Smart package manager for Suse.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by grumpyoldhori, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. grumpyoldhori, Feb 13, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. grumpyoldhori

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:43:01 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    >
    > For you new linux users who are bright enough to be using
    > Suse.
    > Smart package manager takes the banging head on desk when trying
    > to install software away.
    > check it here.
    > http://wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikka.php?wakka=HowtoSmartPackageManager.
    >
    > Oh yes,for you peasants,it works for other distroes.
    > grumpy


    Oh nooo

    Here's another fuckin n00b that wants a distro pissing match

    <yawn>

    Get over it.
     
    shannon, Feb 13, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. shannon wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:43:01 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >> For you new linux users who are bright enough to be using
    >> Suse.
    >> Smart package manager takes the banging head on desk when trying
    >> to install software away.
    >> check it here.
    >>http://wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikka.php?wakka=HowtoSmartPackageManager.
    >> Oh yes,for you peasants,it works for other distroes.
    >> grumpy

    >
    > Oh nooo
    >
    > Here's another fuckin n00b that wants a distro pissing match
    >
    > <yawn>
    >
    > Get over it.


    Wanker.
     
    Mark Robinson, Feb 14, 2006
    #3
  4. shannon wrote:

    >
    > Oh nooo
    >
    > Here's another fuckin n00b that wants a distro pissing match
    >


    heh,like a great white.
    grumpy
     
    grumpyoldhori, Feb 14, 2006
    #4
  5. grumpyoldhori

    ~misfit~ Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:43:01 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> For you new linux users who are bright enough to be using
    >> Suse.
    >> Smart package manager takes the banging head on desk when trying
    >> to install software away.
    >> check it here.
    >> http://wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikka.php?wakka=HowtoSmartPackageManager.
    >>
    >> Oh yes,for you peasants,it works for other distroes.
    >> grumpy

    >
    > Oh nooo
    >
    > Here's another fuckin n00b that wants a distro pissing match
    >
    > <yawn>
    >
    > Get over it.


    You see it that way? I have a friend who has worked with virtually every
    operating system under, and including, the Sun. He had a small farm of
    machines running all sorts of OS's. He has been trying to "convert me to the
    dark side" (his words) for a long time now and has recently told me that he
    now runs Suse exclusively and that it is, without a doubt, the 'best' linux
    distro bar none. (Warning!!! Opinion expressed!! Please gentle people
    remember that you cannot prove someone's opinion to be wrong, you can only
    offer up yours if it differs. Just thought I'd remind you of that). He is so
    convinced that Suse is the shit I got a DL DVD-R in the mail from him
    yesterday with the latest distro on it.

    I'm going to burn ten or so DVD-Rs of DivX / XviD's off my HDD to make room
    and (maybe) try it in a dual-boot configuration. If this guy is this
    enthusiastic about it, with his history in the IT industry and computing in
    general, it's worth taking a look at. *IMO*
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Feb 14, 2006
    #5
  6. grumpyoldhori

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:54:03 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > shannon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:43:01 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> For you new linux users who are bright enough to be using
    >>> Suse.
    >>> Smart package manager takes the banging head on desk when trying
    >>> to install software away.
    >>> check it here.
    >>> http://wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikka.php?wakka=HowtoSmartPackageManager.
    >>>
    >>> Oh yes,for you peasants,it works for other distroes.
    >>> grumpy

    >>
    >> Oh nooo
    >>
    >> Here's another fuckin n00b that wants a distro pissing match
    >>
    >> <yawn>
    >>
    >> Get over it.

    >
    > You see it that way? I have a friend who has worked with virtually every
    > operating system under, and including, the Sun. He had a small farm of
    > machines running all sorts of OS's. He has been trying to "convert me to the
    > dark side" (his words) for a long time now and has recently told me that he
    > now runs Suse exclusively and that it is, without a doubt, the 'best' linux
    > distro bar none. (Warning!!! Opinion expressed!! Please gentle people
    > remember that you cannot prove someone's opinion to be wrong, you can only
    > offer up yours if it differs. Just thought I'd remind you of that). He is so
    > convinced that Suse is the shit I got a DL DVD-R in the mail from him
    > yesterday with the latest distro on it.
    >
    > I'm going to burn ten or so DVD-Rs of DivX / XviD's off my HDD to make room
    > and (maybe) try it in a dual-boot configuration. If this guy is this
    > enthusiastic about it, with his history in the IT industry and computing in
    > general, it's worth taking a look at. *IMO*



    LOL
    Its good to see you actually try one distro.
    You will then be qualified to express an opinion about that one distro.
    You still won't be qualified to express an opinion about any other distros
    and the many and varied reasons that people prefer them.

    You still won't be qualified to call the users of other distributions
    "PEASANTS" !!!! however enthusiastic you feel about your shiny new toy.

    At the moment I am using Ubuntu because it is 100% free of dependency on
    any corporate.
    I've never had to bang my head on the desk installing anything on it.
    The package manager it uses by default is superb.
     
    shannon, Feb 14, 2006
    #6
  7. grumpyoldhori

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:20:49 +1300, shannon wrote:

    > The package manager it uses by default is superb.


    This is an area in which Ms Penguin has seen great strides. The package
    managers of Linux distros have improved in recent times.

    So if SUSE has just got a better on, good. People will be noticing and
    cranking up an improvement in their distro. And so the system evolves to
    yet a higher level.
     
    Gordon, Feb 14, 2006
    #7
  8. grumpyoldhori

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:21:35 +1300, Mark Robinson wrote:

    > shannon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:43:01 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >>> For you new linux users who are bright enough to be using
    >>> Suse.
    >>> Smart package manager takes the banging head on desk when trying
    >>> to install software away.
    >>> check it here.
    >>>http://wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikka.php?wakka=HowtoSmartPackageManager.
    >>> Oh yes,for you peasants,it works for other distroes.
    >>> grumpy

    >>
    >> Oh nooo
    >>
    >> Here's another fuckin n00b that wants a distro pissing match
    >>
    >> <yawn>
    >>
    >> Get over it.

    >
    > Wanker.


    You or him?
     
    Gordon, Feb 14, 2006
    #8
  9. grumpyoldhori

    Dave Taylor Guest

    grumpyoldhori <> wrote in news:pV7If.146216
    $:

    >
    > For you new linux users who are bright enough to be using
    > Suse.
    > Smart package manager takes the banging head on desk when trying
    > to install software away.
    > check it here.
    > http://wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikka.php?wakka=HowtoSmartPackageManager.
    >
    > Oh yes,for you peasants,it works for other distroes.
    > grumpy
    >
    >
    >
    >


    Thanks for the tip.


    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Feb 14, 2006
    #9
  10. Hi there,

    shannon wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:43:01 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> For you new linux users who are bright enough to be using
    >> Suse.
    >> Smart package manager takes the banging head on desk when trying
    >> to install software away.
    >> check it here.
    >>http://wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikka.php?wakka=HowtoSmartPackageManager.
    >>
    >> Oh yes,for you peasants,it works for other distroes.
    >> grumpy

    >
    >
    > Oh nooo
    >
    > Here's another fuckin n00b that wants a distro pissing match
    >
    > <yawn>
    >
    > Get over it.


    Gee, take offence to innocuous little comments much?

    Anyway, cheers hori for the link...might give it a crack since
    I find building RPM's from source a tad involving...if that can
    be done with scripts it will make the process of creating RPM's
    to include into urpmi/YaST much easier...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 14, 2006
    #10
  11. Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    >
    > Gee, take offence to innocuous little comments much?
    >
    > Anyway, cheers hori for the link...might give it a crack since
    > I find building RPM's from source a tad involving...if that can
    > be done with scripts it will make the process of creating RPM's
    > to include into urpmi/YaST much easier...


    Got my Mplayer going with it.
    grumpy
     
    grumpyoldhori, Feb 14, 2006
    #11
  12. grumpyoldhori

    shannon Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > shannon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:43:01 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>
    >>> For you new linux users who are bright enough to be using Suse.
    >>> Smart package manager takes the banging head on desk when trying
    >>> to install software away.
    >>> check it here.
    >>> http://wiki.suselinuxsupport.de/wikka.php?wakka=HowtoSmartPackageManager.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Oh yes,for you peasants,it works for other distroes.
    >>> grumpy

    >>
    >>
    >> Oh nooo
    >>
    >> Here's another fuckin n00b that wants a distro pissing match
    >>
    >> <yawn>
    >>
    >> Get over it.

    >
    > Gee, take offence to innocuous little comments much?
    >
    > Anyway, cheers hori for the link...might give it a crack since
    > I find building RPM's from source a tad involving...if that can
    > be done with scripts it will make the process of creating RPM's
    > to include into urpmi/YaST much easier...
    >

    Tongue in cheek just like grumps peasants comment, this is usenet ;-)
     
    shannon, Feb 14, 2006
    #12
  13. grumpyoldhori

    shannon Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:20:49 +1300, shannon wrote:
    >
    >> The package manager it uses by default is superb.

    >
    > This is an area in which Ms Penguin has seen great strides. The package
    > managers of Linux distros have improved in recent times.
    >
    > So if SUSE has just got a better on, good. People will be noticing and
    > cranking up an improvement in their distro. And so the system evolves to
    > yet a higher level.
    >


    Its available as a deb package for APT in the Ubuntu and Debian
    repositories.
    Thats the point of FOSS software, if it is any good someone packages the
    binary for your distro of choice.
    Its an option, but may have less advantages for APT users than rpm
    distro users.
     
    shannon, Feb 14, 2006
    #13
  14. Hi there,

    shannon wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> shannon wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here's another fuckin n00b that wants a distro pissing match

    >>
    >> Gee, take offence to innocuous little comments much?

    > Tongue in cheek just like grumps peasants comment, this is usenet ;-)


    Quite true, but you did forget the obligatory smily in your reply
    to grumpy...makes it hard to tell sometimes if someone is being
    cheeky or serious without that happy little clue. :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u
     
    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 14, 2006
    #14
  15. Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    >
    > Quite true, but you did forget the obligatory smily in your reply
    > to grumpy...makes it hard to tell sometimes if someone is being
    > cheeky or serious without that happy little clue. :)
    >
    >


    So did I
    grumpy
     
    grumpyoldhori, Feb 15, 2006
    #15
  16. grumpyoldhori

    shannon Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:11:52 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:

    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Quite true, but you did forget the obligatory smily in your reply
    >> to grumpy...makes it hard to tell sometimes if someone is being
    >> cheeky or serious without that happy little clue. :)
    >>
    >>

    >
    > So did I
    > grumpy


    Don't let these PC nannies make you do it.
    Obligatory smiley indeed !
    Next they will be complaining about the c word !
     
    shannon, Feb 15, 2006
    #16
  17. grumpyoldhori

    Shane Guest

    On 2006-02-15, shannon <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:11:52 +1300, grumpyoldhori wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> Quite true, but you did forget the obligatory smily in your reply
    >>> to grumpy...makes it hard to tell sometimes if someone is being
    >>> cheeky or serious without that happy little clue. :)
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> So did I
    >> grumpy

    >
    > Don't let these PC nannies make you do it.
    > Obligatory smiley indeed !
    > Next they will be complaining about the c word !
    >


    colostomy!
     
    Shane, Feb 15, 2006
    #17
  18. grumpyoldhori

    Robert Cooze Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:20:49 +1300, shannon wrote:
    >>
    >>> The package manager it uses by default is superb.

    >>
    >> This is an area in which Ms Penguin has seen great strides. The package
    >> managers of Linux distros have improved in recent times.
    >> So if SUSE has just got a better on, good. People will be noticing and
    >> cranking up an improvement in their distro. And so the system evolves to
    >> yet a higher level.
    >>

    >
    > Its available as a deb package for APT in the Ubuntu and Debian
    > repositories.
    > Thats the point of FOSS software, if it is any good someone packages the
    > binary for your distro of choice.
    > Its an option, but may have less advantages for APT users than rpm
    > distro users.

    Then I must be the mad bugger of A B***h most distros I have tried
    sooner or later I end up compiling stuff. It seems all the real cool
    stuff seems to be in REAL SOURCE.

    --
    http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

    / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
     
    Robert Cooze, Feb 15, 2006
    #18
  19. grumpyoldhori

    shannon Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:08:18 +1300, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > shannon wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:20:49 +1300, shannon wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> The package manager it uses by default is superb.
    >>>
    >>> This is an area in which Ms Penguin has seen great strides. The package
    >>> managers of Linux distros have improved in recent times.
    >>> So if SUSE has just got a better on, good. People will be noticing and
    >>> cranking up an improvement in their distro. And so the system evolves to
    >>> yet a higher level.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Its available as a deb package for APT in the Ubuntu and Debian
    >> repositories.
    >> Thats the point of FOSS software, if it is any good someone packages the
    >> binary for your distro of choice.
    >> Its an option, but may have less advantages for APT users than rpm
    >> distro users.

    > Then I must be the mad bugger of A B***h most distros I have tried
    > sooner or later I end up compiling stuff. It seems all the real cool
    > stuff seems to be in REAL SOURCE.



    Then there is nothing to stop you or anyone else packaging the binary for
    the distribution of your choice, because you have access to the source.
    Otherwise this package manager ain't gonna be much use.
    You can compile it, you can package it, you can change it.
    Debian maintains 15490 packages, lots of cool stuff.
     
    shannon, Feb 15, 2006
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. erha
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,141
  2. zll9527
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,222
    Clark_Harris
    Feb 26, 2004
  3. wjva
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    575
    Bryce
    Aug 20, 2003
  4. Giuen
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,236
    Giuen
    Sep 12, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Why You Need a Package Manager

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    310
    oneofus
    Mar 31, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page