    some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
    cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?

    Eric
    bluezfolk, Dec 30, 2006

  2. bluezfolk wrote:
    > This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
    > I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
    > pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
    > regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
    > with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
    > some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
    > cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?

    Kodak EasyShare C330, C340 or C360. They are cheap now, because the new
    cameras (e.g. C743) were released recently.
    =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=, Dec 30, 2006

  3. bluezfolk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    bluezfolk wrote:
    > This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
    > I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
    > pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
    > regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
    > with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
    > some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
    > cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?
    >

    > Eric

    You neglect to let us know what you think is a reasonable price.
    Without that, it is not possible to make a useful suggestion.
    Would $139 be a reasonable price for you?
    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006
  4. bluezfolk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    minnes√łtti wrote:
    > bluezfolk wrote:
    >> This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
    >> I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
    >> pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
    >> regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
    >> with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
    >> some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
    >> cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?

    > Kodak EasyShare C330, C340 or C360. They are cheap now, because the new
    > cameras (e.g. C743) were released recently.

    And with the C743 selling at Circuit City for $139, I would consider
    that 'reasonable' for a 7mp camera with 3x optical zoom, 2.4" LCD, AND
    an optical viewfinder.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006
  5. bluezfolk

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    "bluezfolk" <> wrote:

    > This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
    > I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
    > pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
    > regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
    > with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
    > some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
    > cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?
    >

    > Eric

    You can get a smaller camera by going with a model that uses a Lithium
    ion battery. The battery will last a lot longer than rechargeable AA or
    AAA batteries, plus it will retain its charge for months. The problem
    with AA or AAA rechargeables is that they lose their power just by
    sitting around. There are lots of cameras to choose from. Check
    http://www.dpreview.com for some reviews.
    Shawn Hirn, Dec 30, 2006
  6. bluezfolk

    davek57 Guest

    Look closely at the Kodak C875. A far better camera than the C743, with
    8MP and a superior lens. Mine came home for $167 USD. Not a bad deal
    for a 5X camera that takes AA batteries and fits in your pocket.

    -davek57

    davek57, Dec 30, 2006
  7. davek57 wrote:
    > Look closely at the Kodak C875. A far better camera than the C743, with
    > 8MP and a superior lens.

    More megapixels is good ?
    =?iso-8859-1?B?bWlubmVz+HR0aQ==?=, Dec 30, 2006
  8. bluezfolk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > "bluezfolk" <> wrote:
    >
    >> This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
    >> I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
    >> pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
    >> regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
    >> with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
    >> some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
    >> cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?
    >>

    >> Eric

    > You can get a smaller camera by going with a model that uses a Lithium
    > ion battery. The battery will last a lot longer than rechargeable AA or
    > AAA batteries, plus it will retain its charge for months. The problem
    > with AA or AAA rechargeables is that they lose their power just by
    > sitting around. There are lots of cameras to choose from. Check
    > http://www.dpreview.com for some reviews.

    You can buy several brands of NIMH rechargeables that don't have
    excessive self-discharge now. There is also the disposable lithium
    batteries which have very long (10 years) shelf-life. Perfect for those
    who use their cameras only for special occasions. They cost a bit more,
    but for the purpose, not an excessive amount, and are quite convenient.
    I am not comfortable with a lithium ion battery for a camera since it
    requires a special charger, and has a sharp voltage dropoff as it
    discharges. If one uses a lithium ion battery, carrying a spare would
    be necessary, and is relatively expensive, compared to AA batteries.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006
  9. bluezfolk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    minnes√łtti wrote:
    > davek57 wrote:
    >> Look closely at the Kodak C875. A far better camera than the C743, with
    >> 8MP and a superior lens.

    > More megapixels is good ?

    The difference between 7 and 8 mp is pretty minimal. It might also
    result in somewhat lower useful ISO, given that the sensor is the same size.
    Nice camera though, for the money. Were I buying for myself, that would
    have been my choice, but my wife wouldn't know what to do with the extra
    features... She is having enough trouble learning to use the zoom for
    framing, and remembering not to 'jab' the shutter button.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 30, 2006
  10. bluezfolk

    bluezfolk Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > bluezfolk wrote:
    > > This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
    > > I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
    > > pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
    > > regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
    > > with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
    > > some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
    > > cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?
    > >

    > > Eric
    > >

    > You neglect to let us know what you think is a reasonable price.
    > Without that, it is not possible to make a useful suggestion.
    > Would $139 be a reasonable price for you?

    For me reasonable would definately include $139. To answer another
    poster, I know that the models with lithIon batteries can be smaller
    but I'm just not comfortable with them.

    Eric
    bluezfolk, Dec 30, 2006
  11. bluezfolk

    John Turco Guest

    Shawn Hirn wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "bluezfolk" <> wrote:
    >
    > > This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
    > > I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
    > > pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
    > > regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
    > > with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
    > > some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
    > > cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?
    > >

    > > Eric

    > You can get a smaller camera by going with a model that uses a Lithium
    > ion battery. The battery will last a lot longer than rechargeable AA or
    > AAA batteries, plus it will retain its charge for months. The problem
    > with AA or AAA rechargeables is that they lose their power just by
    > sitting around. There are lots of cameras to choose from. Check
    > http://www.dpreview.com for some reviews.

    Hello, Shawn:

    Really? I own several Kodak digicams; the biggest ones of the lot (P850
    and DX6490 "super zoom" models) take KLIC-5000 & KLIC-5001 Li-ion packs.
    Conversely, the littler cameras all use AA cells.

    [The KLIC-type batteries are somewhat thinner than their AA counterparts
    (and of a rectangular shape), I should add.]

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Jan 6, 2007
  12. bluezfolk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John Turco wrote:
    > Shawn Hirn wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> "bluezfolk" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again anyway.
    >>> I'm looking for a small cheap digital that I can carry around in a
    >>> pocket. I would like to have at least 3MP, 3x optical zoom and take
    >>> regular size batteries (ie AA or AAA), self timer, and auto setting (
    >>> with possible manual). Main thing is reasonable price since it may get
    >>> some abuse and a fairly sharp lens and current availability since
    >>> cameras have evolved way past this stage. Anyone have any ideas?
    >>>

    >>> Eric

    >> You can get a smaller camera by going with a model that uses a Lithium
    >> ion battery. The battery will last a lot longer than rechargeable AA or
    >> AAA batteries, plus it will retain its charge for months. The problem
    >> with AA or AAA rechargeables is that they lose their power just by
    >> sitting around. There are lots of cameras to choose from. Check
    >> http://www.dpreview.com for some reviews.

    > Hello, Shawn:
    >
    > Really? I own several Kodak digicams; the biggest ones of the lot (P850
    > and DX6490 "super zoom" models) take KLIC-5000 & KLIC-5001 Li-ion packs.
    > Conversely, the littler cameras all use AA cells.
    >
    > [The KLIC-type batteries are somewhat thinner than their AA counterparts
    > (and of a rectangular shape), I should add.]
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <>

    Kodak seems to equip their larger cameras with smaller batteries. Most
    larger cameras still seem to have tiny LCD displays, although the P850
    bucks that trend.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 6, 2007