    disks?
    Thanks in advance.

    , Oct 26, 2007

  2. why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:25:02 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi, I have to make a RAID1 with 2 SATA hard disk.
    >My questions is about SMART bios option.
    >Is it better to enable or not? What happen with the performance of

    Up to you.

    Why do you think it would have performance issues?

    Any monitoring utility will of course be reading from the disk /
    controller the status info.

    Some reading,
    http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-technology.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis,_and_Reporting_Technology
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Active-SMART.shtml
    http://www.techarp.com/showfreebog.aspx?lang=0&bogno=95
    http://www.soyousa.com/kb/kbdesc.php?id=80

    >disks?
    >Thanks in advance.

    Me

    why?, Oct 26, 2007

  3. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have to make a RAID1 with 2 SATA hard disk.
    > My questions is about SMART bios option.
    > Is it better to enable or not? What happen with the performance of
    > disks?
    > Thanks in advance.

    I highly advise enabling SMART

    If there is a problem...the SMART warning will usually give you sufficient
    pre-warning
    in order to back up your data.

    If you do receive a SMART error...back up your data at once!

    philo, Oct 26, 2007
  4. old man Guest

    Of course that assumes that Smart is available for your raid hd's very often
    it isnt, no matter what the bios says

    old man, Oct 27, 2007
  5. NotMe Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    | <> wrote in message
    | > Hi, I have to make a RAID1 with 2 SATA hard disk.
    | > My questions is about SMART bios option.
    | > Is it better to enable or not? What happen with the performance of
    | > disks?
    | > Thanks in advance.
    | >

    | I highly advise enabling SMART
    |
    | If there is a problem...the SMART warning will usually give you sufficient
    | pre-warning
    | in order to back up your data.
    |
    | If you do receive a SMART error...back up your data at once!

    A wise user backs up data periodically. HDD failure and data loss is only a
    matter of when not if.

    NotMe, Oct 27, 2007
  6. NotMe wrote:

    > A wise user backs up data periodically. HDD failure and data loss is only a
    > matter of when not if.

    I think I ran into a wise user one time. Okay, what you say is true, but
    it doesn't address the issue at hand.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 27, 2007