    does jumbo frames?

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 25, 2009

  2. thingy

    EMB Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am doing iSCSI at home (Vmware's ESXi), need a small 5 (or 8 port)
    > silent switch that can do jumbo frames....my Cicos SD2008 does
    > not....so I (will) need a second switch...when I get a second host.
    >
    > Anybody come across one that is genuinely high speed (backplane) and
    > does jumbo frames?

    I've got a couple of Netgear GS108's doing jumbo frames in the
    application you mention. If cost is an issue the smaller GS105 also
    supports 9K frames and has a 10Gbps backplane. From memory they are
    around $200.

    Otherwise cheap and cheerful - supports to 9K jumbo frames
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=SWH3CM0005

    EMB, Dec 26, 2009

  3. thingy

    EMB Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > I've got a couple of Netgear GS108's doing jumbo frames in the
    > application you mention. If cost is an issue the smaller GS105 also
    > supports 9K frames and has a 10Gbps backplane. From memory they are
    > around $200.
    >
    > Otherwise cheap and cheerful - supports to 9K jumbo frames
    > http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=SWH3CM0005

    Or an SMC (Ugh!!) SMCGS8 will do 9K frames and is only around $100.

    EMB, Dec 26, 2009
  4. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Dec 26, 1:58 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >
    > > I've got a couple of Netgear GS108's doing jumbo frames in the
    > > application you mention.  If cost is an issue the smaller GS105 also
    > > supports 9K frames and has a 10Gbps backplane.  From memory they are
    > > around $200.

    > > Otherwise cheap and cheerful - supports to 9K jumbo frames
    > >http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=SWH3CM0005

    > Or an SMC (Ugh!!) SMCGS8 will do 9K frames and is only around $100.

    SMC kit used to be pretty reasonable...3com modems not bad, my courier
    has only just been decommed when my dad got broadband last month!

    Im digging for reviews at present...most seem to be adds really, cnet
    is a joke...the SD2008 does fine for the front end (Internet, office
    work, cifs/NFS etc) but I will need an iSCSI backend shortly when I
    get a second ESXi node....the SMC is cheap, $73! and I need at most 5
    ports....2 (at most) for the iSCSI server and at most 3 x hosts..will
    dig on the netgear 5 port...

    Thanks,

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 26, 2009
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Dec 26, 2:20 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > On Dec 26, 1:58 pm, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    > > EMB wrote:

    > > > I've got a couple of Netgear GS108's doing jumbo frames in the
    > > > application you mention.  If cost is an issue the smaller GS105 also
    > > > supports 9K frames and has a 10Gbps backplane.  From memory they are
    > > > around $200.

    > > > Otherwise cheap and cheerful - supports to 9K jumbo frames
    > > >http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=SWH3CM0005

    > > Or an SMC (Ugh!!) SMCGS8 will do 9K frames and is only around $100.

    > SMC kit used to be pretty reasonable...3com modems not bad, my courier
    > has only just been decommed when my dad got broadband last month!
    >
    > Im digging for reviews at present...most seem to be adds really, cnet
    > is a joke...the SD2008 does fine for the front end (Internet, office
    > work, cifs/NFS etc) but I will need an iSCSI backend shortly when I
    > get a second ESXi node....the SMC is cheap, $73! and I need at most 5
    > ports....2 (at most) for the iSCSI server and at most 3 x hosts..will
    > dig on the netgear 5 port...
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Oops forgot vMotion (if I go to 3 hosts), so 8 port....there seems to
    be some comments that the netgear 8 port does jumbo but the 5 does
    not....but this could be a serial number/firmware thing...later ones
    seem to....grrr.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 26, 2009