Small businesses left vulnerable to virus attacks

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris, May 7, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3564939

    "....Of the 207 respondents, only 17 per cent had antivirus software
    installed and just 34 per cent had firewall software or a firewall
    appliance installed.... lack of money might be hindering some small
    companies from investing in IT security because more than half of those
    surveyed spent less than $19,000 a year on IT...."

    And they don't have any money left to buy some anti virus software ....
    well serves them right IMO - you would think that they could allocate a few
    hundred for AV or even $0 for some FREE Av software if they want to abuse
    the T&C of the FREE AV, of course, I don't subscribe to that, but I have
    received email from companies that use the FREE AVG.. The same applies to
    Firewalls..

    --
    Chris

    Chris, May 7, 2004

  2. "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3564939
    >
    > "....Of the 207 respondents, only 17 per cent had antivirus software
    > installed and just 34 per cent had firewall software or a firewall
    > appliance installed.... lack of money might be hindering some small
    > companies from investing in IT security because more than half of those
    > surveyed spent less than $19,000 a year on IT...."
    >
    > And they don't have any money left to buy some anti virus software ....
    > well serves them right IMO - you would think that they could allocate a
    > few
    > hundred for AV or even $0 for some FREE Av software if they want to abuse
    > the T&C of the FREE AV, of course, I don't subscribe to that, but I have
    > received email from companies that use the FREE AVG.. The same applies to
    > Firewalls..
    >
    > --
    > Chris
    >
    > "Two men walk into a bar. You'd think the second one would've ducked..."

    comes with the Windows Security Update CD

    Brett Roberts, May 7, 2004

  3. Chris

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 15:25:08 +1200, "Brett Roberts"
    <> wrote:

    >"Chris" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3564939
    >>
    >> "....Of the 207 respondents, only 17 per cent had antivirus software
    >> installed and just 34 per cent had firewall software or a firewall
    >> appliance installed.... lack of money might be hindering some small
    >> companies from investing in IT security because more than half of those
    >> surveyed spent less than $19,000 a year on IT...."
    >>
    >> And they don't have any money left to buy some anti virus software ....
    >> well serves them right IMO - you would think that they could allocate a
    >> few
    >> hundred for AV or even $0 for some FREE Av software if they want to abuse
    >> the T&C of the FREE AV, of course, I don't subscribe to that, but I have
    >> received email from companies that use the FREE AVG.. The same applies to
    >> Firewalls..
    >>
    >> --
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> "Two men walk into a bar. You'd think the second one would've ducked..."

    >comes with the Windows Security Update CD

    Still haven't received mine :-(. Filled out the online form months ago
    - why did MS offer this if they aren't prepared to honour it?

    Gurble, May 7, 2004
  4. Chris

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On 7 May 2004 13:38:26 +1200, Chris <> wrote:

    >http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3564939
    >
    >"....Of the 207 respondents, only 17 per cent had antivirus software
    >installed and just 34 per cent had firewall software or a firewall
    >appliance installed.... lack of money might be hindering some small
    >companies from investing in IT security because more than half of those
    >surveyed spent less than $19,000 a year on IT...."
    >
    >And they don't have any money left to buy some anti virus software ....
    >well serves them right IMO - you would think that they could allocate a few
    >hundred for AV or even $0 for some FREE Av software if they want to abuse
    >the T&C of the FREE AV, of course, I don't subscribe to that, but I have
    >received email from companies that use the FREE AVG.. The same applies to
    >Firewalls..

    I can't see the correlation between the $19,000 quoted and 'small
    business'. Last I heard something like 90 percent of businesses in NZ
    had 10 staff or less, so I assume a 'small business' would be one with
    less than 10 PCs.

    The average small business wouldn't need to spend anywhere near that
    much each year to be fully secure, service costs on a well setup
    network are minimal these days. $19k buys a hell of a lot of hardware
    & support each year. Ten user licences for antivirus are only about
    $500 per year.

    Just can't see cost being the main factor, more like poor (or nil)
    support IMO.

    I also find the figures hard to believe, just can't see more people
    having firewalls than those with antivirus. Also can't see only 17%
    using AV, doesn't gel with what I've found at small business sites.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, May 7, 2004
  5. Chris

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Gurble <> wrote in news:vtrm90teak5lb4jq1tad48sivemvqupive@
    4ax.com:

    > Still haven't received mine :-(. Filled out the online form months ago
    > - why did MS offer this if they aren't prepared to honour it?

    I also filled out the form when it was first posted here. There was a
    problem and the early birds did not get the worm. Fill out the form again,
    or call Microsoft NZ. They will most likely courier one to you overnight
    if it is urgent. There have been some very helpful posts in this NG in the
    past week on this very issue. A quick search in this news group will get
    you a direct name and number at Microsoft NZ you can call if you need it
    right away. A linux "zealot" even posted about how impressive the support
    was, and I have to agree.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 8, 2004
  6. Chris

    IRO Guest

    In article <409ae892$>, Chris <>
    wrote:

    > http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3564939
    >
    > "....Of the 207 respondents, only 17 per cent had antivirus software
    > installed and just 34 per cent had firewall software or a firewall
    > appliance installed.... lack of money might be hindering some small
    > companies from investing in IT security because more than half of those
    > surveyed spent less than $19,000 a year on IT...."
    >
    > And they don't have any money left to buy some anti virus software ....
    > well serves them right IMO - you would think that they could allocate a few
    > hundred for AV or even $0 for some FREE Av software if they want to abuse
    > the T&C of the FREE AV, of course, I don't subscribe to that, but I have
    > received email from companies that use the FREE AVG.. The same applies to
    > Firewalls..

    You forget that the vast majority of small business personnel have
    little or no computing knowledge, and only pick up the bare essentials
    on a need-to-know basis. They are too busy to waste time doodling with
    the computer.

    Note that none of the small businesses I deal with (2 to 20-odd staff)
    have any virus problems, but then they are all Macintosh-only work sites.
    ------
    ~IRO
    My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    IRO, May 8, 2004
  7. On Sat, 08 May 2004 07:35:19 GMT, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:
    > A linux "zealot" even posted about how impressive the support
    > was, and I have to agree.

    Gee Dave, I do hope that wasn't my post that you are refering to.
    Particularily as I didn't even mention the word 'linux' in it. I
    would find being called a "zealot" in this context pretty objectionable.

    Cheers, Liam

    Liam Greenwood, May 9, 2004
  8. Chris

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Liam Greenwood <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 08 May 2004 07:35:19 GMT, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >> A linux "zealot" even posted about how impressive the support
    >> was, and I have to agree.

    > Gee Dave, I do hope that wasn't my post that you are refering to.
    > Particularily as I didn't even mention the word 'linux' in it. I
    > would find being called a "zealot" in this context pretty objectionable.
    >
    > Cheers, Liam

    Your right Liam, I was refering to your post, and must apologize. Sorry.
    You are a UNIX geek. I was making a general comment and should have left it
    general, as the word zealot is strong also. Sorry. Now that I went back,
    found your post, and re-read mine, I can see your point.

    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 9, 2004