    really like to know, since this is what I use.

    Thanks,
    Scott

    None, Jun 8, 2005

  2. None

    Stacey Guest

    None wrote:

    > I have notices that prices on Smart Media Cards are way more than the
    > prices of just any other media (at least at Wal-Mart) - can anyone
    > shed some light onto why the smart media is so much more - I would
    > really like to know, since this is what I use.

    Economy of scale, also might be harder to make since it is so thin? I've
    stuck with CF based cameras for this reason.
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Jun 8, 2005

  3. None <> writes:

    > I have notices that prices on Smart Media Cards are way more than the
    > prices of just any other media (at least at Wal-Mart) - can anyone
    > shed some light onto why the smart media is so much more - I would
    > really like to know, since this is what I use.

    It's obsolete. The companies who used to make it are still serving
    the very small existing market, but the prices have to be higher to
    justify their effort on the small volume.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 8, 2005
  4. None

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Stacey wrote:
    > None wrote:
    >

    >>I have notices that prices on Smart Media Cards are way more than the
    >>prices of just any other media (at least at Wal-Mart) - can anyone
    >>shed some light onto why the smart media is so much more - I would
    >>really like to know, since this is what I use.
    >>

    > Economy of scale, also might be harder to make since it is so thin? I've
    > stuck with CF based cameras for this reason.

    Smartmedia is dead, mainly because it wasn't 'smart', didn't have an
    onboard controller, and was limited to smaller capacities. The cards
    were too thin for use in rough conditions, and the contacts were
    unprotected, and subject to bad contact. If you have a camera that uses
    them, it is time to upgrade.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jun 8, 2005
  5. None

    Paul Furman Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Smartmedia is dead, mainly because it wasn't 'smart',
    > didn't have an onboard controller

    True and funny that Compact Flash isn't compact <g>.

    I think SM are expensive because they are dead. I've got a camera that
    uses them... have to be careful to keep the gold surface clean.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, Jun 8, 2005
  6. None

    Craig Flory Guest

    I would never want a camera that uses them because they are so small. I
    prefer compact flash because it is a decent size and much less easily lost
    than smaller cards. It's sort of the same reason I cringe when I hear ads
    for digital cameras as being smaller and lighter. For stability and sharper
    images I want bigger and heavier cameras.
    Craig Flory

    Craig Flory, Jun 8, 2005
  7. None

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Craig Flory" <> wrote in message
    >I would never want a camera that uses them because they are so small. I
    > prefer compact flash because it is a decent size and much less easily lost
    > than smaller cards. It's sort of the same reason I cringe when I hear ads
    > for digital cameras as being smaller and lighter. For stability and
    > sharper
    > images I want bigger and heavier cameras.
    > Craig Flory

    ?? Smart media was just as big, but not as thick as CF. Are you thinking of
    MMC, SD or the tiny xD?

    I like the size of CF for my SLR, but the xD is great for my compact.
    John

    JohnR66, Jun 8, 2005