    shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed spinning, so is it possible that
    this could eventually happen to my DVD? Do DVD players spin at high speeds
    like CD-ROM drives?

    dvd_newbie, Jul 5, 2005

  2. dvd_newbie

    Impmon Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:25:47 -0400, dvd_newbie wrote:

    >I noticed that one of my DVDs has a small crack in it on the middle clear
    >part. It goes from the edge and extends inward about 2 millimeters. I'm
    >wondering if it will get larger as time goes on? I've heard about CDs
    >shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed spinning, so is it possible that
    >this could eventually happen to my DVD? Do DVD players spin at high speeds
    >like CD-ROM drives?

    It could eventually shatter. Even when DVD plays at 1x, the disc
    spins much faster than CD at 1x. If the disc is still within the
    store's return or warranty, have the disc exchanged at once.

    If not returnable, I'd keep an eye on that disc and consider ripping
    it and making backup copies just to use while keeping the cracked disc
    uncer lock and key. Or safer yet buy a new one and get rid of the
    cracked disc.

    Impmon, Jul 5, 2005

  3. dvd_newbie wrote:
    > I noticed that one of my DVDs has a small crack in it on the middle clear
    > part. It goes from the edge and extends inward about 2 millimeters. I'm
    > wondering if it will get larger as time goes on? I've heard about CDs
    > shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed spinning, so is it possible that
    > this could eventually happen to my DVD? Do DVD players spin at high speeds
    > like CD-ROM drives?

    In a word yes. My son managed to completely snap a Toy Story 2 DVD in
    half, by removing it from it's case without pressing the little insert,
    but no it won't shatter in your player. it doesn't spin *that* fast in
    a domestic player.

    Doc

    Dr Hfuhruhurr, Jul 5, 2005
  4. dvd_newbie

    Howard Guest

    "Dr Hfuhruhurr" <> wrote in

    > In a word yes. My son managed to completely snap a Toy Story 2 DVD in
    > half, by removing it from it's case without pressing the little insert,
    > but no it won't shatter in your player. it doesn't spin *that* fast in
    > a domestic player.

    You should watch Mythbusters more often. While showing that the average
    CDROM drive wasn't going to spin fast enough to shatter an intact CD, a crack
    completely changes the equation.

    . Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.

    Howard, Jul 5, 2005
  5. dvd_newbie

    Alpha Guest

    <dvd_newbie> wrote in message
    >I noticed that one of my DVDs has a small crack in it on the middle clear
    > part. It goes from the edge and extends inward about 2 millimeters. I'm
    > wondering if it will get larger as time goes on? I've heard about CDs
    > shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed spinning, so is it possible
    > that
    > this could eventually happen to my DVD? Do DVD players spin at high
    > speeds
    > like CD-ROM drives?

    I had a DVD like this and it got worse. Rather than take a chance with my
    expensive DVD player, I bought a new disc.

    Alpha, Jul 5, 2005
  6. dvd_newbie

    FAQmeister Guest

    <dvd_newbie> wrote in message
    > I noticed that one of my DVDs has a small crack in it on the middle
    > clear part. It goes from the edge and extends inward about 2
    > millimeters. I'm wondering if it will get larger as time goes on?
    > I've heard about CDs shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed
    > spinning, so is it possible that this could eventually happen to my
    > DVD? Do DVD players spin at high speeds like CD-ROM drives?

    Copy it now while you still can.
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    FAQmeister, Jul 5, 2005
  7. dvd_newbie

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:25:47 -0400, dvd_newbie put finger to keyboard
    and composed:

    >I noticed that one of my DVDs has a small crack in it on the middle clear
    >part. It goes from the edge and extends inward about 2 millimeters. I'm
    >wondering if it will get larger as time goes on? I've heard about CDs
    >shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed spinning, so is it possible that
    >this could eventually happen to my DVD? Do DVD players spin at high speeds
    >like CD-ROM drives?

    Prevent the crack from propagating by drilling a hole (say 1-2mm dia)
    through its endpoint(s). Drill an opposing hole to balance the disc as
    best you can. Then burn a copy of the disc.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Jul 6, 2005
  8. dvd_newbie

    dvd_newbie Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:02:17 +1000, Franc Zabkar <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:25:47 -0400, dvd_newbie put finger to keyboard
    >and composed:
    >
    >>I noticed that one of my DVDs has a small crack in it on the middle clear
    >>part. It goes from the edge and extends inward about 2 millimeters. I'm
    >>wondering if it will get larger as time goes on? I've heard about CDs
    >>shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed spinning, so is it possible that
    >>this could eventually happen to my DVD? Do DVD players spin at high speeds
    >>like CD-ROM drives?

    >Prevent the crack from propagating by drilling a hole (say 1-2mm dia)
    >through its endpoint(s). Drill an opposing hole to balance the disc as
    >best you can. Then burn a copy of the disc.

    I took a look at the crack again. The crack is only on the top layer of
    plastic. It's not on the bottom layer. Hopefully the disc will be OK.

    dvd_newbie, Jul 6, 2005
  9. dvd_newbie

    Alpha Guest

    <dvd_newbie> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:02:17 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:25:47 -0400, dvd_newbie put finger to keyboard
    >>and composed:
    >>
    >>>I noticed that one of my DVDs has a small crack in it on the middle clear
    >>>part. It goes from the edge and extends inward about 2 millimeters. I'm
    >>>wondering if it will get larger as time goes on? I've heard about CDs
    >>>shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed spinning, so is it possible
    >>>that
    >>>this could eventually happen to my DVD? Do DVD players spin at high
    >>>speeds
    >>>like CD-ROM drives?

    >>Prevent the crack from propagating by drilling a hole (say 1-2mm dia)
    >>through its endpoint(s). Drill an opposing hole to balance the disc as
    >>best you can. Then burn a copy of the disc.

    > I took a look at the crack again. The crack is only on the top layer of
    > plastic. It's not on the bottom layer. Hopefully the disc will be OK.

    Then you have a very unique DVD. There are no layers at the hub of DVD...it
    is a single polycarbonate structure.

    Alpha, Jul 6, 2005
  10. dvd_newbie

    dvd_newbie Guest

    On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 00:39:24 -0700, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    ><dvd_newbie> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 17:02:17 +1000, Franc Zabkar
    >> <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:25:47 -0400, dvd_newbie put finger to keyboard
    >>>and composed:

    >>>Prevent the crack from propagating by drilling a hole (say 1-2mm dia)
    >>>through its endpoint(s). Drill an opposing hole to balance the disc as
    >>>best you can. Then burn a copy of the disc.

    >> I took a look at the crack again. The crack is only on the top layer of
    >> plastic. It's not on the bottom layer. Hopefully the disc will be OK.
    >>

    >Then you have a very unique DVD. There are no layers at the hub of DVD...it
    >is a single polycarbonate structure.

    I very much doubt that. On some DVDs, I have noticed a "bubble" in the center
    clear part. It's like a pocket of air caused by not enough glue to completely
    hold the two pieces together.

    dvd_newbie, Jul 6, 2005
  11. dvd_newbie

    Jordan Guest

    As long as the crack is only in the clear part you could seal it with a
    drop (only a drop!) of super-glue. This should keep it from getting
    worse. You should still consider replacing it though.

    Jordan, Jul 6, 2005
  12. dvd_newbie

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Franc Zabkar wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:25:47 -0400, dvd_newbie put finger to keyboard
    > and composed:
    >

    >>I noticed that one of my DVDs has a small crack in it on the middle clear
    >>part. It goes from the edge and extends inward about 2 millimeters. I'm
    >>wondering if it will get larger as time goes on? I've heard about CDs
    >>shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed spinning, so is it possible that
    >>this could eventually happen to my DVD? Do DVD players spin at high speeds
    >>like CD-ROM drives?

    > Prevent the crack from propagating by drilling a hole (say 1-2mm dia)
    > through its endpoint(s). Drill an opposing hole to balance the disc as
    > best you can. Then burn a copy of the disc.

    That's a mechanically sound method, but for some reason I'm still
    looking for a smiley somewhere ...

    Rick Merrill, Jul 6, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    Rick Merrill <> wrote:
    >Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:25:47 -0400, dvd_newbie put finger to keyboard
    >> and composed:
    >>

    >>>I noticed that one of my DVDs has a small crack in it on the middle clear
    >>>part. It goes from the edge and extends inward about 2 millimeters. I'm
    >>>wondering if it will get larger as time goes on? I've heard about CDs
    >>>shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed spinning, so is it possible that
    >>>this could eventually happen to my DVD? Do DVD players spin at high speeds
    >>>like CD-ROM drives?

    >> Prevent the crack from propagating by drilling a hole (say 1-2mm dia)
    >> through its endpoint(s). Drill an opposing hole to balance the disc as
    >> best you can. Then burn a copy of the disc.

    >That's a mechanically sound method, but for some reason I'm still
    >looking for a smiley somewhere ...

    I recall reading/hearing about this wrt glass (esp cracked windshields),
    to prevent them from cracking further and completely spidering. Of course,
    I never did that when my windshield got hit by a stone a few years ago...
    would have been a good test.

    The comment above about balancing the DVD/CD would be important if
    attempted on a disc.

    PS.

    Peter Schepers, Jul 6, 2005
  14. dvd_newbie

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:52:56 -0400, Rick Merrill <>
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:25:47 -0400, dvd_newbie put finger to keyboard
    >> and composed:
    >>

    >>>I noticed that one of my DVDs has a small crack in it on the middle clear
    >>>part. It goes from the edge and extends inward about 2 millimeters. I'm
    >>>wondering if it will get larger as time goes on? I've heard about CDs
    >>>shattering in CD-ROM drives due to high speed spinning, so is it possible that
    >>>this could eventually happen to my DVD? Do DVD players spin at high speeds
    >>>like CD-ROM drives?

    >> Prevent the crack from propagating by drilling a hole (say 1-2mm dia)
    >> through its endpoint(s). Drill an opposing hole to balance the disc as
    >> best you can. Then burn a copy of the disc.

    >That's a mechanically sound method, but for some reason I'm still
    >looking for a smiley somewhere ...

    No joke, this technique is used to "repair" cracks in PCBs. It
    relieves the stress at the endpoints. I've repaired quite a few
    dropped TVs this way.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Jul 6, 2005
  15. dvd_newbie

    Impmon Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:08:38 -0400, dvd_newbie wrote:

    >>Then you have a very unique DVD. There are no layers at the hub of DVD...it
    >>is a single polycarbonate structure.

    >I very much doubt that. On some DVDs, I have noticed a "bubble" in the center
    >clear part. It's like a pocket of air caused by not enough glue to completely
    >hold the two pieces together.

    Same here. If it looks like single layer, then it was well done with
    no bubble trapped.

    Impmon, Jul 7, 2005
  16. dvd_newbie

    Alpha Guest

    "Impmon" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:08:38 -0400, dvd_newbie wrote:
    >
    >>>Then you have a very unique DVD. There are no layers at the hub of
    >>>DVD...it
    >>>is a single polycarbonate structure.

    >>I very much doubt that. On some DVDs, I have noticed a "bubble" in the
    >>center
    >>clear part. It's like a pocket of air caused by not enough glue to
    >>completely
    >>hold the two pieces together.

    > Same here. If it looks like single layer, then it was well done with
    > no bubble trapped.
    > --
    > When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
    > too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
    > To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net

    Look carefully. The area that connects to the drive is thinner than the
    next area.

    Alpha, Jul 7, 2005
  17. dvd_newbie

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:52:56 -0400, Rick Merrill <>
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >

    >>Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 09:25:47 -0400, dvd_newbie put finger to keyboard
    >>>and composed:

    >>>Prevent the crack from propagating by drilling a hole (say 1-2mm dia)
    >>>through its endpoint(s). Drill an opposing hole to balance the disc as
    >>>best you can. Then burn a copy of the disc.

    >>That's a mechanically sound method, but for some reason I'm still
    >>looking for a smiley somewhere ...

    > No joke, this technique is used to "repair" cracks in PCBs. It
    > relieves the stress at the endpoints. I've repaired quite a few
    > dropped TVs this way.
    >

    > - Franc Zabkar

    Ayup, but on a DVD the hole takes away a bunch of data!

    Rick Merrill, Jul 7, 2005
  18. dvd_newbie

    Howard Guest

    Rick Merrill <> wrote in

    > Ayup, but on a DVD the hole takes away a bunch of data!

    From the 'middle clear part'? What kind of data does it take away from that
    area?

    . Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.

    Howard, Jul 7, 2005
  19. dvd_newbie

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Howard wrote:
    > Rick Merrill <> wrote in
    >

    >>Ayup, but on a DVD the hole takes away a bunch of data!

    > From the 'middle clear part'? What kind of data does it take away from that
    > area?

    Ok, I missed that bit.

    Rick Merrill, Jul 7, 2005
  20. dvd_newbie

    Impmon Guest

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 07:45:45 -0400, Rick Merrill <>
    wrote:

    >> No joke, this technique is used to "repair" cracks in PCBs. It
    >> relieves the stress at the endpoints. I've repaired quite a few
    >> dropped TVs this way.
    >>

    >> - Franc Zabkar

    >Ayup, but on a DVD the hole takes away a bunch of data!

    Only if the crack does extend into the data area. If the crack stayed
    within the hub area, drilling hole shouldn't do anything by stop
    crack.

    Of corse, if the crack has extended into data layer, one may have a
    hard time getting the DVD read in some players since it'd appear to be
    a scratch to the laser.

    Impmon, Jul 8, 2005