    closest possibility?

    Many thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Hill, May 19, 2006

  2. Robert Hill

    alexd Guest

    Robert Hill wrote:

    > At work we have 2 separate bt accounts and 2 different numbers. All pcs
    > are linked by wifi. Only 1 computer utilises skype to talk to other
    > commercial users of skype, which is on the increase. We would like to keep
    > existing tel nos for incoming calls only, so utilising the existing
    > Samsung system, but have separate normal phones (approx 6) all linked into
    > the wi fi system utilising voip. Many calls are to mobiles, and also uk
    > landlines. I would like to retain Skype as we have plenty of contacts
    > globally via this

    Skype is completely separate from your phone system. Personally, I wouldn't
    use WiFi phones at the moment; they don't offer a particularly good value
    proposition compared to an ATA with a DECT handset plugged into it. I'm yet
    to see a Wifi desk phone on the market.

    > but also have the ability to have a set monthly fee
    > (like vonage etc) to make unlimited landline calls, and also competitively
    > priced mobile calls. Can we
    > link 6 phones into a wi fi network and have all this???? Or what is the
    > closest possibility?

    I would go for an Asterisk box, sitting between your Samsung and the phone
    lines; the Samsung would talk to the Asterisk box and think it was talking
    to the exchange. You can get it to do LCR/IVR/VM for you, and use it as
    a 'gateway' to VoIP. That way, you can keep all your existing
    infrastructure, and when you want to grow, you can add IP handsets as
    extensions to your Asterisk system. You'll be able to add more 'trunks'
    over the internet from the likes of Gradwell or Sipgate, which for
    occasional use is far more cost effective than another BT line.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK
    alexd, May 20, 2006

  3. Robert Hill

    Sean Guest

    Robert Hill wrote:
    > At work we have 2 separate bt accounts and 2 different numbers. All pcs are
    > linked by wifi. Only 1 computer utilises skype to talk to other commercial
    > users of skype, which is on the increase. We would like to keep existing tel
    > nos for incoming calls only, so utilising the existing Samsung system, but
    > have separate normal phones (approx 6) all linked into the wi fi system
    > utilising voip. Many calls are to mobiles, and also uk landlines. I would
    > like to retain Skype as we have plenty of contacts globally via this but
    > also have the ability to have a set monthly fee (like vonage etc) to make
    > unlimited landline calls, and also competitively priced mobile calls. Can we
    > link 6 phones into a wi fi network and have all this???? Or what is the
    > closest possibility?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Robert

    This is possible.

    I think asterisk could do the trick :D Asterisk is a IP PBX. This, with
    2 Linksys SPA 3000's, and 6 wifi VoIP phones will allow you to do what
    you wish. Skype will be usable as usual on the machine you use it on,
    and will not be able to be used by the wifi phones, i don't believe .
    Skype is pathetic, and very uncomputable. Incoming calls will be able to
    ring all of the wifi phones, some of them, or you could have a digital
    receptionist, call queuing, or whatever else you can think of probably,
    asterisk does loads.

    Outgoing calls will be able to go out of whereever you wish. You can
    configure them to go out of PSTN lines, or any SIP providers you wish.

    www.blueface.ie do a business package for £24 for 'unlmited'calls to UK
    and ireland.

    Sean
    Sean, May 20, 2006