    Craig Sutton Guest

    Why don't Microsoft release a repair worm that trawls the net repairing
    mblast infected machines.

    Craig Sutton, Aug 13, 2003

  2. "Craig Sutton" <> wrote in message
    news:bhckmv$kgj$...
    > Why don't Microsoft release a repair worm that trawls the net repairing
    > mblast infected machines.

    Because that would be a massive waste of everybodies bandwidths. Remember
    when Klez caused a major netwide slowdown?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Craig Sutton

    Rupert Guest

    yes but will we see the RIAA send out a virus which means that the port for
    filesharing has to be blocked? - if such a thing can be done!

    Rupert, Aug 13, 2003
  4. Craig Sutton

    lily Guest

    Craig Sutton wrote:

    > Why don't Microsoft release a repair worm that trawls the net repairing
    > mblast infected machines.

    They have released a socially engineered version called "Windows Update"
    ;) It has a revised EULA payload that you must click through.

    lily, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Craig Sutton

    T.N.O Guest

    "Craig Sutton" wrote
    | Why don't Microsoft release a repair worm that trawls the net repairing
    | mblast infected machines.

    Because Linux freaks would claim that it was unethical... or something.

    T.N.O, Aug 13, 2003
  6. On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:41:11 +1200, lily <> wrote:

    >They have released a socially engineered version called "Windows Update"
    >;) It has a revised EULA payload that you must click through.

    Why should we agre to yet another EULA just to save Micro$oft??

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Aug 13, 2003
  7. "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    > >They have released a socially engineered version called "Windows Update"
    > >;) It has a revised EULA payload that you must click through.
    > >

    > Why should we agre to yet another EULA just to save Micro$oft??

    To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
    that you're saving from being comprimised

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 13, 2003
  8. On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:48:48 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
    <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    >To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
    >that you're saving from being comprimised

    According to the media the blaster worm is designed to bring about a
    DOS on Microsoft, does not sound like that has anything to do with my
    computer.

    So if Micro$oft wants to protect its butt it should drop its EULAs
    not only for the worm fix but forever more

    Patrick

    F O R E V ER

    Patrick FitzGerald, Aug 13, 2003
  9. "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    > >To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
    > >that you're saving from being comprimised

    > According to the media the blaster worm is designed to bring about a
    > DOS on Microsoft, does not sound like that has anything to do with my
    > computer.

    Think. It appears that Blaster's payload is to launch a distributed denial
    of service against Windows Update on Saturday. If all you think about is
    that, then all you are doing is treating the symptoms and not the underlying
    problem. The blaster worm targets a vulnerability in Windows that has been
    patched by MS03-26. The same vulernability can give attackers admin level
    access to your machine remotely and execute arbitrary code. Your PC is not
    your PC anymore.

    > So if Micro$oft wants to protect its butt it should drop its EULAs
    > not only for the worm fix but forever more

    No EULAs no software. Who releases software without an associated license??
    If you want to run with a comprised system more fool you in my humble
    opinion.

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 14, 2003
  10. Craig Sutton

    lily Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>They have released a socially engineered version called "Windows Update"
    >>>;) It has a revised EULA payload that you must click through.
    >>>

    >>Why should we agre to yet another EULA just to save Micro$oft??

    > To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
    > that you're saving from being comprimised

    The hardware you own isn't borked, the software that you are licensing
    from Microsoft and don't own is.
    Why does Microsoft not indemnify its customers against business loss
    caused by faults in the design of their operating system ?

    lily, Aug 14, 2003
  11. Craig Sutton

    lily Guest

    Patrick FitzGerald wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:41:11 +1200, lily <> wrote:
    >

    >>They have released a socially engineered version called "Windows Update"
    >>;) It has a revised EULA payload that you must click through.
    >>

    > Why should we agre to yet another EULA just to save Micro$oft??
    >
    > Patrick

    Because thats the conditions under which they allow you to use a repair.
    You were quite happy to agree to the initial EULA weren't you ??

    lily, Aug 14, 2003
  12. On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:05:14 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
    <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    >No EULAs no software. Who releases software without an associated license??
    >If you want to run with a comprised system more fool you in my humble
    >opinion.

    If micro$oft did not write softawre that needed such frequent
    repairs then I would not need to sign so many EULAs would I?,

    It has always been my practice to avoid micro$oft software whenever
    that is possible to avoid being a victim of those who expolit
    microsofts bugs

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Aug 14, 2003
  13. On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:05:14 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
    <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    >"Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message

    >Think. It appears that Blaster's payload is to launch a distributed denial
    >of service against Windows Update on Saturday. If all you think about is
    >that, then all you are doing is treating the symptoms and not the underlying
    >problem. The blaster worm targets a vulnerability in Windows that has been
    >patched by MS03-26. The same vulernability can give attackers admin level
    >access to your machine remotely and execute arbitrary code. Your PC is not
    >your PC anymore.

    OK I can see the validity of that.

    When Micro$oft eventually installs Palladium that same Palladiym will
    give micro$oft admin level access to my machine remotely and execute
    arbitrary code. and MY PC will not be my PC anymore

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Aug 14, 2003
  14. On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:19:28 +1200, lily <> wrote:

    >Because thats the conditions under which they allow you to use a repair.
    >You were quite happy to agree to the initial EULA weren't you ??

    NO NO NO NO NO

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Aug 14, 2003
  15. Craig Sutton

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:15:45 +1200, lily <> wrote:

    >Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >
    >> "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message

    >>>Why should we agre to yet another EULA just to save Micro$oft??

    >> To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
    >> that you're saving from being comprimised
    >>

    >The hardware you own isn't borked, the software that you are licensing
    >from Microsoft and don't own is.
    >Why does Microsoft not indemnify its customers against business loss
    >caused by faults in the design of their operating system ?

    I know, they haven't got enough money :)

    Bret, Aug 14, 2003
  16. In article <bhevqr$lj9$>, "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote:
    >"Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:26:26 +1200, Bret <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >I know, they haven't got enough money :)

    >> Bill Gates, the guy who thinks prime numbers can have factors, could
    >> pay up,.

    >But they do. 1 and the prime number. Prime numbers have 2 factors.

    ... but one of those is trivial and part of the definition of "prime" IIRC :)

    Bruce

    Oook !
    NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 14, 2003
  17. "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:48:48 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
    > <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:
    >

    > >To save Microsoft? Microsoft's computers aren't infected - its yourself
    > >that you're saving from being comprimised

    > According to the media the blaster worm is designed to bring about a
    > DOS on Microsoft, does not sound like that has anything to do with my
    > computer.

    Okay.... this is seriously just not the case. The worm opens your system
    wide open for remote CMD sessions on port 4444. It causes your system to
    crash all of the time, shut down at random intervals, and internet is
    practically unusuable.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 14, 2003

    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 14, 2003
  19. Craig Sutton

    T.N.O. Guest

    Patrick FitzGerald wrote
    > >You were quite happy to agree to the initial EULA weren't you ??
    > >

    > NO NO NO NO NO

    So you didn't agree to the initial EULA? so your not running Windows...

    T.N.O., Aug 14, 2003
  20. Craig Sutton

    Col^ Guest

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 00:18:59 GMT, (Patrick FitzGerald) wrote:

    >On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:05:14 +1200, "Nathan Mercer"
    ><nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    >>"Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message

    >>Think. It appears that Blaster's payload is to launch a distributed denial
    >>of service against Windows Update on Saturday. If all you think about is
    >>that, then all you are doing is treating the symptoms and not the underlying
    >>problem. The blaster worm targets a vulnerability in Windows that has been
    >>patched by MS03-26. The same vulernability can give attackers admin level
    >>access to your machine remotely and execute arbitrary code. Your PC is not
    >>your PC anymore.

    >OK I can see the validity of that.
    >
    >When Micro$oft eventually installs Palladium that same Palladiym will
    >give micro$oft admin level access to my machine remotely and execute
    >arbitrary code. and MY PC will not be my PC anymore

    Patsy, you are the thicko, your spelling betrays you. ©
    --

    Col

    Col's law.
    Thinly sliced cabbage..