small lock/security box ideas?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Brian, Jun 14, 2007.

  1. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm looking for a small lock box or security box to keep a few small things
    safe and out of sight in the house from prying room mates and visitors.

    I don't want an actual safe, that's overkill and I have no where to put it.
    I checked out officemax/depot/staples etc. websites, and they do offer some
    small security boxes for about $50-$60, but the problem with those are they
    are key'd, and I would like a combination lock.

    I don't need to keep professional thiefs from picking in the box or people
    walking away with it, just something to keep some stuff private and out of
    sight, while providing enough of a deterrant that it can not be peeked in to
    by casual means such as prying around the sides to look in, removing
    hinges...

    If you know of any type of item that might be what I'm describing, please
    post!

    Thanks
    Brian, Jun 14, 2007

  2. Brian

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-14, Brian <> wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm looking for a small lock box or security box to keep a few small things
    > safe and out of sight in the house from prying room mates and visitors.
    >
    > I don't want an actual safe, that's overkill and I have no where to put it.
    > I checked out officemax/depot/staples etc. websites, and they do offer some
    > small security boxes for about $50-$60, but the problem with those are they
    > are key'd, and I would like a combination lock.
    >
    > I don't need to keep professional thiefs from picking in the box or people
    > walking away with it, just something to keep some stuff private and out of
    > sight, while providing enough of a deterrant that it can not be peeked in to
    > by casual means such as prying around the sides to look in, removing
    > hinges...
    >
    > If you know of any type of item that might be what I'm describing, please
    > post!
    >
    > Thanks

    There are "deed boxes" that require a small padlock or seal-tag rather
    than having a built-in lock; you could probably find a small combination
    padlock to use with one of those. (See item EA014 at
    <http://www.electionequipment.com/products-accessories.htm> for example).

    Brief-cases and suit-cases often have built-in combination locks.

    Here in the UK, Helix supply a cash-box with a combination lock; search for
    Helix C600

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 14, 2007

  3. Brian

    Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm looking for a small lock box or security box to keep a few small things
    >safe and out of sight in the house from prying room mates and visitors.
    >
    >I don't want an actual safe, that's overkill and I have no where to put it.
    >I checked out officemax/depot/staples etc. websites, and they do offer some
    >small security boxes for about $50-$60, but the problem with those are they
    >are key'd, and I would like a combination lock.
    >
    >I don't need to keep professional thiefs from picking in the box or people
    >walking away with it, just something to keep some stuff private and out of
    >sight, while providing enough of a deterrant that it can not be peeked in to
    >by casual means such as prying around the sides to look in, removing
    >hinges...
    >
    >If you know of any type of item that might be what I'm describing, please
    >post!

    There are boxes made that have a secret or trick lock; not an obvious
    way of entry. Downside is most I've seen are fairly small.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puzzle_box
    http://www.pentangle-puzzles.co.uk/acatalog/Trick_Locks_and_Secret_Boxes.html
    Shortest http://tinyurl.com/29ast4

    --

    Caught by the camera...
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=52qjv51
  4. Brian

    OldPhart Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    | Hi all,
    |
    | I'm looking for a small lock box or security box to keep a few small
    things
    | safe and out of sight in the house from prying room mates and
    visitors.

    | I don't want an actual safe, that's overkill and I have no where to
    put it.
    | I checked out officemax/depot/staples etc. websites, and they do offer
    some
    | small security boxes for about $50-$60, but the problem with those are
    they
    | are key'd, and I would like a combination lock.
    |
    | I don't need to keep professional thiefs from picking in the box or
    people
    | walking away with it, just something to keep some stuff private and
    out of
    | sight, while providing enough of a deterrant that it can not be peeked
    in to
    | by casual means such as prying around the sides to look in, removing
    | hinges...
    |
    | If you know of any type of item that might be what I'm describing,
    please
    | post!
    |
    | Thanks

    Some of the fire resistant security boxes have the round type key. They
    are very difficult to pick compared to the suitcase type locks.

    --
    OldPhart

    OldPhart, Jun 14, 2007
  5. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Have you heard about the very popular picking of those barrel style locks a
    few summers ago?

    Someone posted online about picking them with a simple ball point pen. You
    jam the empty pen body in the lock, hit it on the ground a couple times and
    turn the lock open. This is why the laser cut locks came out. I've tried it
    myself on my motorcycle lock two years ago and it worked like a charm :)

    Brian, Jun 15, 2007
  6. Brian

    OldPhart Guest

    | > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    | > | Hi all,
    | > |
    | > | I'm looking for a small lock box or security box to keep a few
    small
    | > things
    | > | safe and out of sight in the house from prying room mates and
    | > visitors.
    | > |
    | > | I don't want an actual safe, that's overkill and I have no where
    | > put it.
    | > | I checked out officemax/depot/staples etc. websites, and they do
    offer
    | > some
    | > | small security boxes for about $50-$60, but the problem with those
    are
    | > they
    | > | are key'd, and I would like a combination lock.
    | > |
    | > | I don't need to keep professional thiefs from picking in the box
    or
    | > people
    | > | walking away with it, just something to keep some stuff private
    and
    | > out of
    | > | sight, while providing enough of a deterrant that it can not be
    peeked
    | > in to
    | > | by casual means such as prying around the sides to look in,
    removing
    | > | hinges...
    | > |
    | > | If you know of any type of item that might be what I'm describing,
    | > please
    | > | post!
    | > |
    | > | Thanks
    | > |
    | > |

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    | Have you heard about the very popular picking of those barrel style
    locks a
    | few summers ago?
    |
    | Someone posted online about picking them with a simple ball point pen.
    You
    | jam the empty pen body in the lock, hit it on the ground a couple
    times and
    | turn the lock open. This is why the laser cut locks came out. I've
    tried it
    | myself on my motorcycle lock two years ago and it worked like a charm
    :)

    I hadn't heard that one. I did hear about bump keys being used for entry
    into homes and businesses that do not use the round security key.

    --
    OldPhart

    OldPhart, Jun 15, 2007