  1. I want to install a smartdrive cache in windows xp home edition to use
    several megabites as cache. Is there any other program that does the same?

    Thanks outha germany :=)

    Francis Heyer, Oct 4, 2006

  2. Francis Heyer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Francis Heyer wrote:

    > I want to install a smartdrive cache in windows xp home edition to use
    > several megabites as cache. Is there any other program that does the same?
    >
    > Thanks outha germany :=)

    "Smartdrive" is dumber than bitbuckets; Gui oses already do
    buffering, and "smartdrive" will only make things worse due to
    contention as which gets priority over what, and when; lotza sloshing
    and interference which slows things down.

    Robert Baer, Oct 5, 2006

  3. Francis Heyer

    bambam Guest

    On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:19:45 +0200, Francis Heyer wrote:

    > I want to install a smartdrive cache in windows xp home edition to use
    > several megabites as cache. Is there any other program that does the same?

    I think this is what you are looking for-

    AR RAM Disk

    The AR RAM Disk is a freeware driver for Windows NT, Windows 2000 and
    Windows XP. You can use this driver to create an additional drive in the
    physical memory of your machine. This drive can be used for storing
    temporary files, which can increase your system performance.

    bambam, Oct 5, 2006
  4. > On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:19:45 +0200, Francis Heyer wrote:

    >> I want to install a smartdrive cache in windows xp home edition to use
    >> several megabites as cache. Is there any other program that does the
    >> same?

    > I think this is what you are looking for- ...

    Thanks for the atitude! But I'm looking for kind of RAM Cache :)
    Smartdrive was in the old DOS and DOS-Windows 9X area an solution to load 2
    or 3 megabites as Hardrive Cache out of the system memory! Wich enfastest
    the hardrive activity more than 2 times!!!

    Today the effective mass of chache would be 20 or 30 megabites - but I need
    a software to do so.

    :)

    Francis Heyer, Oct 8, 2006
  5. Francis Heyer

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Francis Heyer wrote:
    >>On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:19:45 +0200, Francis Heyer wrote:
    >>

    >>>I want to install a smartdrive cache in windows xp home edition to use
    >>>several megabites as cache. Is there any other program that does the
    >>>same?

    >>I think this is what you are looking for- ...

    > Thanks for the atitude! But I'm looking for kind of RAM Cache :)
    > Smartdrive was in the old DOS and DOS-Windows 9X area an solution to load 2
    > or 3 megabites as Hardrive Cache out of the system memory! Wich enfastest
    > the hardrive activity more than 2 times!!!
    >
    > Today the effective mass of chache would be 20 or 30 megabites - but I need
    > a software to do so.
    >
    > :)

    Google for XMSDSK.ZIP and try it, I have only
    used it under dos/w98/w311. Works there like a
    charm. You can start it from the commandline,
    resize it etc.

    Sjouke Burry, Oct 8, 2006
  6. Francis Heyer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Francis Heyer wrote:

    >>On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 16:19:45 +0200, Francis Heyer wrote:
    >>

    >>>I want to install a smartdrive cache in windows xp home edition to use
    >>>several megabites as cache. Is there any other program that does the
    >>>same?

    >>I think this is what you are looking for- ...

    > Thanks for the atitude! But I'm looking for kind of RAM Cache :)
    > Smartdrive was in the old DOS and DOS-Windows 9X area an solution to load 2
    > or 3 megabites as Hardrive Cache out of the system memory! Wich enfastest
    > the hardrive activity more than 2 times!!!
    >
    > Today the effective mass of chache would be 20 or 30 megabites - but I need
    > a software to do so.
    >
    > :)

    Like i said, modern GUIs *already* use caching!
    Do not use an additional product; it would eat up more RAM, leaving
    less for a program and thus require more "sloshing" between program
    space RAM, cache RAM, and virtual memory - the use of this last item
    will be more likely and thus *slow down* the system in certain cases.
    And that is on top of the contention as to which RAM cache (GUI cache
    and added cache) will do what and when.

    Robert Baer, Oct 9, 2006