    example, http://www.computing.net and I can't understand why. I've run Ad-aware
    and Spybot but both find absolutely nothing.

    Anybody have any ideas? It's rather annoying.

    jedi, Nov 24, 2003

  2. jedi

    °Mike° Guest

    General Information About Smart Tags

    Smart Tags are stupid
    http://www.glassdog.com/smarttags/

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:18:49 -0000, in
    <sQswb.6481$>
    jedi scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 24, 2003

  3. jedi

    jedi Guest

    I eventually tracked it down to IntelliTXT. Information below:

    Double-underlined links advertising has started to show up on many websites. I
    find that they interrupt the flow of reading more than GIF or Flash banners .
    The idea reminds me so much of Microsoft's Smart Tags, which fortunately are
    abandoned, at least for the time being. This advertising method apparently
    "only" works in Win/IE, which is not good news for the majority of Internet
    users out there.

    The ads are being served by Vibrant Media and they can easily be blocked via
    Hosts file:
    127.0.0.1 itxt.vibrantmedia.com

    Added the following to my host file:

    127.0.0.1 itxt.vibrantmedia.com

    jedi, Nov 25, 2003
  4. jedi

    °Mike° Guest

    Thanks for the feedback.

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:42:36 -0000, in
    <fwMwb.7036$>
    jedi scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 25, 2003
  5. jedi

    falz Guest

    The same thing appeared on my PC as of today/yesterday, and I can't
    track it down. Spybot appears to have no update for this. While
    updating my hosts file may work, I'd like to track down what exactly
    got on here to do so. I'm always very careful about what I install.
    However, I did install eMule the other day. (and have since removed
    it). Other than that, I've not had kaaza, bearshare, etc etc on this
    machine.

    In the middle of writing this, I noticed this article:

    Which basically says straight up that it's something coming from the
    website itsself, and not spyware. While this is a relief, it's
    unfortunate that this type of advertising has crept up.

    BTW, the site that made me think something was up was this link:

    http://ps2.ign.com/articles/458/458560p2.html?fromint=1

    "Resident Evil" in the last paragraph is all advertised-up. I gave
    Mozilla firebird a shot last week, and just viewed this page with it.
    Indeed, back to "normal". It seems very strange to me that an
    advertising method would be chosen which only functions in one web
    browser. But, the good side to it is that I can dump that one browser.

    --falz

    falz, Nov 26, 2003