    52*83*20
    Is there anything similar/better that I should be looking at?

    Many thanks

    ChrisDoc, Sep 21, 2004

  2. ChrisDoc

    Tony Morgan Guest

    In message <cipcgl$atn$>, ChrisDoc
    <365.co.uk> writes
    >I'm after a very small digital camera, it must be at least 3MP and have
    >3x Optical Zoom. I'm interested in the Pentax Optio S4i which has
    >dimensions around 52*83*20 Is there anything similar/better that I
    >should be looking at?

    Sony F88. I've had mine for nearly two months and I'm extremely pleased
    with it. A review can be found here:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F88/F88A.HTM

    I'd suggest you jump to the Conclusion at the very end of the page, and
    then resume at the beginning and work your way through.
    --
    Tony Morgan
    http://www.camcord.info

    Tony Morgan, Sep 21, 2004

  3. ChrisDoc

    Nostrobino Guest

    "ChrisDoc" <365.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm after a very small digital camera, it must be at least 3MP and
    > have 3x Optical Zoom.
    > I'm interested in the Pentax Optio S4i which has dimensions around
    > 52*83*20
    > Is there anything similar/better that I should be looking at?

    Yep. The Minolta DiMAGE Xg. It's 3.2Mp, has a 3x optical zoom (135
    equivalent 37-111mm), is 85.5x67x20mm and weighs 120g. That's a little more
    in height than the Pentax Optio S4i, but its "folded" zoom lens never
    extends from the body so it stays just as flat when turned on, which of
    course the Pentax does not. There are similar X series models from Minolta
    ranging from 2Mp to 5Mp, but the Xg is my favorite. I have one (as well as
    the Xt which preceded it) and I love it.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Sep 21, 2004
  4. ChrisDoc

    HRosita Guest

    HRosita, Sep 21, 2004
  5. ChrisDoc

    Frank ess Guest

    Nostrobino wrote:
    > "ChrisDoc" <365.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> I'm after a very small digital camera, it must be at least 3MP and
    >> have 3x Optical Zoom.
    >> I'm interested in the Pentax Optio S4i which has dimensions around
    >> 52*83*20
    >> Is there anything similar/better that I should be looking at?

    > Yep. The Minolta DiMAGE Xg. It's 3.2Mp, has a 3x optical zoom (135
    > equivalent 37-111mm), is 85.5x67x20mm and weighs 120g. That's a
    > little more in height than the Pentax Optio S4i, but its "folded"
    > zoom lens never extends from the body so it stays just as flat when
    > turned on, which of course the Pentax does not. There are similar X
    > series models from Minolta ranging from 2Mp to 5Mp, but the Xg is my
    > favorite. I have one (as well as the Xt which preceded it) and I love
    > it.
    >
    > N.

    I have a lot of photo equipmnet, but this Xt is the one that gets the
    most
    use, day in and day out.

    Views of the Xt and its
    predecessor, and some example photos:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/BC32073BD1DA91E
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/B51CA34810BA0D1
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/D1400EF27A5935D

    First attempt at sharing video from Xt (it's about 3MB; make sure your
    sound
    is on; Fototime converts the original MOV file to Windows video, the
    orig is
    still available if you want it; some browsers want you to download, MSIE
    opens the WinPlayer and awaaaay you go):
    http://www.fototime.com/ADEA7BDBA90A1D8/conv.wmv

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Sep 21, 2004
  6. ChrisDoc

    andre Guest

    ChrisDoc wrote:
    > I'm after a very small digital camera, it must be at least 3MP and
    > have 3x Optical Zoom.
    > I'm interested in the Pentax Optio S4i which has dimensions around
    > 52*83*20
    > Is there anything similar/better that I should be looking at?
    >
    > Many thanks

    Stay away from the Optio. I had it for a short time. It is very hard to
    hold that camera steady. After one week the lens would not close anymore.
    Although the Casio Exilim ZX-40 (or ZX-30) is almost as small and uses
    the same lens i found it to be easier to handle and more reliable.

    Andre

    --
    ----------------------------------
    http://www.aguntherphotography.com

    andre, Sep 25, 2004
  7. << I'm after a very small digital camera, it must be at least 3MP and
    have 3x Optical Zoom.
    I'm interested in the Pentax Optio S4i which has dimensions around
    52*83*20 >>

    Chris-

    I bought the Optio S when it first came out. Later I had a problem and sent it
    for repair. In the mean time I looked for a replacement that did not have such
    a long delay between pressing the button and the exposure being made.

    The camera I liked the best was the Canon S-500, except it had an unbearably
    long delay. I ended up with the Optio S4i, which had the shortest delay of all
    that I tried.

    After purchasing it I found that the S4i's LCD display freezes for an instant
    between pressing the button and the exposure being made, so you don't see the
    subject move just before the moment of exposure. I get around that by using
    the optical finder. Even with the faster speed, I find myself pre-focusing.
    Once that is done, the exposure is almost instantaneous when pressing the
    button the rest of the way.

    I cannot recommend the S4i because of its image quality. The lens seems sharp
    enough, but there is a problem with glare, as if there was a thin coating of
    oil on the internal lens surfaces. Back-lighted subjects or images containing
    bright items , seem to have a fog-like appearance. (I only exaggerate a
    little!)

    If you can adapt to prefocusing, you may find the Canon S-500 acceptable. It
    is reported to produce very good images. However, you may also benefit by
    waiting for the new crop of cameras that should appear between now and
    christmas. A small Canon camera with more megapixels and faster exposure,
    might be worth the wait.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Sep 26, 2004