    What would you recommend for me?

    TIA,

    -Jorge

    Jorge, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Jorge

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Jorge wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm in the market for a new 4MP camera, want something small like the
    > Digital Elph line, but I really like to play with RAW files too. Image
    > quality is also a concern.
    > What would you recommend for me?

    None of the Elphs do RAW... Size wise.. The S45 and S50 are the
    smallest Canon cameras I know of that shoot raw.. Oddly, the newer
    S410 and S500 don't store in RAW..

    Jim Townsend, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Jorge

    denomolos Guest

    "Jorge" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm in the market for a new 4MP camera, want something small like the
    > Digital Elph line, but I really like to play with RAW files too. Image
    > quality is also a concern.
    > What would you recommend for me?

    Minolta Dimage Xt is a tiny camera that does RAW files, but it's only 3 mp.

    denomolos, Apr 14, 2004
  4. Jorge

    Jim Spen Guest

    "denomolos" <> wrote in message
    > "Jorge" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I'm in the market for a new 4MP camera, want something small like the
    > > Digital Elph line, but I really like to play with RAW files too. Image
    > > quality is also a concern.
    > > What would you recommend for me?
    > >

    > Minolta Dimage Xt is a tiny camera that does RAW files, but it's only 3

    mp.

    May I recommend the Fuji F700, shoots true RAW files, not tiff as the Dimage
    Xt does.
    A little larger than the Elph Xt but the 1.17 sensor and true raw images at
    a size smaller
    and lighter than the excellent Canon S45 is well worth it IMHO. I had the
    Xt and the
    Xi and the Xg and sold them all because they take good images but are rather
    dull compared
    to the larger sensor cameras like the Canon S45/50 and the Fuji. The old
    trade off, small
    size but some compromise on photo quality. The Elph line and Minolta xt
    also lack any manual
    controls over shutter, aperture, sharpness, contrast, a big limitation also.
    The Elph line as least
    has a vivid mode but no other real manual control over shutter other than
    slow for night photography. (F700 has Shutter, aperture and manual mode
    along with scene modes)

    Plus you can grab it now for around $315, check it out! Good Luck in your
    quest for a small RAW
    camera! Unless tiny size is imperative, I would consider the Fuji F700 or
    Canon S45/50 as better alternatives having owned all of the discussed
    cameras. The Fuji F710 is supposed to be out soon but only for UK at this
    point from what I have read, if you are there then great! Good Luck!

    Jim

    Jim Spen, Apr 15, 2004
  5. Jorge

    denomolos Guest

    "Jim Spen" <> wrote in message

    > I had the Xt and the Xi and the Xg and sold them all because they take
    > good images but are rather dull compared
    > to the larger sensor cameras like the Canon S45/50 and the Fuji. The old
    > trade off, small size but some compromise on photo quality.

    Just curious, if you weren't happy with the Dimage X series cameras, why
    did you buy three different generations of them?

    denomolos, Apr 16, 2004
  6. Jorge

    Jim Spen Guest

    "denomolos" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim Spen" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I had the Xt and the Xi and the Xg and sold them all because they take
    > > good images but are rather dull compared
    > > to the larger sensor cameras like the Canon S45/50 and the Fuji. The

    old
    > > trade off, small size but some compromise on photo quality.

    > Just curious, if you weren't happy with the Dimage X series cameras, why
    > did you buy three different generations of them?

    I was hoping they would get better... Each model hype and owner reviews
    who must never own anything else to compare it too and rave about it,
    influenced my decision. I like the size but not the tradeoff on camera
    shutter/contrast options and photo quality... Its good for what it is but
    I did
    not seem much improvement between models, on Ebay they went...

    Hope that answers your question.... Regards, Jim

    Jim Spen, Apr 16, 2004