    not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.

    Cheers,
    Chris
    El Penguino, Aug 27, 2006

  2. On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    > report the kernel version to me?
    >
    > There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    > not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    uname -a
    wogers nemesis, Aug 27, 2006

  3. El Penguino

    El Penguino Guest

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:40:50 +1200, wogers nemesis
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >> small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    >> report the kernel version to me?
    >>
    >> There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    >> not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Chris

    >uname -a

    That's the ticket ! Thanks.
    El Penguino, Aug 27, 2006
  4. El Penguino

    Earl Grey Guest

    El Penguino wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    > report the kernel version to me?
    >
    > There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    > not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    #uname -r
    Earl Grey, Aug 27, 2006
  5. El Penguino

    MaHogany Guest

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino wrote:

    > Hi All,
    > small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    > report the kernel version to me?
    >
    > There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    > not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.

    At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:

    grep "version" /proc/version

    OR

    "vi /proc/version"

    You should get info that looks like:

    Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005

    (To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    Ma Hogany

    --
    Q: How do I make Windows(TM) go faster?
    A: Throw it harder...
    MaHogany, Aug 27, 2006
  6. On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino
    <> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    >report the kernel version to me?
    >
    >There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    >not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Chris

    It's shown at the bottom of the "system status" page using the web
    interface.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Aug 27, 2006
  7. El Penguino

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:13:12 +1200, MaHogany <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >> small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    >> report the kernel version to me?
    >>
    >> There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    >> not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.

    >At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >
    >grep "version" /proc/version
    >

    >OR
    >
    >"vi /proc/version"
    >
    >You should get info that looks like:
    >
    >Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    >20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >

    >(To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    My god, and this is the operating system you think is suitable for
    general purpose use by non-geeks?

    ****.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 27, 2006
  8. El Penguino

    thingy Guest

    El Penguino wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:40:50 +1200, wogers nemesis
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    >>> report the kernel version to me?
    >>>
    >>> There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    >>> not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>> Chris

    >> uname -a

    > That's the ticket ! Thanks.

    If it has not changed cd /bot/grub

    more menu.lst and look for "default" it is normally 0 and points to the
    kernel being booted/used, scroll down a bit and make sure the kernel you
    want is the first one, if not exit, use an editor like vi and point
    default at it, eg default=1.

    then reboot.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 27, 2006
  9. El Penguino

    thingy Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:13:12 +1200, MaHogany <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    >>> report the kernel version to me?
    >>>
    >>> There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    >>> not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.

    >> At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >>
    >> grep "version" /proc/version
    >>

    >> OR
    >>
    >> "vi /proc/version"
    >>
    >> You should get info that looks like:
    >>
    >> Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    >> 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >>

    >> (To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    > My god, and this is the operating system you think is suitable for
    > general purpose use by non-geeks?
    >
    > ****.

    Yep, instead of dumbing down users, teach them more, get them smart and
    build confidence so they are not dependant on fuckwits.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 27, 2006
  10. El Penguino

    Allistar Guest

    MaHogany wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >
    >> Hi All,
    >> small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    >> report the kernel version to me?
    >>
    >> There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    >> not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.

    > At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >
    > grep "version" /proc/version
    >

    > OR
    >
    > "vi /proc/version"
    >
    > You should get info that looks like:
    >
    > Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    > 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >

    > (To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    if you're going to look at /prov/version, you'd be better off doing:

    cat /proc/version

    instead of opening it in an editor.

    Although the uname command is simpler, IMO.

    > Ma Hogany

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 27, 2006
  11. El Penguino

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > MaHogany wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    >>> report the kernel version to me?
    >>>
    >>> There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    >>> not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.

    >> At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >>
    >> grep "version" /proc/version
    >>

    >> OR
    >>
    >> "vi /proc/version"
    >>
    >> You should get info that looks like:
    >>
    >> Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    >> 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >>

    >> (To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    > if you're going to look at /prov/version, you'd be better off doing:
    >
    > cat /proc/version
    >
    > instead of opening it in an editor.
    >
    > Although the uname command is simpler, IMO.
    >
    >> Ma Hogany

    > Allistar.

    What's next?
    "Goto line 257:x+y=z:Drawto 314..."

    And say a little prayer while standing on one leg hitting "esc" twice and
    typing ":q!", then swear like Hell.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Aug 27, 2006
  12. El Penguino

    Allistar Guest

    *sling wrote:

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> MaHogany wrote:

    >>> At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >>>
    >>> grep "version" /proc/version
    >>>

    >>> OR
    >>>
    >>> "vi /proc/version"
    >>>
    >>> You should get info that looks like:
    >>>
    >>> Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    >>> 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >>>

    >>> (To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    >> if you're going to look at /prov/version, you'd be better off doing:
    >>
    >> cat /proc/version
    >>
    >> instead of opening it in an editor.
    >>
    >> Although the uname command is simpler, IMO.
    >>
    >>> Ma Hogany

    >> Allistar.

    > What's next?
    > "Goto line 257:x+y=z:Drawto 314..."
    >
    > And say a little prayer while standing on one leg hitting "esc" twice and
    > typing ":q!", then swear like Hell.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    vi is confusing if you're not used to it, but a very powerful editor. For
    command line editing I prefer "nano", and for the GUI "kwrite" or "kate"
    does the job well. vi is definitely not for newbies.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Aug 27, 2006
  13. El Penguino

    Enkidu Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:13:12 +1200, MaHogany <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi All,
    >>> small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    >>> report the kernel version to me?
    >>>
    >>> There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    >>> not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.

    >> At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >>
    >> grep "version" /proc/version
    >>

    >> OR
    >>
    >> "vi /proc/version"
    >>
    >> You should get info that looks like:
    >>
    >> Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    >> 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >>

    >> (To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    > My god, and this is the operating system you think is suitable for
    > general purpose use by non-geeks?

    Lennier is actually doing it the hard way. uname -a is all that is needed.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Aug 28, 2006
  14. El Penguino

    Chris Hope Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:13:12 +1200, MaHogany <>
    >> exclaimed:

    >>> At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >>>
    >>> grep "version" /proc/version
    >>>

    >>> OR
    >>>
    >>> "vi /proc/version"
    >>>
    >>> You should get info that looks like:
    >>>
    >>> Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    >>> 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >>>

    >>> (To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    >> My god, and this is the operating system you think is suitable for
    >> general purpose use by non-geeks?
    >>

    > Lennier is actually doing it the hard way. uname -a is all that is
    > needed.

    And even if you *really* did want to query /proc/version then you'd just
    do "cat /proc/version" instead of using a text editor.

    And of course there are GUI ways of finding out the kernel version
    number as well (just like in Windows). In KDE, for example, you'd just
    pop open the control center and it's there on the intro page.

    Chris Hope, Aug 28, 2006
  15. El Penguino

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:27:18 +1200, thingy <>
    exclaimed:

    >>> At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >>>
    >>> grep "version" /proc/version
    >>>

    >>> OR
    >>>
    >>> "vi /proc/version"
    >>>
    >>> You should get info that looks like:
    >>>
    >>> Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    >>> 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >>>

    >>> (To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    >> My god, and this is the operating system you think is suitable for
    >> general purpose use by non-geeks?
    >>
    >> ****.

    >Yep, instead of dumbing down users, teach them more, get them smart and
    >build confidence so they are not dependant on fuckwits.

    Or they could continue using an OS that's easy to use, so they can
    concentrate on doing their job, rather than becoming a computer
    expert...
    Fred Dagg, Aug 28, 2006
  16. Hi there,

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:13:12 +1200, MaHogany <>
    > exclaimed:
    >

    >>On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 22:29:41 +1200, El Penguino wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi All,
    >>>small question for the linux crew - how do I make my system (IPCOP)
    >>>report the kernel version to me?
    >>>
    >>>There was sposed to be a kernel change with the latest update and I'm
    >>>not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.

    >>At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >>
    >>grep "version" /proc/version
    >>

    >>OR
    >>
    >>"vi /proc/version"
    >>
    >>You should get info that looks like:
    >>
    >>Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    >>20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >>

    >>(To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    > My god, and this is the operating system you think is suitable for
    > general purpose use by non-geeks?

    A simple 'uname -r' from the command line would suffice, or simply
    running the KDE Control Centre, which shows the kernel version on
    its startup page, among other things...

    > ****.

    Get over it arsehole. You've taken one Linux users more long-winded
    solution to a simple question, and spouted off as if thats the only
    way someone can get that info. Its not, and other ways are simpler
    as you can now see.

    Once again you instigate a flame war, proving beyond doubt to me that
    you are nothing more than an MS funded schill...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 28, 2006
  17. Hi there,

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>MaHogany wrote:

    >>>At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >>>
    >>>grep "version" /proc/version
    >>>

    >>>OR
    >>>
    >>>"vi /proc/version"
    >>>
    >>>You should get info that looks like:
    >>>
    >>>Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    >>>20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >>>

    >>>(To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    >>if you're going to look at /prov/version, you'd be better off doing:
    >>
    >>cat /proc/version
    >>
    >>instead of opening it in an editor.
    >>
    >>Although the uname command is simpler, IMO.
    >>

    >>>Ma Hogany

    >>Allistar.

    > What's next?
    > "Goto line 257:x+y=z:Drawto 314..."
    >
    > And say a little prayer while standing on one leg hitting "esc" twice and
    > typing ":q!", then swear like Hell.

    Or do as Chris Hope and myself suggest, and load the KDE Control Center
    which shows on its startup page the required info. Gnome desktop most
    likely has a similar GUI tool that reports the same info...

    I really thought you'd be smarter Scroogie, than to lower yourself to
    the level of Fred Dagg by letting his FUD determine your response to
    this thread...

    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 28, 2006
  18. El Penguino

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:31:22 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    <> exclaimed:

    >>>At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:
    >>>
    >>>grep "version" /proc/version
    >>>

    >>>OR
    >>>
    >>>"vi /proc/version"
    >>>
    >>>You should get info that looks like:
    >>>
    >>>Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2
    >>>20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005
    >>>

    >>>(To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    >> My god, and this is the operating system you think is suitable for
    >> general purpose use by non-geeks?

    >A simple 'uname -r' from the command line would suffice, or simply
    >running the KDE Control Centre, which shows the kernel version on
    >its startup page, among other things...
    >
    >> ****.

    >Get over it arsehole. You've taken one Linux users more long-winded
    >solution to a simple question, and spouted off as if thats the only
    >way someone can get that info. Its not, and other ways are simpler
    >as you can now see.
    >
    >Once again you instigate a flame war, proving beyond doubt to me that
    >you are nothing more than an MS funded schill...

    LOL.

    I must admit, it's pretty funny reading posts from people like you. If
    someone has an opinion that differs from yours, no matter how
    considered, they're a corporately funded schill...

    What a dick.
    Fred Dagg, Aug 28, 2006
  19. Hi there,

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:31:22 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> exclaimed:

    >>>My god, and this is the operating system you think is suitable for
    >>>general purpose use by non-geeks?

    >>A simple 'uname -r' from the command line would suffice, or simply
    >>running the KDE Control Centre, which shows the kernel version on
    >>its startup page, among other things...
    >>

    >>>****.

    >>Get over it arsehole. You've taken one Linux users more long-winded
    >>solution to a simple question, and spouted off as if thats the only
    >>way someone can get that info. Its not, and other ways are simpler
    >>as you can now see.
    >>
    >>Once again you instigate a flame war, proving beyond doubt to me that
    >>you are nothing more than an MS funded schill...

    > LOL.
    >
    > I must admit, it's pretty funny reading posts from people like you. If
    > someone has an opinion that differs from yours, no matter how
    > considered, they're a corporately funded schill...
    >
    > What a dick.

    How about I change my tune slightly. I will no longer refer to you as
    a corporate funded schill. Instead I will refer to you as just a bored
    loser with nothing better to do than instigate flame wars about topics
    you know diddly squat about...

    Is that better?

    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 28, 2006
  20. El Penguino

    Earl Grey Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > What's next?
    > "Goto line 257:x+y=z:Drawto 314..."
    >
    > And say a little prayer while standing on one leg hitting "esc" twice and
    > typing ":q!", then swear like Hell.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    So how would I go about finding the Windows build number from the
    command prompt in XP ?
    Earl Grey, Aug 28, 2006