > (4MB) in a Digital Concepts (Sakar.com) SmartMedia USB Port Card
    > Reader, or its only that I got a bad device?
    >
    > I have a Olympus 4MB SM card, using it serveral years and still
    > working well and can hold upto 12 1024x768 pictures. This week I got a
    > Digital COncepts (SAKAR.COM)CR-20 SmartMedia USB Port card reader from
    > Officemax.
    >
    > Windows XP Pro SP1, recognised the Card reader when I plug the CR in
    > my USB port. But it failed to read anything from the SM 4MB Card,
    > Which I inserted properly and removed and reincerted again to
    > makesure, its placed in position well. Also I rebooted my Windows XP.
    > But no use.
    >
    > When I click on the Card Reader Icon in My Computers, It always says
    > back that to insert a disk. SAKAR.Com dont have a driver for XP, and
    > as the card reader is successfully recognised by WindowsXP, I think
    > its not needed. But why it has not reading the SM 4MB card. Also I
    > tried to format the SM card but the dialog box shows it as a 0MB, and
    > failed to format the card.
    > I still able to format the SM Card from the Olympus Digital Camera.
    >
    > So wondering the device is not properly tested for all SM cards, in
    > particular 4MB cards?
    >
    > Appreciate anyone can share their experience in using SM Card Reader.

    It sure sounds like you have a faulty reader. What you might
    want to do is try ever so gently buffing the contact pads
    on the card.... not with any cleaner or abrasive, just gently
    with a clean dry cloth.

    The other possibility - please don't slap me upside the
    head :) - is try putting the card in other side up.

    Believe it or not one of my neighbors was doing just that :(

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Feb 2, 2004

  3. sams

    williamdue

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2014
    Messages:
    2
    It is OK.

    The factory states this reader will only work with 16 MB to 128 MB Smart cards.

    williamdue, Jun 8, 2014