    Thank you!
    Elana

    , May 24, 2005

  2. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
    > to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
    > (<$300). Could you recommend anything?

    No. Especially if you're in the US, or else I'd suggest some of the
    Ricoh Caplio models that are not sold here. Otherwise your best bet
    is to ignore the marketing hype about megapixels and get either a
    fixed focus Fuji (no AF lag) or else get a video camera.

    Paul Rubin, May 24, 2005

  3. David Hardin Guest

    I find most of the Kodak series to have acceptably short lag.

    David Hardin, May 24, 2005
  4. ecm Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
    > to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
    > (<$300). Could you recommend anything?
    >
    > Thank you!
    > Elana

    Well, nothing spectacular - and almost all cameras will hunt a bit in
    light that's too low for them.

    Look at the Sony DSC-S90 (4 Mpixels, US$260), the Casio EX-Z55 (5
    Mpixels, US$270, my favorite), the Canon SD300 (4 Mpixels, US$275) and
    the Fujifilm F-10 (6 Mpixels, US$325 - but it's VERY fast). Stretch
    your price a little bit more and there's the Canon SD500 (7 Mpixels,
    US$500).

    Good Luck!
    ECM

    ecm, May 24, 2005
  5. Don Wiss Guest

    On 24 May 2005 14:38:58 -0700, wrote:

    >I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
    >to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
    >(<$300). Could you recommend anything?

    This camera has a reputation for low shutter lag (with the right type of
    memory card):

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kyocera/kyocera_sl400r.asp

    Don Wiss, May 25, 2005
  6. Paul Mitchum Guest

    <> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
    > to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
    > (<$300). Could you recommend anything?

    Get a camera with manual focus, and adjust for the distance between you
    and the subject before shooting, rather than waiting for the camera to
    hunt.

    You might be able to find a decent used Oly c-5050z, which is great for
    that sort of thing.

    Paul Mitchum, May 25, 2005
  7. Guest

    Pentax Optio S - tiny, short shutter lag. May still be short of 4 MP
    in latest version.

    , May 25, 2005
  8. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
    > to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
    > (<$300). Could you recommend anything?
    >
    > Thank you!
    > Elana

    Unfortunately, low price and low shutter lag don't go together. There
    are some things you can do to minimize the delay, however. One thing is
    to provide adequate ambient light. This allows faster shutter speeds,
    smaller apertures, and can stop motion, and allow greater depth of
    field, so that focus isn't as critical. Get close, use flash, and
    anticipate. Failing that, save for a DSLR....

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 25, 2005
  9. Ron Hunter Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > On 24 May 2005 14:38:58 -0700, wrote:
    >

    >>I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
    >>to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
    >>(<$300). Could you recommend anything?

    > This camera has a reputation for low shutter lag (with the right type of
    > memory card):
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kyocera/kyocera_sl400r.asp
    >
    > Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    Shutter lag and memory cards are unrelated. They can affect 'shot to
    shot' time, but not shutter lag.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 25, 2005
  10. Paul Furman Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Don Wiss wrote:
    >

    >> This camera has a reputation for low shutter lag (with the right type of
    >> memory card):
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kyocera/kyocera_sl400r.asp
    >>
    >> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

    > Shutter lag and memory cards are unrelated. They can affect 'shot to
    > shot' time, but not shutter lag.

    Also, I wonder if the OP really means startup time.

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 25, 2005
  11. ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:26:47 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

    > This camera has a reputation for low shutter lag (with the right type of
    > memory card):
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Kyocera/kyocera_sl400r.asp

    It does have low shutter lag, but with a fast enough memory card
    it can take sustained pictures until the card is full. The bulkier
    Kyocera Finecam M410R (uses AA batteries, has a 10x zoom and a
    fairly high-res EVF) can also take sustained pictures, but I believe
    that unlike the sl400r, its autofocus continues to operate as the
    pictures are taken.

    ASAAR, May 25, 2005
  12. Roger Guest

    On 24 May 2005 14:38:58 -0700, wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am looking for an ultra-portable camera with a very low shutter lag
    >to take pictures of children. At least 4MP and not too expensive
    >(<$300). Could you recommend anything?
    >
    >Thank you!
    >Elana

    Elana,

    I use the manual mode on my digital P&S to solve the fast moving
    children problem. The depth of field on digital P&S cameras is quite
    large and if the camera has the ability to manually focus you can pick
    an intermediate focus point and get a large region of the photograph
    in focus at any one time (this assumes that you are not using the
    telephoto region of the zoom lens and that you have reasonable light
    levels). It can be quite effective, but does require some setup time.
    My camera has a custom setting that allows me to save this setting.
    The custom mode is on the same dial as the auto/Av/portrait/night/etc.
    modes.

    You might see if a friend's camera has this capability and experiment
    before buying. My wife recently bought a used Canon G3 camera that has
    4MP and two custom settings. We have one custom mode set for the
    "grandkids".

    The single setting on my camera is used in the same manner.

    Regards,
    Roger

    Roger, May 25, 2005