    cc0275012 Guest

    Has anyone had any experience with SmartCertify Direct for training? I am
    looking at using them and wonder what others experiences have been.
    cc0275012, Aug 25, 2004

  2. cc0275012

    AG Guest

    "cc0275012" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Has anyone had any experience with SmartCertify Direct for training? I am
    > looking at using them and wonder what others experiences have been.

    I've seen some reviews that were pretty critical of them, their service and
    their practices and such. They are pretty high pressure when they've called
    me in the past.
    Read this article.
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff103216.htm

    AG
    AG, Aug 25, 2004

  3. cc0275012

    cc0275012 Guest

    I am beginning to agree. A community college class would be best, but no one
    around here ( I checked 5) offers it until the summer.
    What about using Transcender?
    "No one" <> wrote in message
    > you're better off taking the classes at a local community college. I

    wasted

    cc0275012, Aug 26, 2004
  4. cc0275012

    AG Guest

    "cc0275012" <> wrote in message
    > I am beginning to agree. A community college class would be best, but no

    one
    > around here ( I checked 5) offers it until the summer.
    > What about using Transcender?
    > "No one" <> wrote in message
    > > you're better off taking the classes at a local community college. I

    > wasted
    > > almost $1,500 with smart certify direct.

    For the cost of Transcenders you could get 3 or 4 old computers that you
    could mess with and fix/tear up and a copy of a good A+ book to guide you.
    Unless you are one of those people that just need the discipline and
    structure of classes to learn my advice would be to get a good book, a
    screwdriver and some old computers.
    Many, if not most of the software tools that I use when working on computers
    are free to download from the internet.
    Finally, take a look at the Google archives of this group and look at the
    posts by people who passed the tests and what they say works. I've seen a
    very large number of posts complaining about not learning anything useful
    from classes and a bunch from people that used the Meyers books and others.
    AG
    AG, Aug 26, 2004
  5. cc0275012

    cc0275012 Guest

    It would :)

    But if I can get my company to pay for it.... :)

    "xmp" <> wrote in message
    > cc0275012 wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the info. I passed A+ using the Michael Meyer's Passport book

    and
    > > the Dummies book.
    > > I was looking at them for some of the other Comptia certifications. It

    looks
    > > like I can spend about $500
    > > with them, or $1600 at a local community college and get

    Server+/Network+

    cc0275012, Aug 27, 2004
  6. cc0275012

    cc0275012 Guest

    Passport book is "ok" for Server+ but not enough. It doesn't follow the
    objectives. It's may be "ok" if you are skipping A+ trying to get Server+.
    You need more than the Passport book though.
    "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message

    > "cc0275012" <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the info. I passed A+ using the Michael Meyer's Passport book

    > and
    > > the Dummies book.
    > > I was looking at them for some of the other Comptia certifications. It

    > looks
    > > like I can spend about $500
    > > with them, or $1600 at a local community college and get

    Server+/Network+
    > > training.
    > >

    > If you did A+ with with the passport, you can probably dor Net+, and

    Server+

    cc0275012, Aug 27, 2004
  7. cc0275012

    merlin8 Guest

    They dont respect opt-out on the telemarketing of your tele. I have
    expressed to them on several occasions I am not interested in their
    expensive scams. You are better off getting a good book on the
    certification you want to pursue and lurk around the usenet/google
    learning from others that have done it. Then when your ready just do it.

    merlin8, Aug 28, 2004
  8. cc0275012

    merlin8 Guest

    Why are server+ and network+ different exam? Servers are related to
    network technology and should be apart of net+.

    merlin8, Aug 28, 2004
  9. "xmp" <> wrote in message
    > cc0275012 wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the info. I passed A+ using the Michael Meyer's

    Passport book and
    > > the Dummies book.
    > > I was looking at them for some of the other Comptia

    certifications. It looks
    > > like I can spend about $500
    > > with them, or $1600 at a local community college and get

    Server+/Network+
    > > training.

    > $1600 would buy a nice home lab <g>.
    >
    > michael

    or two nice home rottweilers ;)
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 29, 2004
  10. "merlin8" <> wrote in message
    > They dont respect opt-out on the telemarketing of your tele. I have
    > expressed to them on several occasions I am not interested in their
    > expensive scams. You are better off getting a good book on the
    > <snipped>

    makes me wonder if there are enough people out there trying to get
    certs that i could make a decent buck helping them get certified...
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 29, 2004
  11. "xmp" <> wrote in message

    > > "merlin8" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Why are server+ and network+ different exam? Servers are related

    > >>network technology and should be apart of net+.
    > >>

    > Let's dump A+, Linux+, Security+, Server+, and Net+ and have a

    SuperIT+.
    > I'm envisioning a $300 multi-volume study guide.
    >
    > michael

    to accomplish that, you'd have to start your own IS industry
    association and hope like hell you get enough companies to sign onto
    it.

    come to think of it, i'm surprised nobody has a DOS+ or a Mac+
    certification (but then, macs are designed so the most computer
    illiterate can use them).

    and while we're on the subject, they should come out with a C+++ cert
    as well, but i guess that's why they invented bachelors' degrees.
    --
    Brought to you courtesy of Kozanski's Morgue & Grill
    Solomon Kozanski, Aug 30, 2004
  12. cc0275012

    merlin8 Guest

    But it still is related to network technology. you login to your server
    using tcp/http[80], telnet[23],ftp[21], or console. still got to transmit
    your info one way or another, via fingers to keys or electrical signals on
    copper. should be an subset domain to the network+ exam. oh well.

    merlin8, Sep 15, 2004
  13. so basically what you're saying is that network+ handles the physical
    transmission of data and the software layer (protocols) which routes
    it to the client end, whereas the client layer itself is covered by
    server+?

    incidentally, you dont necessarily need your server on a different
    system.. you could run server software on your local machine and use
    client services on the same machine to access it.

    reminds me of a friend who telnetted into his machine, telnetted back
    into his own machine through the previous client, over and over again
    until he ran out of memory - on the other hand, he also owns 300 tandy
    cocos, drives an old ambulance, and builds trident missile telemetry
    systems for a living.

    Solomon Kozanski, Sep 16, 2004