    good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.

    But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    box which will still need replacing soon.
    Sir To You, Jan 15, 2009

  2. Sir To You

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 15, 1:41 pm, Sir To You <> wrote:
    > A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
    > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp).  This pc is
    > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.
    >
    > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
    > I just could not believe it when they told me.
    >
    > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
    > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
    > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.
    >
    > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    > box which will still need replacing soon.

    There are laws against this sort of thing.

    Who did it?
    JohnO, Jan 15, 2009

  3. Sir To You

    Richard Guest

    Sir To You wrote:
    > A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
    > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). This pc is
    > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.
    >
    > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
    > I just could not believe it when they told me.
    >
    > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
    > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
    > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.
    >
    > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    > box which will still need replacing soon.

    Go on, tell us the FULL story..
    Richard, Jan 15, 2009
  4. Sir To You

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Sir To You" <> wrote in message
    >A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
    > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). This pc is
    > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.
    >
    > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
    > I just could not believe it when they told me.
    >
    > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
    > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
    > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.
    >
    > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    > box which will still need replacing soon.

    An outfit like that does themselves no favours at all.
    I'd be naming the bastards. That's what I did with a Dunedin outfit that
    charged plenty for a so called repair on an old HP PC belonging to somome I
    know. The PC was just useless when she got it back. The oufit went out of
    business not long after.

    The bastards who ripped your relative off should've given a rough price for
    fixing the old PC, and what it would be worth in working order (which would
    be stuff all). Then offer the price of a new budget PC which wouldn't be
    far off the price of fixing the old PC.

    The other option would be to get a similar PC that works for a good cheap
    deal.

    If you were dealing with an Insurance company on your damaged car. They'd
    tell you it's a write off as it would cost more to fix than it's worth.
    Respectable PC repairers should be doing much the same.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Jan 15, 2009
  5. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    > Go on, tell us the FULL story..

    That is difficult cos the wife dealt with the pc repair guy, and I
    only got this from the husband. They live in a different island to me,
    otherwise I would have happily helped them out.

    The facts I know..the initial repair estimate was $200, the final bill
    was over $900 and the PC was taken away on at least 2 occasions, and
    it is still not working very well for them.

    I just couldn't believe it though, they paid $900 to fix a $100 PC.
    Why didn't the pc guy just tell the wife to get a new machine????
    Sir To You, Jan 15, 2009
  6. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Jan 15, 4:14 pm, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (sling replaces
    *)> wrote:
    > "Sir To You" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > >A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
    > > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp).  This pc is
    > > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.

    > > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
    > > I just could not believe it when they told me.

    > > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
    > > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
    > > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.

    > > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    > > box which will still need replacing soon.

    > An outfit like that does themselves no favours at all.
    > I'd be naming the bastards.  That's what I did with a Dunedin outfit that
    > charged plenty for a so called repair on an old HP PC belonging to somome I
    > know.  The PC was just useless when she got it back.  The oufit went out of
    > business not long after.
    >
    > The bastards who ripped your relative off should've given a rough price for
    > fixing the old PC, and what it would be worth in working order (which would
    > be stuff all).  Then offer the price of a new budget PC which wouldn't be
    > far off the price of fixing the old PC.
    >
    > The other option would be to get a similar PC that works for a good cheap
    > deal.
    >
    > If you were dealing with an Insurance company on your damaged car.  They'd
    > tell you it's a write off as it would cost more to fix than it's worth.
    > Respectable PC repairers should be doing much the same.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I dunno who repaired the pc, they are in the christchurch area though.
    Sir To You, Jan 15, 2009
  7. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Jan 15, 5:34 pm, Allistar <> wrote:
    > Sir To You wrote:
    > > A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
    > > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp).  This pc is
    > > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.

    > > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
    > > I just could not believe it when they told me.

    > > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
    > > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
    > > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.

    > > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    > > box which will still need replacing soon.

    > Name them so we know who to avoid and who to *not* recommend.
    > --
    > A.

    Not sure who made the repairs, don't really know what they did
    either. It is possible they did work a lot of hours trying to fix
    this.

    Maybe initially they thought it was a quick job? then , it became
    larger and cost a lot of hours work. I could see how this could happen
    but at some point he should have said --BUY A NEW PC...
    Sir To You, Jan 15, 2009
  8. Sir To You

    Sir To You Guest

    On Jan 15, 6:58 pm, Bobs <> wrote:
    > Sir To You wrote:
    > > A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
    > > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp).  This pc is
    > > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.

    > > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
    > > I just could not believe it when they told me.

    > > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
    > > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
    > > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.

    > > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    > > box which will still need replacing soon.

    > Did they ask for a quote first?
    >
    > Anyway, what was the company? It may be legal, but it is unethical.
    >
    > --
    > What do Michael Jackson and Santa Claus have in common?
    >
    > They both leave little boys' rooms with an empty sack

    they got told $200 to fix....but, then the pc was still not working
    and they took it away again and even now it is still not right
    according to the husband.

    I told him just to buy a new pc and spend no more on their aging hunk
    of a pc.
    Sir To You, Jan 15, 2009
  9. Sir To You

    Richard Guest

    Sir To You wrote:
    >> Go on, tell us the FULL story..

    > That is difficult cos the wife dealt with the pc repair guy, and I
    > only got this from the husband. They live in a different island to me,
    > otherwise I would have happily helped them out.
    >
    > The facts I know..the initial repair estimate was $200, the final bill
    > was over $900 and the PC was taken away on at least 2 occasions, and
    > it is still not working very well for them.
    >
    > I just couldn't believe it though, they paid $900 to fix a $100 PC.
    > Why didn't the pc guy just tell the wife to get a new machine????

    A friend who repaired TVs said that people would bring in old junk and
    want it repaired, and when he told them its not worth it (21" CRT TV -
    come on...) they got all defensive because they paid so much more for it
    when it was new.

    Some people are ignorant to what things being worthless means.
    Richard, Jan 15, 2009
  10. On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:41:23 -0800 (PST), Sir To You wrote:

    > A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
    > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). This pc is
    > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.
    >
    > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
    > I just could not believe it when they told me.
    >
    > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
    > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
    > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.
    >
    > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    > box which will still need replacing soon.

    Let us know what the repairs where what exactly does the bill say they did?
    Robin Halligan, Jan 15, 2009
  11. Sir To You

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 15, 3:32 pm, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >  JohnO <> wrote:
    > > On Jan 15, 1:41 pm, Sir To You <> wrote:
    > > > A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
    > > > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp).  This pc is
    > > > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.

    > > > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour..
    > > > I just could not believe it when they told me.

    > > > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
    > > > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
    > > > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.

    > > > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    > > > box which will still need replacing soon.

    > > There are laws against this sort of thing.

    > > Who did it?

    > No there isn't.
    > If they went in and said "fix this" rather than "give us an estimate"
    > then they have a bill to pay.

    A good or service provided has to be fit and suitable for it's
    intended purpose. This was clearly incompetent work and a refund can
    be requested.
    JohnO, Jan 15, 2009
  12. Sir To You

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Bret" typed:
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:38:37 +1300, whoisthis wrote:
    >
    >> In article <tnczxw3ip4kz$>,
    >> Bret <> wrote:

    >>> Surely they are required to be competent in their repairs.
    >>> It would be difficult for them to prove that they are competent in
    >>> view of the $900.00 bill.

    >> Not at all. If they were asked to FIX it, and they did indeed fix it
    >> and can show the hours are justified for what they were asked to do
    >> then they are indeed entitled to be paid. Unless you KNOW what was
    >> asked to be done and what was needed to be done to fulfill that
    >> request you have no basis to question the competency.

    > $900.00 = not competent.

    Agreed. I don't do it for a living but I could have fixed absolutely
    anything and everything that was wrong with that machine for $300 tops.
    That's replacing the whole machine (possibly with something better) and my
    time to migrate data. However, if it was bad I would have suggested a
    replacement at stage one. For most intents and purposes it was at EOL
    anyway.

    There are couple small outfits in Pukekohe that I go into now and then for a
    laugh. Their charge-out rates are crazy *and* they charge double Ascent's
    prices for parts. One place has a few second-hand machine in it's premises
    with price tags double+ Trademe prices. I pity anyone who uses either of
    them.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2009
  13. Sir To You

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 16, 8:36 am, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >  JohnO <> wrote:
    > > On Jan 15, 3:32 pm, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <>,

    > > > No there isn't.
    > > > If they went in and said "fix this" rather than "give us an estimate"
    > > > then they have a bill to pay.

    > > A good or service provided has to be fit  and suitable for it's
    > > intended purpose. This was clearly incompetent work and a refund can
    > > be requested.

    > You KNOW what was asked for ?
    > you KNOW what was wrong ?
    >
    > The fact that it is expensive does not make it incompetent.- Hide quoted text -

    Obviously. However to make a $900 dollar repair to a $100 pc is
    incompetent. Add to that, there was an estimate in the $200 range.
    That's two reasons to take them to the cleaners.
    JohnO, Jan 15, 2009
  14. Sir To You

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 16, 11:04 am, Bret <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:38:37 +1300, whoisthis wrote:
    > > In article <tnczxw3ip4kz$>,
    > >  Bret <> wrote:

    > >> Surely they are required to be competent in their repairs.
    > >> It would be difficult for them to prove that they are competent in view of
    > >> the $900.00 bill.

    > > Not at all. If they were asked to FIX it, and they did indeed fix it and
    > > can show the hours are justified for what they were asked to do then
    > > they are indeed entitled to be paid. Unless you KNOW what was asked to
    > > be done and what was needed to be done to fulfill that request you have
    > > no basis to question the competency.

    > $900.00 = not competent.- Hide quoted text -

    Exactly. There's no way it costs $900 to fix a PC if you know WTF you
    are doing.
    JohnO, Jan 15, 2009
  15. Sir To You

    Logo Guest

    On Jan 16, 11:23 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Bret" typed:
    >

    > > On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:38:37 +1300, whoisthis wrote:

    > >> Not at all. If they were asked to FIX it, and they did indeed fix it
    > >> and can show the hours are justified for what they were asked to do
    > >> then they are indeed entitled to be paid. Unless you KNOW what was
    > >> asked to be done and what was needed to be done to fulfill that
    > >> request you have no basis to question the competency.

    > > $900.00 = not competent.

    > Agreed. I don't do it for a living but I could have fixed absolutely
    > anything and everything that was wrong with that machine for $300 tops.
    > That's replacing the whole machine (possibly with something better) and my
    > time to migrate data. However, if it was bad I would have suggested a
    > replacement at stage one. For most intents and purposes it was at EOL
    > anyway.

    If the hard drive had crashed and the drive needed to be sent to a
    specialist data recovery firm then I doubt you would get much change
    from $300

    At which point you'll have to ask yourself, "how much is my data
    worth?" or "why didn't I backup my photos?"
    Logo, Jan 16, 2009
  16. Sir To You

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Logo" typed:
    > On Jan 16, 11:23 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs "Bret" typed:
    >>> $900.00 = not competent.

    >> Agreed. I don't do it for a living but I could have fixed absolutely
    >> anything and everything that was wrong with that machine for $300
    >> tops. That's replacing the whole machine (possibly with something
    >> better) and my time to migrate data. However, if it was bad I would
    >> have suggested a replacement at stage one. For most intents and
    >> purposes it was at EOL anyway.

    > If the hard drive had crashed and the drive needed to be sent to a
    > specialist data recovery firm then I doubt you would get much change
    > from $300

    I agree. However, that wasn't the case, or if it was, we're not in possesion
    of all the facts.

    > At which point you'll have to ask yourself, "how much is my data
    > worth?" or "why didn't I backup my photos?"

    Yeah. However, once again, this hasn't been mentioned. Read the original
    posts. I think most people in this group are well aware that data recovery
    and PC repair are two rather different beasts.
    --
    Shaun.
    ~misfit~, Jan 16, 2009
  17. Sir To You

    JohnO Guest

    On Jan 16, 5:38 pm, Collector€NZ <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > On Jan 16, 8:36 am, whoisthis <> wrote:
    > >> In article
    > >> <>,

    > >> You KNOW what was asked for ?
    > >> you KNOW what was wrong ?

    > >> The fact that it is expensive does not make it incompetent.- Hide quoted text -

    > > Obviously. However to make a $900 dollar repair to a $100 pc is
    > > incompetent. Add to that, there was an estimate in the $200 range.
    > > That's two reasons to take them to the cleaners.

    > No it is not incompetent it is sharp practice

    If by 'sharp' you mean 'crooked' then I agree.

    > , and I seem to have missed
    > where the OP quoted a $200 estimate having been provided

    Look harder.
    JohnO, Jan 16, 2009
  18. Sir To You

    PeeCee Guest

    "Sir To You" <> wrote in message
    >A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
    > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). This pc is
    > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.
    >
    > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
    > I just could not believe it when they told me.
    >
    > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
    > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
    > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.
    >
    > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    > box which will still need replacing soon.

    Have you managed to see the bill yet and find out just what was done?

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jan 17, 2009
  19. Sir To You

    Richard Guest

    PeeCee wrote:

    > Have you managed to see the bill yet and find out just what was done?

    I suspect not since I think its just a wind up.
    Richard, Jan 18, 2009
  20. Sir To You <> wrote:

    > A somewhat computer illiterate relative just had their 5 year old dell
    > PC repaired (celeron, 20 gig hdd , 512mb mem, windows xp). This pc is
    > not worth much, they would be lucky to get $100 really.
    >
    > The repair bill came to over $900!! Probably it was mostly for labour.
    > I just could not believe it when they told me.
    >
    > I recently spent $800 on an upgrade box (45nm cpu, 1gig mem, 320gb
    > hdd) which kicks arse. You just have to make sure the components are
    > good quality which is probably where some amateurs would have probs.
    >
    > But, for a $900 repair bill they are still stuck with a huffing old
    > box which will still need replacing soon.

    Wow were they shafted. But it's absolutely a case of buyer beware. It's
    not _that_ hard to ask for at least a rough quote beforehand and then
    compare that price against repairs elsewhere or a new PC.

    Why do people go to mad lengths traveling all the way over town to get
    mere cents off grocery items, yet do zero research for computer
    repair/replacement/new purchases?
    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 18, 2009