small business and net access?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by someone2, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. someone2

    someone2 Guest

    This question relates to a small business.

    Their single desktop was online via a cable modem and has a virus.
    They have purchased a second desktop for the interim while the first desktop
    is cleaned.

    The goal is to have both desktops setup independently in their office
    online, but only pay one fee to the cable isp.

    What is required? Can we simply put in a cable splitter and install two
    cable modems?

    The best word to summarize maybe "redundancy". They want each computer to be
    capable of independent connection to the net without risk of cross infection
    of having
    the two computers networked in the office.

    someone2
    someone2, Aug 26, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. someone2

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:31:05 -0400, "someone2"
    <> wrote:

    >This question relates to a small business.
    >
    >Their single desktop was online via a cable modem and has a virus.
    >They have purchased a second desktop for the interim while the first desktop
    >is cleaned.
    >
    >The goal is to have both desktops setup independently in their office
    >online, but only pay one fee to the cable isp.
    >
    >What is required? Can we simply put in a cable splitter and install two
    >cable modems?
    >
    >The best word to summarize maybe "redundancy". They want each computer to be
    >capable of independent connection to the net without risk of cross infection
    >of having
    >the two computers networked in the office.
    >
    >someone2


    What you need is a small cheap router which will allow a number
    of PC's to use the internet connection concurrently. This has the
    advantage of providing some isolation from the Internet using a
    feature called Native Address Translation (NAT) where your
    side uses private network addresses eg 192.168.x.x which cannot
    be directly addressed from the internet or the cable network
    and only the router has a public address. Its widely uses and
    very good.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Aug 26, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. someone2

    Whoever Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:31:05 -0400, "someone2"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> This question relates to a small business.
    >>
    >> Their single desktop was online via a cable modem and has a virus.
    >> They have purchased a second desktop for the interim while the first desktop
    >> is cleaned.
    >>
    >> The goal is to have both desktops setup independently in their office
    >> online, but only pay one fee to the cable isp.
    >>
    >> What is required? Can we simply put in a cable splitter and install two
    >> cable modems?
    >>
    >> The best word to summarize maybe "redundancy". They want each computer to be
    >> capable of independent connection to the net without risk of cross infection
    >> of having
    >> the two computers networked in the office.
    >>
    >> someone2

    >
    > What you need is a small cheap router which will allow a number
    > of PC's to use the internet connection concurrently. This has the
    > advantage of providing some isolation from the Internet using a
    > feature called Native Address Translation (NAT) where your


    That would be NETWORK address translation


    > side uses private network addresses eg 192.168.x.x which cannot
    > be directly addressed from the internet or the cable network
    > and only the router has a public address. Its widely uses and
    > very good.


    But this does not solve the other part of the OP's question -- having the
    2 PC's independent of each other, which MAY be possible through the
    configuration of many, many rules in the router -- and hence would depend
    on the capabilites of the router.

    Most routers are built on the assumption that you want to network the PCs
    that are behind the router.

    Perhaps it is better to make sure the PCs are secure, rather than attempt
    to isolate them:
    1. Bring the machines up to date
    2. Run Microsoft's Baseline security analyser and take appropriate action
    based on the results.
    3. Install anti-virus and anti-spyware.
    4. Install or (or use XP's built-in) firewall. Note that this last step
    provides the means to effectively "isolate" the machines from each other.
    Whoever, Aug 27, 2005
    #3
  4. someone2

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:13:42 -0700, Whoever <>
    wrote:

    >But this does not solve the other part of the OP's question -- having the
    >2 PC's independent of each other


    It rather depends what he means by that, and I suspect its not
    what you think - just that he wants them to access the net separately
    from each other.

    However you are right about the N in NAT, the natives must have
    been restless when I typed that ...
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Aug 27, 2005
    #4
  5. someone2

    Martin Guest

    someone2 wrote:
    > This question relates to a small business.
    >
    > Their single desktop was online via a cable modem and has a virus.
    > They have purchased a second desktop for the interim while the first desktop
    > is cleaned.
    >
    > The goal is to have both desktops setup independently in their office
    > online, but only pay one fee to the cable isp.
    >
    > What is required? Can we simply put in a cable splitter and install two
    > cable modems?
    >
    > The best word to summarize maybe "redundancy". They want each computer to be
    > capable of independent connection to the net without risk of cross infection
    > of having
    > the two computers networked in the office.
    >
    > someone2


    mmmmm I've usually done this kind of thing when two companies want to
    share an office and have a single internet connection, however....

    Something like a Watchguard Firebox might do what you require, it's
    multi-homed, so you can set each PC on seperate f/w subnets and use the
    f/w routing rules to keep each PC from seeing each other, while allowing
    each to access the Internet.

    Better might be to make sure each PC is secure in the first place and
    use a simple router to network them together to the Internet, and it'll
    be a damn site cheaper (if cost is an issue).
    Martin, Aug 27, 2005
    #5
  6. someone2

    Management Guest

    someone2 wrote:
    <SNIP>
    >
    > The goal is to have both desktops setup independently in their office
    > online, but only pay one fee to the cable isp.
    >
    > What is required? Can we simply put in a cable splitter and install two
    > cable modems?
    >
    > The best word to summarize maybe "redundancy". They want each computer to be
    > capable of independent connection to the net without risk of cross infection
    > of having
    > the two computers networked in the office.
    >
    > someone2
    >
    >


    I'm sure someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong :)

    Use a router to connect your machines to the cable modem. You can
    ensure that the two computers can't talk to each each other by
    having no shares and by installing a firewall on each machine to
    block the other while still allowing internet access.

    This article should cover will be informative:

    http://www.homenethelp.com/sharing/cable-modem.asp


    Charlie.



    --
    Broadcasting to the environs
    www.radiowymsey.org
    Management, Aug 28, 2005
    #6
  7. someone2

    someone2 Guest

    "someone2" <> wrote in message
    news:NAGPe.793$nq.778@lakeread05...
    > This question relates to a small business.
    >
    > Their single desktop was online via a cable modem and has a virus.
    > They have purchased a second desktop for the interim while the first
    > desktop is cleaned.
    >
    > The goal is to have both desktops setup independently in their office
    > online, but only pay one fee to the cable isp.
    >
    > What is required? Can we simply put in a cable splitter and install two
    > cable modems?
    >
    > The best word to summarize maybe "redundancy". They want each computer to
    > be capable of independent connection to the net without risk of cross
    > infection of having
    > the two computers networked in the office.
    >
    > someone2
    >


    I appreciate the responses.

    I called the cable isp and the CSR suggested connecting one desktop via cat
    5 and the other via USB on the cable modem.

    If both desktops are installed with WIN XP pro, patched to be current and
    have the XP firewall setup will they be reasonably safe?

    Naturally a current A/V, anti spyware, and backups will be setup as well.

    someone2
    someone2, Aug 28, 2005
    #7
  8. someone2

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:18:26 -0400, "someone2"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"someone2" <> wrote in message
    >news:NAGPe.793$nq.778@lakeread05...
    >> This question relates to a small business.
    >>
    >> Their single desktop was online via a cable modem and has a virus.
    >> They have purchased a second desktop for the interim while the first
    >> desktop is cleaned.
    >>
    >> The goal is to have both desktops setup independently in their office
    >> online, but only pay one fee to the cable isp.
    >>
    >> What is required? Can we simply put in a cable splitter and install two
    >> cable modems?
    >>
    >> The best word to summarize maybe "redundancy". They want each computer to
    >> be capable of independent connection to the net without risk of cross
    >> infection of having
    >> the two computers networked in the office.
    >>
    >> someone2
    >>

    >
    >I appreciate the responses.
    >
    >I called the cable isp and the CSR suggested connecting one desktop via cat
    >5 and the other via USB on the cable modem.
    >
    >If both desktops are installed with WIN XP pro, patched to be current and
    >have the XP firewall setup will they be reasonably safe?
    >
    >Naturally a current A/V, anti spyware, and backups will be setup as well.
    >
    >someone2


    Although their suggestion is valid, you are better off buying a cheap
    router which will; provide NAT. I see the D link DI 604 is around
    $25 from Amazon. software firewalls running on your machines have a
    place but the unit I suggest does it all better.

    read the spec at:

    http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=62&rid=299&sec=1
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Aug 28, 2005
    #8
  9. someone2

    Steve Welsh Guest

    Agree with, Jim, but I'm only using a DLink 504-T - works for me

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:18:26 -0400, "someone2"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>"someone2" <> wrote in message
    >>news:NAGPe.793$nq.778@lakeread05...
    >>
    >>>This question relates to a small business.
    >>>
    >>>Their single desktop was online via a cable modem and has a virus.
    >>>They have purchased a second desktop for the interim while the first
    >>>desktop is cleaned.
    >>>
    >>>The goal is to have both desktops setup independently in their office
    >>>online, but only pay one fee to the cable isp.
    >>>
    >>>What is required? Can we simply put in a cable splitter and install two
    >>>cable modems?
    >>>
    >>>The best word to summarize maybe "redundancy". They want each computer to
    >>>be capable of independent connection to the net without risk of cross
    >>>infection of having
    >>>the two computers networked in the office.
    >>>
    >>>someone2
    >>>

    >>
    >>I appreciate the responses.
    >>
    >>I called the cable isp and the CSR suggested connecting one desktop via cat
    >>5 and the other via USB on the cable modem.
    >>
    >>If both desktops are installed with WIN XP pro, patched to be current and
    >>have the XP firewall setup will they be reasonably safe?
    >>
    >>Naturally a current A/V, anti spyware, and backups will be setup as well.
    >>
    >>someone2

    >
    >
    > Although their suggestion is valid, you are better off buying a cheap
    > router which will; provide NAT. I see the D link DI 604 is around
    > $25 from Amazon. software firewalls running on your machines have a
    > place but the unit I suggest does it all better.
    >
    > read the spec at:
    >
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/resource.asp?pid=62&rid=299&sec=1
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com
    Steve Welsh, Aug 30, 2005
    #9
  10. someone2

    Steve Welsh Guest

    > If both desktops are installed with WIN XP pro, patched to be current and
    > have the XP firewall setup will they be reasonably safe?


    Nope
    Steve Welsh, Aug 30, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. wisdomkiller @ pain

    Re: Business and Business Management Articles and Tips

    wisdomkiller @ pain, Jan 20, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    397
    wisdomkiller @ pain
    Jan 20, 2009
  2. Evan Platt
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    433
    RickMerrill
    Feb 6, 2009
  3. why?
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    545
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    Apr 12, 2009
  4. Evan Platt
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    493
    Evan Platt
    Apr 12, 2009
  5. wisdomkiller & pain
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    472
    Leythos
    Apr 11, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page