    true representation.
    I heard a rumour that a chip can be purchased, to increase the size of
    the viewfinder. If that is so, can you give me any details.

    geez, Jun 8, 2006

  2. geez

    Jim Guest

    "geez" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have recently purchased a Canon Eos 350D. When I look through my old
    > Eos 650 film camera, with a 18mm lens I can see a vast amount.
    > Comparing this to my 18mm on the Eos 350D the viewfinder doesn't show a
    > true representation.
    > I heard a rumour that a chip can be purchased, to increase the size of
    > the viewfinder. If that is so, can you give me any details.

    An 18mm lens when use with film is a very wide angle beast. The same lens
    when used with a digital camera. with a sensor that does not capture a full
    35mm frame, is not nearly as wide.

    So, when looking through the viewfinder, what you see is close to what you
    get for either case. As at that point, you are not using the sensor, no
    chip can change the situation.
    Jim

    Jim, Jun 8, 2006

  3. geez wrote:
    > I have recently purchased a Canon Eos 350D. When I look through my old
    > Eos 650 film camera, with a 18mm lens I can see a vast amount.
    > Comparing this to my 18mm on the Eos 350D the viewfinder doesn't show
    > a true representation.
    > I heard a rumour that a chip can be purchased, to increase the size of
    > the viewfinder. If that is so, can you give me any details.

    It is not a small viewfinder issue. It is showing what it sees.

    The 350D does not have a full size sensor. Which means your 18mm lens
    is not the equivalent of about 28mm. A 100mm lens will be about equivalent
    to a 160mm.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 8, 2006
  4. On 8 Jun 2006 11:03:15 -0700, geez <> wrote:
    > I have recently purchased a Canon Eos 350D. When I look through my old
    > Eos 650 film camera, with a 18mm lens I can see a vast amount.
    > Comparing this to my 18mm on the Eos 350D the viewfinder doesn't show a
    > true representation.

    No, the viewfinder is showing an accurate representation of what the
    sensor sees. The issue is that the 350D has a sensor that is smaller
    than a standard 35mm film frame, giving you a cropped version of what a
    film camera would see with the same lens.

    There's a scale factor, based on the size of a sensor, that can be used
    to give you an idea of what you're going to see. For the 350, that
    factor is 1.5; multiply the focal length of your lens by 1.5 to get the
    "35mm-equivalent focal length". Your 18mm lens will have the sort of
    field of view that a 27mm lens would have on your old film camera.

    > I heard a rumour that a chip can be purchased, to increase the size of
    > the viewfinder. If that is so, can you give me any details.

    You'd have to replace the sensor chip with one that's the same size as a
    film frame. Currently, the only way to do this is to replace the entire
    camera. The cheapest new-model Canon with a full-frame sensor is the 5D,
    which costs several times as much as the 350.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jun 8, 2006
  5. geez

    geez Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > On 8 Jun 2006 11:03:15 -0700, geez <> wrote:
    > > I have recently purchased a Canon Eos 350D. When I look through my old
    > > Eos 650 film camera, with a 18mm lens I can see a vast amount.
    > > Comparing this to my 18mm on the Eos 350D the viewfinder doesn't show a
    > > true representation.

    > No, the viewfinder is showing an accurate representation of what the
    > sensor sees. The issue is that the 350D has a sensor that is smaller
    > than a standard 35mm film frame, giving you a cropped version of what a
    > film camera would see with the same lens.
    >
    > There's a scale factor, based on the size of a sensor, that can be used
    > to give you an idea of what you're going to see. For the 350, that
    > factor is 1.5; multiply the focal length of your lens by 1.5 to get the
    > "35mm-equivalent focal length". Your 18mm lens will have the sort of
    > field of view that a 27mm lens would have on your old film camera.
    >
    > > I heard a rumour that a chip can be purchased, to increase the size of
    > > the viewfinder. If that is so, can you give me any details.

    > You'd have to replace the sensor chip with one that's the same size as a
    > film frame. Currently, the only way to do this is to replace the entire
    > camera. The cheapest new-model Canon with a full-frame sensor is the 5D,
    > which costs several times as much as the 350.
    >
    > -dms

    Daniel, Thank you very much for answering my question, your answer was
    very informative and put my mind to rest on the matter. I can't justify
    paying a £1000 for a camera just yet. If in doubt I'll shoot film.

    geez, Jun 8, 2006