    not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it. Plugging the drive into
    my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A second identical drive works
    ok with both computers. I am very worried...

    steven, Jan 1, 2006

  2. steven

    PC Guest

    "steven" <> wrote in message
    news:dp9nvq$rda$-infra.bt.com...
    > Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week and
    > styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I can hear
    > the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light on the
    > casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it. Plugging
    > the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A second
    > identical drive works ok with both computers. I am very worried...

    "I can't acces the drive at all" & "the blue light on the casing does not
    go on"

    Kinda tells me it's knackered, hope you kept the receipt and had alternate
    backup's

    Best luck
    Paul.

    PC, Jan 1, 2006

  3. steven

    The Shed Guest

    "steven" <> wrote in message
    > Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week
    > and styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I
    > can hear the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light
    > on the casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it.
    > Plugging the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A
    > second identical drive works ok with both computers. I am very
    > worried...

    All a bit retrospective i know.
    First why did you but the 40gb? the 150was only 68.99
    Was the drive formatted, and or seen by your OS?
    have you got the jumpers set as slave?
    Not even going to ask you about being seen in bios

    God i hate christmas and new toys

    The Shed, Jan 1, 2006
  4. steven wrote:

    > Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week and
    > styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I can hear
    > the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light on the
    > casing does
    > not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it. Plugging the drive
    > into
    > my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A second identical drive
    > works
    > ok with both computers. I am very worried...

    The whirring noise might be a little fan, and the power supply for the
    blue light and the interface circuitry is missing. Have you exchanged the
    power supplies for both drives?
    Linux 2.6.12-mm2 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Jan 2, 2006
  5. steven

    steven Guest

    Brought 40GB becasue I figured that if I had anything bigger I would get
    lazy and put loads of date on it without making bakups. Turned out I did
    the right thing, I DID have bakups and I spent the last hour checking to see
    if any of my 2300 jpegs have been lost. They have not :)
    Of on a 10 day holiday tomnorrow and will try to sort out problem when I
    return. I had paid £99 for the hard drive and lost the receipt, so I have to
    try and get it to work. Anybody with any ideas on where to start is very
    welcome. I'm quite ignorant about computer matters and can see the likely
    outcome of this saga being my chucking the drive out of the window...

    steven, Jan 2, 2006
  6. steven

    The Shed Guest

    "steven" <> wrote in message
    > Brought 40GB becasue I figured that if I had anything bigger I would
    > get lazy and put loads of date on it without making bakups. Turned
    > out I did the right thing, I DID have bakups and I spent the last hour
    > checking to see if any of my 2300 jpegs have been lost. They have not
    > :)
    > Of on a 10 day holiday tomnorrow and will try to sort out problem when
    > I return. I had paid £99 for the hard drive and lost the receipt, so I
    > have to try and get it to work. Anybody with any ideas on where to
    > start is very welcome. I'm quite ignorant about computer matters and
    > can see the likely outcome of this saga being my chucking the drive
    > out of the window...
    >

    > "The Shed" <woodybitsfourbytwo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "steven" <> wrote in message
    >>> Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week
    >>> and styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I
    >>> can hear the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue
    >>> light on the casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not
    >>> find it. Plugging the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works
    >>> either. A second identical drive works ok with both computers. I
    >>> am very worried...
    >>>

    >> All a bit retrospective i know.
    >> First why did you but the 40gb? the 150was only 68.99
    >> Was the drive formatted, and or seen by your OS?
    >> have you got the jumpers set as slave?
    >> Not even going to ask you about being seen in bios
    >>
    >> God i hate christmas and new toys

    £99 for the 40??????

    Jeez i know dixons are bad

    The Shed, Jan 2, 2006
  7. steven

    The Shed Guest

    "steven" <> wrote in message
    > Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week
    > and styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I
    > can hear the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light
    > on the casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it.
    > Plugging the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A
    > second identical drive works ok with both computers. I am very
    > worried...

    Having read your reply-----take the box to your local shop and get them
    to install it for you----you will screw your machine up if you keep on
    playing with it.
    Still can not get head around buying a 40gb tho

    The Shed, Jan 2, 2006
  8. steven

    PC Guest

    "steven" <> wrote in message
    > Urgent help needed. I brought 1 40GB hardrive from Dixons last week and
    > styored 2000 jpegs on it. Now I can't acces the drive at all. I can hear
    > the normal whirring noise coming out of it but the blue light on the
    > casing does not go on and the pc with win xp does not find it. Plugging
    > the drive into my pc using win 98 no longer works either. A second
    > identical drive works ok with both computers. I am very worried...

    Steven

    Is this a USB 'external' drive?

    Paul.

    PC, Jan 2, 2006
  9. steven

    steven Guest

    Spent 3hours hours last time sorting out the bakups then went to bed. This
    moning I test the "Smartdrive" (which is an external drive) again and it
    works ok, straight away! Don't know what to think....
    To summarise the problem: I have two of these 40GB drives, they both have
    worked well for the last couple of weeks on a laptop (win xp) and a PC (WIN
    98). There are about 9GB's worth of jpegs on each of them. Last night one
    of them did not work, a little motor in it sounded like it was working but
    the usual blue light on the drive was lacking, the computer could'nt detect
    a usb device and so I could not access the drive. I tried both Smartdrives
    on both
    computers, using bothe the usb connectors, I switched off computers and
    drives then tried everything again...no success. I left the dodgy drive
    plugged in with the motor whirling for 30mins in case it just needed time...
    no success. Then this morning it powers up and work ok immediately, as if
    it sorted itself out overnight, is that possible, does it have some internal
    battery to use for sorting out its data whilst dreaming?

    One only thing worth mentioning is that I had done a virus scan on the
    Smartdrive just before it had started to malfunction. Anyway thanks to
    all the various comments from all concerned.

    steven, Jan 2, 2006