    tia
    _____
    Slack

    Slack, Oct 29, 2005

  2. Slack

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Slack wrote:
    > What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
    >
    > I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring
    > one 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it :)
    >
    > tia
    > _____
    > Slack

    That depends on one's individual ability to read it, now doesn't it? I can
    read most anything with my magnifying glasses on. Without them, letters need
    to be 3/8" high <g>

    You're just gonna have to try for yourself. Many programs don't offer fonts
    smaller than 8 points in the pull-down list, but you can often type in a
    number like 4, 5 or 6 even though they're not in the list.

    like an idiot.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 29, 2005

  3. Slack

    EricP Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 17:26:56 -0700, Slack <> wrote:

    >What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
    >
    >I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring one
    >3"x5" index card with anything we want on it :)
    >
    >tia
    >_____
    >Slack

    If your eyes are young and perfect probably a 6 point, or 8 point.

    You can get an 8 from wordpad. Anything less and you will probably
    need a WP program like Word.

    EricP, Oct 29, 2005
  4. Slack

    Slack Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >>What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
    >>
    >>I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring
    >>one 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it :)
    >>
    >>tia
    >>_____
    >>Slack

    > That depends on one's individual ability to read it, now doesn't it? I can
    > read most anything with my magnifying glasses on. Without them, letters need
    > to be 3/8" high <g>
    >
    > You're just gonna have to try for yourself. Many programs don't offer fonts
    > smaller than 8 points in the pull-down list, but you can often type in a
    > number like 4, 5 or 6 even though they're not in the list.

    Well fortunately, my eyes are still good, it's everything else that is
    sagging, spreading and bulging, in all the wrong areas <g>
    ___________
    Saggy Slack

    Slack, Oct 29, 2005
  5. Slack

    Mike Easter Guest

    Slack wrote:
    > What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
    >
    > I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring
    > one 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it :)

    Go back! It's a trap!

    If you had unlimited time, you could create a gigantic 'map' of the
    entire content of the course. Then, you could carefully distill all of
    the information contained in that map into ever smaller and smaller
    formats, while learning or remembering the 'excised' material by the
    dint of your organizational processes.

    Then, when you had all of the content of the course written in ordinary
    'longhand' on a chart you have carefully devised which might be
    approximately a 7 feet x 20 feet wall, you could 'compress' that
    longhand writing into a tiny print readable by a high quality dissecting
    microscope [dissecting microscopes don't transmit the light through the
    specimen] and if you could print on a card with a sufficiently high
    resolution laser printer, you could encompass a huge amount of
    organizational and didactic material on a 3 inch by 5 inch card.

    That whole process, in and of itself, would cause you to have learned a
    great deal about the course.

    But between now and tomorrow, you should forget about the card and focus
    on the normal cramming.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 29, 2005
  6. Slack

    Slack Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >>What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
    >>
    >>I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring
    >>one 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it :)

    > Go back! It's a trap!
    >
    > But between now and tomorrow, you should forget about the card and focus
    > on the normal cramming.

    Trust me, I'm cramming and ramming, which is why I took the day off from
    work. You're correct about the learning more by just creating the
    card(s)... I've actually found them to be a great study tool.

    Btw, the card isn't just for me. I have a friend in the class and she
    can use the help, too. Besides, she's cute :) And so is her sister, who
    is also in the same class :) :)
    _____
    Slack

    Slack, Oct 29, 2005
  7. Slack

    Mike Easter Guest

    Slack wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Go back! It's a trap!
    >>
    >> But between now and tomorrow, you should forget about the card and
    >> focus on the normal cramming.
    >>

    > Trust me, I'm cramming and ramming, which is why I took the day off
    > from work. You're correct about the learning more by just creating the
    > card(s)... I've actually found them to be a great study tool.
    >
    > Btw, the card isn't just for me. I have a friend in the class and she
    > can use the help, too. Besides, she's cute :) And so is her sister,
    > who is also in the same class :) :)

    Watch out for the other trap.... the tender trap.

    You will be 'expected' to devise a useful cribbing 'tool' or method to
    save the poor damsel or damsel-sib in distress.

    The prof who is clever enough to devise the card trap and teaching aid
    will surely catch any cheaters. He's way ahead of most of his students.

    Both the good-lookers and their 'clever' stooges.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 29, 2005
  8. Slack

    Slack Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >>Mike Easter wrote:

    >>>Go back! It's a trap!
    >>>
    >>>But between now and tomorrow, you should forget about the card and
    >>>focus on the normal cramming.
    >>>

    >>Trust me, I'm cramming and ramming, which is why I took the day off
    >>from work. You're correct about the learning more by just creating the
    >>card(s)... I've actually found them to be a great study tool.
    >>
    >>Btw, the card isn't just for me. I have a friend in the class and she
    >>can use the help, too. Besides, she's cute :) And so is her sister,
    >>who is also in the same class :) :)

    > Watch out for the other trap.... the tender trap.
    >
    > You will be 'expected' to devise a useful cribbing 'tool' or method to
    > save the poor damsel or damsel-sib in distress.
    >
    > The prof who is clever enough to devise the card trap and teaching aid
    > will surely catch any cheaters. He's way ahead of most of his students.
    >
    > Both the good-lookers and their 'clever' stooges.

    You're a wise man, as is my prof.
    _____
    Slack - still cramming

    Slack, Oct 29, 2005
  9. "Slack" on 10/28/2005 in
    <> after much thought,came up with
    this jewel:

    > What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
    >
    > I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring
    > one 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it :)
    >
    > tia
    > _____
    > Slack

    can you read this? 6pt

    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

    What's in a Name?, Oct 29, 2005
  10. Blinky the Shark, Oct 29, 2005
  11. Slack

    BeeVee Guest

    X-No-Archive:Yes
    .--. .-. --- -... .- -... .-..-.-- - .... .. ...

    http://www.babbage.demon.co.uk/morseabc.html

    BeeVee, Oct 29, 2005
  12. "Slack" <> wrote in message
    > What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
    >
    > I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring one
    > 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it :)
    >
    > tia
    > _____
    > Slack

    You'd be better served putting your time in to what to put on the card
    rather than worrying about the font size. That's why your professor told you
    you could bring the card-- to force you to focus on the key points of the
    course.

    But what can you expect from a guy named Slacker ;-)

    Patrick Cleburne, Oct 29, 2005
  13. Slack wrote:
    > What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
    >
    > I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring one
    > 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it :)
    >
    > tia
    > _____
    > Slack

    Not that this will help you now, I'm sure your test is over. But I got
    curious and printed out a test message on my HP1012 laser in both Arial
    and Times Roman.

    10 Pts easy to read.

    8 Pts easy to read.

    6 Pts readable but starting to get difficult (my eyes have a few years
    on them)

    4 Pts still readable, more squinting needed

    2 Pts looks like a small worm took a dump, but was still clearly
    readable with a good magnifying glass.

    1 Pt - what, you think I'm crazy? Didn't even try printing it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 29, 2005
  14. Slack

    Slack Guest

    Patrick Cleburne wrote:
    > "Slack" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
    >>
    >>I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring one
    >>3"x5" index card with anything we want on it :)
    >>
    >>tia
    >>_____
    >>Slack

    > You'd be better served putting your time in to what to put on the card
    > rather than worrying about the font size. That's why your professor told you
    > you could bring the card-- to force you to focus on the key points of the
    > course.

    Yep, agreed... already done. I really like these cards and think I just
    found a new study method for myself.

    > But what can you expect from a guy named Slacker ;-)

    Exactly!

    Slack, Oct 29, 2005
  15. Slack

    Slack Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > Slack wrote:
    >
    >> What's the smallest, yet still legible with the naked eye, font?
    >>
    >> I have a Poly Sci test tomorrow and our prof is allowing us to bring
    >> one 3"x5" index card with anything we want on it :)
    >>
    >> tia
    >> _____
    >> Slack

    > Not that this will help you now, I'm sure your test is over. But I got
    > curious and printed out a test message on my HP1012 laser in both Arial
    > and Times Roman.
    >
    > 10 Pts easy to read.
    >
    > 8 Pts easy to read.
    >
    > 6 Pts readable but starting to get difficult (my eyes have a few years
    > on them)
    >
    > 4 Pts still readable, more squinting needed
    >
    > 2 Pts looks like a small worm took a dump, but was still clearly
    > readable with a good magnifying glass.
    >
    > 1 Pt - what, you think I'm crazy? Didn't even try printing it.

    Thanks for trying anyway... appreciated.

    I found the Centaur 8 pt was the best compromise between smallness and
    legibility.

    So anyway, I walk in with my little laser printed 3x5. Sit down and
    start the test. Out of the 66 questions, I think I used my card to
    confirm only 3 or 4 of the questions. I thunk I actually learned
    something in the process of making the card ;-P

    I should have an easy B, poss A in the class.
    _____
    Slack

    Slack, Oct 29, 2005
  16. Slack

    Al Guest

    I guess it depends on your eyesight.....

    Al, Nov 5, 2005
  17. Slack

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Al wrote:
    > I guess it depends on your eyesight.....

    Living in the past, eh, Al?

    Why respond to a post about a test 7 days AFTER the aforementioned test?

    Toolman Tim, Nov 5, 2005
  18. Slack

    rjk

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Technical Answer

    Mike Easter, above, wins the thread. He's obviously smart, if a little less than bold on this one (I say do it and make them give you a receipt---and yes I know this event was far in the past. How did it work out for you?).

    The smallest font on a 3x5 depends on two things:
    1) Getting a vector font format
    2) Printing using a very high resolution printer.

    Step 1 is easy with modern computers. Any decent Times New Roman font will be understood by the computer as a geometry of curves of enclosed shapes, NOT as a grid of pixels. Imagine the difference between using Photoshop to "enlarge" a digital photo (which adds no new information, only makes it appear bigger on a display) versus setting up the shot again and taking a picture with closer lenses (which does add information). Bottom-line: this one is probably not a problem.

    Step 2 is the hard part. I would probably go to a professional print shop (even Kinkos would work) and ask them what their highest resolution printer is, and do a test print, then do the real one.

    Also, you could easily make 4 fit on one page: 3"x5" times 2 = 6x10, which is plenty of room for margins and cutting tolerance on a standard 8.5"x11". Don't forget the reverse side of the card!.

    Much love in Christ.
    - Ryan King

    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    rjk, Jan 20, 2011