SMART & Seagate Drives

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brian Mathews, Mar 29, 2008.

  1. From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing software with Seagate
    drives.

    They use there own propriety system and No SMART software will work with it.

    Seagate in the e-mail stated Only to use there Tools SEATOOLS dos/win, problem is it will not run
    if the drives are on a Raid controller, like in my case but as the IDE Controller.
     
    Brian Mathews, Mar 29, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    > software with Seagate drives.


    root@theon:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    smartctl version 5.38 [x86_64-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
    Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
    Device Model: ST3320620AS
    Serial Number: 5QF5273J
    Firmware Version: 3.AAK
    User Capacity: 320,072,933,376 bytes
    Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    ATA Version is: 7
    ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
    Local Time is: Sat Mar 29 16:59:54 2008 NZDT
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 29, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:00:38 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >write:
    >
    >> From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    >> software with Seagate drives.

    >
    >root@theon:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    >smartctl version 5.38 [x86_64-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
    >Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >
    >=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    >Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
    >Device Model: ST3320620AS
    >Serial Number: 5QF5273J
    >Firmware Version: 3.AAK
    >User Capacity: 320,072,933,376 bytes
    >Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    >ATA Version is: 7
    >ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
    >Local Time is: Sat Mar 29 16:59:54 2008 NZDT
    >SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    >SMART support is: Enabled



    I WILL STATE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT USE SMART SOFTWARE WITH SEAGATE HARD DRIVES AS THE READING GEVEN ARE
    PROPRIETY..

    YOU CAN ONLY USE THE SEATOOLS SOFTWARE.

    THE SMART READINGS HAVE NO MEANINGS.
     
    Brian Mathews, Mar 29, 2008
    #3
  4. Brian Mathews

    EMB Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:00:38 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >> write:
    >>
    >>> From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    >>> software with Seagate drives.

    >> root@theon:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    >> smartctl version 5.38 [x86_64-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
    >> Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    >> Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
    >> Device Model: ST3320620AS
    >> Serial Number: 5QF5273J
    >> Firmware Version: 3.AAK
    >> User Capacity: 320,072,933,376 bytes
    >> Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    >> ATA Version is: 7
    >> ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
    >> Local Time is: Sat Mar 29 16:59:54 2008 NZDT
    >> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    >> SMART support is: Enabled

    >
    >
    > I WILL STATE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT USE SMART SOFTWARE WITH SEAGATE HARD DRIVES AS THE READING GEVEN ARE
    > PROPRIETY..
    >
    > YOU CAN ONLY USE THE SEATOOLS SOFTWARE.
    >
    > THE SMART READINGS HAVE NO MEANINGS.
    >

    Bullshit Roger. SMART is a standard... and Seagate have not broken it.
     
    EMB, Mar 29, 2008
    #4
  5. Brian Mathews

    Max Burke Guest

    > Brian Mathews wrote:

    >> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:00:38 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:


    > From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    > software with Seagate drives.



    >>root@theon:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    >>smartctl version 5.38 [x86_64-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce
    >>Allen
    >>Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/



    > I WILL STATE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT USE SMART SOFTWARE WITH SEAGATE HARD DRIVES
    > AS THE READING GEVEN ARE
    > PROPRIETY..
    > YOU CAN ONLY USE THE SEATOOLS SOFTWARE.
    > THE SMART READINGS HAVE NO MEANINGS.


    No need to shout...

    HDD Health v3.2 Build 134 Beta new! (works with the internal Seagate drives
    in my computer; Cant read the SMART info over USB for the external Seagate
    drives)

    HDD Health is a full-featured failure-prediction agent for machines using
    Windows 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 and XP. Sitting in the system tray, it monitors
    hard disks and alerts you to impending failure. The program uses Self
    Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) built into all new hard
    disks, and can predict failures on your hard drives. A host of alerting
    features include email, local pop-up messages, net messages, and event
    logging, while using no system resources.
    http://www.panterasoft.com/

    What is SpeedFan (works with the internal Seagate drives; Cant read the
    SMART info over USB for the external Seagate drives)
    SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in
    computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T.
    info for those hard disks that support this feature and show hard disk
    temperatures too, if supported. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too.
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    --

    Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    Found Images
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke
     
    Max Burke, Mar 29, 2008
    #5
  6. In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:00:38 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >>write:
    >>
    >>> From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    >>> software with Seagate drives.

    >>
    >>root@theon:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    >>smartctl version 5.38 [x86_64-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce
    >>Allen Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >>=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    >>Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
    >>Device Model: ST3320620AS
    >>Serial Number: 5QF5273J
    >>Firmware Version: 3.AAK
    >>User Capacity: 320,072,933,376 bytes
    >>Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    >>ATA Version is: 7
    >>ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
    >>Local Time is: Sat Mar 29 16:59:54 2008 NZDT
    >>SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    >>SMART support is: Enabled

    >
    >
    > I WILL STATE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT USE SMART SOFTWARE WITH SEAGATE HARD
    > DRIVES AS THE READING GEVEN ARE
    > PROPRIETY..


    root@theon:~ # smartctl -a /dev/sda
    smartctl version 5.38 [x86_64-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
    Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
    Device Model: ST3320620AS
    Serial Number: 5QF5273J
    Firmware Version: 3.AAK
    User Capacity: 320,072,933,376 bytes
    Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    ATA Version is: 7
    ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
    Local Time is: Sun Mar 30 11:08:42 2008 NZDT
    SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    SMART support is: Enabled

    === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
    SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

    General SMART Values:
    Offline data collection status: (0x82) Offline data collection activity
    was completed without error.
    Auto Offline Data Collection:
    Enabled.
    Self-test execution status: ( 0) The previous self-test routine
    completed
    without error or no self-test has
    ever
    been run.
    Total time to complete Offline
    data collection: ( 430) seconds.
    Offline data collection
    capabilities: (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
    Auto Offline data collection on/off
    support.
    Suspend Offline collection upon new
    command.
    Offline surface scan supported.
    Self-test supported.
    No Conveyance Self-test supported.
    Selective Self-test supported.
    SMART capabilities: (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
    power-saving mode.
    Supports SMART auto save timer.
    Error logging capability: (0x01) Error logging supported.
    General Purpose Logging supported.
    Short self-test routine
    recommended polling time: ( 1) minutes.
    Extended self-test routine
    recommended polling time: ( 115) minutes.

    SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
    Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
    ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED
    WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
    1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000f 110 100 006 Pre-fail
    Always - 0
    3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0003 098 098 000 Pre-fail
    Always - 0
    4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age
    Always - 4
    5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 036 Pre-fail
    Always - 0
    7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000f 075 060 030 Pre-fail
    Always - 31249392
    9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 093 093 000 Old_age
    Always - 6680
    10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0013 100 100 097 Pre-fail
    Always - 0
    12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age
    Always - 4
    187 Reported_Uncorrect 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age
    Always - 0
    189 High_Fly_Writes 0x003a 100 100 000 Old_age
    Always - 0
    190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022 053 047 045 Old_age
    Always - 47 (Lifetime Min/Max 31/53)
    194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 047 053 000 Old_age
    Always - 47 (0 21 0 0)
    195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x001a 062 059 000 Old_age
    Always - 180943786
    197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age
    Always - 0
    198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0010 100 100 000 Old_age
    Offline - 0
    199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x003e 200 200 000 Old_age
    Always - 0
    200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0000 100 253 000 Old_age
    Offline - 0
    202 TA_Increase_Count 0x0032 100 253 000 Old_age
    Always - 0

    SMART Error Log Version: 1
    No Errors Logged

    SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

    SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
    SPAN MIN_LBA MAX_LBA CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1 0 0 Not_testing
    2 0 0 Not_testing
    3 0 0 Not_testing
    4 0 0 Not_testing
    5 0 0 Not_testing
    Selective self-test flags (0x0):
    After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
    If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 29, 2008
    #6
  7. On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 01:24:58 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >Brian Mathews wrote:
    >> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:00:38 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >>> write:
    >>>
    >>>> From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    >>>> software with Seagate drives.
    >>> root@theon:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    >>> smartctl version 5.38 [x86_64-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen
    >>> Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >>>
    >>> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    >>> Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
    >>> Device Model: ST3320620AS
    >>> Serial Number: 5QF5273J
    >>> Firmware Version: 3.AAK
    >>> User Capacity: 320,072,933,376 bytes
    >>> Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    >>> ATA Version is: 7
    >>> ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
    >>> Local Time is: Sat Mar 29 16:59:54 2008 NZDT
    >>> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    >>> SMART support is: Enabled

    >>
    >>
    >> I WILL STATE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT USE SMART SOFTWARE WITH SEAGATE HARD DRIVES AS THE READING GEVEN ARE
    >> PROPRIETY..
    >>
    >> YOU CAN ONLY USE THE SEATOOLS SOFTWARE.
    >>
    >> THE SMART READINGS HAVE NO MEANINGS.
    >>

    >Bullshit Roger. SMART is a standard... and Seagate have not broken it.




    Go do some Google searched and come back and apologize..
     
    Brian Mathews, Mar 30, 2008
    #7
  8. On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:09:56 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >write:
    >
    >> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:00:38 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >>>write:
    >>>
    >>>> From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    >>>> software with Seagate drives.
    >>>
    >>>root@theon:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    >>>smartctl version 5.38 [x86_64-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce
    >>>Allen Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >>>
    >>>=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    >>>Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 family
    >>>Device Model: ST3320620AS
    >>>Serial Number: 5QF5273J
    >>>Firmware Version: 3.AAK
    >>>User Capacity: 320,072,933,376 bytes
    >>>Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
    >>>ATA Version is: 7
    >>>ATA Standard is: Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
    >>>Local Time is: Sat Mar 29 16:59:54 2008 NZDT
    >>>SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
    >>>SMART support is: Enabled

    >>
    >>
    >> I WILL STATE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT USE SMART SOFTWARE WITH SEAGATE HARD
    >> DRIVES AS THE READING GEVEN ARE
    >> PROPRIETY..




    I will sate again the Readings that you get are Seagate specific and can't be used with SMART
    software.

    I do suggest you do some research before you make a utter fool of yourself..

    I have done that over a few days and that is why I posted the comments here.
     
    Brian Mathews, Mar 30, 2008
    #8
  9. On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 03:18:44 +1300, "Max Burke" <> wrote:

    >> Brian Mathews wrote:

    >
    >>> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 17:00:38 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >>> <_zealand> wrote:

    >
    >> From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    >> software with Seagate drives.

    >
    >
    >>>root@theon:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    >>>smartctl version 5.38 [x86_64-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce
    >>>Allen
    >>>Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    >
    >
    >> I WILL STATE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT USE SMART SOFTWARE WITH SEAGATE HARD DRIVES
    >> AS THE READING GEVEN ARE
    >> PROPRIETY..
    >> YOU CAN ONLY USE THE SEATOOLS SOFTWARE.
    >> THE SMART READINGS HAVE NO MEANINGS.

    >
    >No need to shout...
    >
    >HDD Health v3.2 Build 134 Beta new! (works with the internal Seagate drives
    >in my computer; Cant read the SMART info over USB for the external Seagate
    >drives)
    >
    >HDD Health is a full-featured failure-prediction agent for machines using
    >Windows 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 and XP. Sitting in the system tray, it monitors
    >hard disks and alerts you to impending failure. The program uses Self
    >Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) built into all new hard
    >disks, and can predict failures on your hard drives. A host of alerting
    >features include email, local pop-up messages, net messages, and event
    >logging, while using no system resources.
    >http://www.panterasoft.com/
    >
    >What is SpeedFan (works with the internal Seagate drives; Cant read the
    >SMART info over USB for the external Seagate drives)
    >SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in
    >computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T.
    >info for those hard disks that support this feature and show hard disk
    >temperatures too, if supported. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too.
    >http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php




    All SMART software works with Seagate drives as the have SMART built into them, BUT the readings
    cant be used as they are special propriety to Seagate, Please READ what I posted.
     
    Brian Mathews, Mar 30, 2008
    #9
  10. Brian Mathews

    Thor Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:

    > I will sate again the Readings that you get are Seagate specific and
    > can't be used with SMART software.
    >
    > I do suggest you do some research before you make a utter fool of
    > yourself..
    >
    > I have done that over a few days and that is why I posted the comments
    > here.



    From the horses mouth itself, that gave me the biggest laugh I've had for
    ages. We all know you are a fool Roger but for you to actually admit it was
    just the icing on the cake.
     
    Thor, Mar 30, 2008
    #10
  11. Brian Mathews

    Max Burke Guest

    > Brian Mathews wrote:

    >> Max Burke wrote:


    > From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    > software with Seagate drives.


    > I WILL STATE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT USE SMART SOFTWARE WITH SEAGATE HARD DRIVES
    > AS THE READING GEVEN ARE
    > PROPRIETY..
    > YOU CAN ONLY USE THE SEATOOLS SOFTWARE.
    > THE SMART READINGS HAVE NO MEANINGS.


    >>No need to shout...
    >>HDD Health v3.2 Build 134 Beta new! (works with the internal Seagate
    >>drives
    >>in my computer; Cant read the SMART info over USB for the external Seagate
    >>drives)
    >>HDD Health is a full-featured failure-prediction agent for machines using
    >>Windows 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 and XP. Sitting in the system tray, it
    >>monitors
    >>hard disks and alerts you to impending failure. The program uses Self
    >>Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) built into all new hard
    >>disks, and can predict failures on your hard drives. A host of alerting
    >>features include email, local pop-up messages, net messages, and event
    >>logging, while using no system resources.
    >>http://www.panterasoft.com/


    >>What is SpeedFan (works with the internal Seagate drives; Cant read the
    >>SMART info over USB for the external Seagate drives)
    >>SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures
    >>in
    >>computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T.
    >>info for those hard disks that support this feature and show hard disk
    >>temperatures too, if supported. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too.
    >>http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php


    > All SMART software works with Seagate drives as the have SMART built into
    > them,


    SO do most other brands of Hard drives.

    S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology.
    S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major hard disk drive
    manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of drives.
    It is a technology that enables the PC to predict the future failure of hard
    disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard
    drive manufacturers.

    Through the S.M.A.R.T. system, modern hard disk drives incorporate a suite
    of advanced diagnostics that monitor the internal operations of a drive and
    provide an early warning for many types of potential problems. When a
    potential problem is detected, the drive can be repaired or replaced before
    any data is lost or damaged.
    http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-technology.html

    > BUT the readings
    > cant be used as they are special propriety to Seagate, Please READ what I
    > posted.


    To repeat:
    HDD Health is a full-featured failure-prediction agent for machines using
    Windows 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 and XP. Sitting in the system tray, it monitors
    hard disks and alerts you to impending failure.
    The program uses Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) built
    into

    ==> ALL NEW HARD DISKS <==,

    and can predict failures on your hard drives.


    What EXACTLY are you trying to use the SMART information for? How are YOU
    trying to use that information?

    SMART diagnostics are not limited to Seagate drives, and there are numerous
    freeware, shareware, and commercial applications (try Google again)
    available that read, monitor, and warn of hard drive problems using the
    SMART diagnostic information available from hard drives that have that
    capability.

    --

    Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    Found Images
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke
     
    Max Burke, Mar 30, 2008
    #11
  12. In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    write:

    > I will sate again the Readings that you get are Seagate specific and
    > can't be used with SMART software.


    electro:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    smartctl version 5.37 [i686-suse-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce Allen
    Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

    Device: MAXTOR ATLASU320_36_SCA Version: B120
    Serial number: 344231711983
    Device type: disk
    Transport protocol: Fibre channel (FCP-2)
    Local Time is: Sun Mar 30 16:45:36 2008 NZDT
    Device supports SMART and is Enabled
    Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported

    How much further do you want to take this?
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2008
    #12
  13. On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:25:10 +1300, Thor <> wrote:

    >Brian Mathews wrote:
    >
    >> I will sate again the Readings that you get are Seagate specific and
    >> can't be used with SMART software.
    >>
    >> I do suggest you do some research before you make a utter fool of
    >> yourself..
    >>
    >> I have done that over a few days and that is why I posted the comments
    >> here.

    >
    >
    > From the horses mouth itself, that gave me the biggest laugh I've had for
    >ages. We all know you are a fool Roger but for you to actually admit it was
    >just the icing on the cake.



    No you are the Fool as you have Not posted any thing to disprove my statement
     
    Brian Mathews, Mar 30, 2008
    #13
  14. On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:30:38 +1300, "Max Burke" <> wrote:

    >> Brian Mathews wrote:

    >
    >>> Max Burke wrote:

    >
    >> From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    >> software with Seagate drives.

    >
    >> I WILL STATE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT USE SMART SOFTWARE WITH SEAGATE HARD DRIVES
    >> AS THE READING GEVEN ARE
    >> PROPRIETY..
    >> YOU CAN ONLY USE THE SEATOOLS SOFTWARE.
    >> THE SMART READINGS HAVE NO MEANINGS.

    >
    >>>No need to shout...
    >>>HDD Health v3.2 Build 134 Beta new! (works with the internal Seagate
    >>>drives
    >>>in my computer; Cant read the SMART info over USB for the external Seagate
    >>>drives)
    >>>HDD Health is a full-featured failure-prediction agent for machines using
    >>>Windows 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 and XP. Sitting in the system tray, it
    >>>monitors
    >>>hard disks and alerts you to impending failure. The program uses Self
    >>>Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) built into all new hard
    >>>disks, and can predict failures on your hard drives. A host of alerting
    >>>features include email, local pop-up messages, net messages, and event
    >>>logging, while using no system resources.
    >>>http://www.panterasoft.com/

    >
    >>>What is SpeedFan (works with the internal Seagate drives; Cant read the
    >>>SMART info over USB for the external Seagate drives)
    >>>SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures
    >>>in
    >>>computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T.
    >>>info for those hard disks that support this feature and show hard disk
    >>>temperatures too, if supported. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too.
    >>>http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    >
    >> All SMART software works with Seagate drives as the have SMART built into
    >> them,

    >
    >SO do most other brands of Hard drives.
    >
    >S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology.
    >S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major hard disk drive
    >manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of drives.
    >It is a technology that enables the PC to predict the future failure of hard
    >disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard
    >drive manufacturers.
    >
    >Through the S.M.A.R.T. system, modern hard disk drives incorporate a suite
    >of advanced diagnostics that monitor the internal operations of a drive and
    >provide an early warning for many types of potential problems. When a
    >potential problem is detected, the drive can be repaired or replaced before
    >any data is lost or damaged.
    >http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-technology.html
    >
    >> BUT the readings
    >> cant be used as they are special propriety to Seagate, Please READ what I
    >> posted.

    >
    >To repeat:
    >HDD Health is a full-featured failure-prediction agent for machines using
    >Windows 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 and XP. Sitting in the system tray, it monitors
    >hard disks and alerts you to impending failure.
    >The program uses Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) built
    >into
    >
    >==> ALL NEW HARD DISKS <==,
    >
    >and can predict failures on your hard drives.
    >
    >
    >What EXACTLY are you trying to use the SMART information for? How are YOU
    >trying to use that information?
    >
    >SMART diagnostics are not limited to Seagate drives, and there are numerous
    >freeware, shareware, and commercial applications (try Google again)
    >available that read, monitor, and warn of hard drive problems using the
    >SMART diagnostic information available from hard drives that have that
    >capability.




    Not with Seagate drives go ask them..
     
    Brian Mathews, Mar 30, 2008
    #14
  15. Brian Mathews

    Max Burke Guest

    "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:30:38 +1300, "Max Burke" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Brian Mathews wrote:

    >>
    >>>> Max Burke wrote:

    >>
    >>> From my searches on Google it seems that you can't use ANY SMART Testing
    >>> software with Seagate drives.

    >>
    >>> I WILL STATE AGAIN YOU CAN NOT USE SMART SOFTWARE WITH SEAGATE HARD
    >>> DRIVES
    >>> AS THE READING GEVEN ARE
    >>> PROPRIETY..
    >>> YOU CAN ONLY USE THE SEATOOLS SOFTWARE.
    >>> THE SMART READINGS HAVE NO MEANINGS.

    >>
    >>>>No need to shout...
    >>>>HDD Health v3.2 Build 134 Beta new! (works with the internal Seagate
    >>>>drives
    >>>>in my computer; Cant read the SMART info over USB for the external
    >>>>Seagate
    >>>>drives)
    >>>>HDD Health is a full-featured failure-prediction agent for machines
    >>>>using
    >>>>Windows 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 and XP. Sitting in the system tray, it
    >>>>monitors
    >>>>hard disks and alerts you to impending failure. The program uses Self
    >>>>Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.) built into all new hard
    >>>>disks, and can predict failures on your hard drives. A host of alerting
    >>>>features include email, local pop-up messages, net messages, and event
    >>>>logging, while using no system resources.
    >>>>http://www.panterasoft.com/

    >>
    >>>>What is SpeedFan (works with the internal Seagate drives; Cant read the
    >>>>SMART info over USB for the external Seagate drives)
    >>>>SpeedFan is a program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and
    >>>>temperatures
    >>>>in
    >>>>computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access
    >>>>S.M.A.R.T.
    >>>>info for those hard disks that support this feature and show hard disk
    >>>>temperatures too, if supported. SpeedFan supports SCSI disks too.
    >>>>http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    >>
    >>> All SMART software works with Seagate drives as the have SMART built
    >>> into
    >>> them,

    >>
    >>SO do most other brands of Hard drives.
    >>
    >>S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology.
    >>S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major hard disk drive
    >>manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of drives.
    >>It is a technology that enables the PC to predict the future failure of
    >>hard
    >>disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for
    >>hard
    >>drive manufacturers.
    >>
    >>Through the S.M.A.R.T. system, modern hard disk drives incorporate a suite
    >>of advanced diagnostics that monitor the internal operations of a drive
    >>and
    >>provide an early warning for many types of potential problems. When a
    >>potential problem is detected, the drive can be repaired or replaced
    >>before
    >>any data is lost or damaged.
    >>http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-technology.html
    >>
    >>> BUT the readings
    >>> cant be used as they are special propriety to Seagate, Please READ what
    >>> I
    >>> posted.

    >>
    >>To repeat:
    >>HDD Health is a full-featured failure-prediction agent for machines using
    >>Windows 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000 and XP. Sitting in the system tray, it
    >>monitors
    >>hard disks and alerts you to impending failure.
    >>The program uses Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology (S.M.A.R.T.)
    >>built
    >>into
    >>
    >>==> ALL NEW HARD DISKS <==,
    >>
    >>and can predict failures on your hard drives.
    >>
    >>
    >>What EXACTLY are you trying to use the SMART information for? How are YOU
    >>trying to use that information?
    >>
    >>SMART diagnostics are not limited to Seagate drives, and there are
    >>numerous
    >>freeware, shareware, and commercial applications (try Google again)
    >>available that read, monitor, and warn of hard drive problems using the
    >>SMART diagnostic information available from hard drives that have that
    >>capability.


    > Not with Seagate drives go ask them..


    S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard drive
    manufacturers.
    http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-technology.html

    But Brian/Roger carry on believing whatever it is that you want to
    believe...

    --

    Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    Found Images
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke
     
    Max Burke, Mar 30, 2008
    #15
  16. On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:46:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >write:
    >
    >> I will sate again the Readings that you get are Seagate specific and
    >> can't be used with SMART software.

    >
    >electro:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    >smartctl version 5.37 [i686-suse-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce Allen
    >Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >
    >Device: MAXTOR ATLASU320_36_SCA Version: B120
    >Serial number: 344231711983
    >Device type: disk
    >Transport protocol: Fibre channel (FCP-2)
    >Local Time is: Sun Mar 30 16:45:36 2008 NZDT
    >Device supports SMART and is Enabled
    >Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
    >
    >How much further do you want to take this?




    Yes e-mail Seagate and find out, I have a copy of one here..

    Then may be you will shut up..
     
    Brian Mathews, Mar 30, 2008
    #16
  17. Brian Mathews

    Max Burke Guest

    > Max Burke wrote:

    >> Brian Mathews wrote:


    >SMART diagnostics are not limited to Seagate drives, and there are numerous
    >freeware, shareware, and commercial applications (try Google again)
    >available that read, monitor, and warn of hard drive problems using the
    >SMART diagnostic information available from hard drives that have that
    >capability.


    >> Not with Seagate drives go ask them..


    Yes they do. I have SEVEN Seagate hard drives attached to this computer.
    All seven drives have SMART capability. All programmes I have tried DO read
    the SMART diagnostic information for these drives, and display it, when
    connected to the IDE ports.

    When plugged into a USB port the SMART Diagnostic information is not
    available because the USB controller does not pass the SMART Diagnostic
    information.
    There is software available that will allow SMART diagnostic information to
    be read over USB provided the USB controller allows it.
    Same with hard drives in a RAID array.

    S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard drive
    manufacturers.
    http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-technology.html

    But Brian/Roger carry on believing whatever it is that you want to
    believe...

    --

    Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    Found Images
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke
     
    Max Burke, Mar 30, 2008
    #17
  18. On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:25:10 +1300, Thor <> wrote:

    >Brian Mathews wrote:
    >
    >> I will sate again the Readings that you get are Seagate specific and
    >> can't be used with SMART software.
    >>
    >> I do suggest you do some research before you make a utter fool of
    >> yourself..
    >>
    >> I have done that over a few days and that is why I posted the comments
    >> here.

    >
    >
    > From the horses mouth itself, that gave me the biggest laugh I've had for
    >ages. We all know you are a fool Roger but for you to actually admit it was
    >just the icing on the cake.




    Why attack me when you know nothing about the subject show what sort of Person you are..
     
    Brian Mathews, Mar 30, 2008
    #18
  19. On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 16:46:40 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>, Brian Mathews did
    >write:
    >
    >> I will sate again the Readings that you get are Seagate specific and
    >> can't be used with SMART software.

    >
    >electro:~ # smartctl -i /dev/sda
    >smartctl version 5.37 [i686-suse-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce Allen
    >Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >
    >Device: MAXTOR ATLASU320_36_SCA Version: B120
    >Serial number: 344231711983
    >Device type: disk
    >Transport protocol: Fibre channel (FCP-2)
    >Local Time is: Sun Mar 30 16:45:36 2008 NZDT
    >Device supports SMART and is Enabled
    >Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
    >
    >How much further do you want to take this?




    Have a Read

    Reply from seagate as follows:

    To test your drives use SeaTools Desk Top which is made to test Seagate/ Maxtor drives. The
    attributes that define different specifications are proprietary to Seagate and this is why they
    would be unknown to a third party utility. As long as you have S.M.A.R.T. enabled in your controller
    BIOS there should not be an issue with the drive reporting an issue. There is also the possibility
    that the drive could fail with out posting a S.M.A.R.T error due to a mechanical failure.




    I reast my case..

    am I the only one with any brains here.?
     
    Brian Mathews, Mar 30, 2008
    #19
  20. Brian Mathews

    EMB Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    >
    >
    > Go do some Google searched and come back and apologize..
    >
    >

    **** off Roger. I did the google research before I posted, and it
    confirmed what I already know from real world experience. SMART works
    identically on both Seagate and other drives. Now you apologise you
    arrogant, senile and just plain wrong old fool.

    PS.... note that those who can be bothered replying to you are all of
    the same opinion - it lends a lot of weight to the fact that you are WRONG.
     
    EMB, Mar 30, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. erha
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,114
  2. Tim
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    9,397
  3. Tim
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    698
  4. wjva
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    554
    Bryce
    Aug 20, 2003
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    718
Loading...

Share This Page