SM, XD, CF cards.. - practical differences?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by [blu|shark], Jan 21, 2004.

  1. [blu|shark]

    [blu|shark] Guest

    [blu|shark], Jan 21, 2004

  2. [blu|shark]

    . Guest

    Not easily answered, as the XD differs from the CF card in sofar as there is
    no internal controller and relies on the camera to control R/W operations.
    This is my understanding on the matter. In my Oly C-5050Z the XD card seems
    faster than a fast CF card as to writes to it. But then it was meant for use
    in that Camera.

    ., Jan 21, 2004

  3. [blu|shark]

    Ron Hunter Guest

    [blu|shark] wrote:

    > what practical differences exist between these types of memory cards?
    >
    > would an compact flash II camera benefit (speed?) from usage of an XD card
    > inserted in CF adaptor?

    There are differences in how the cards address memory, whether or not
    they have controllers in the card (CF does, not sure about the others),
    and in the speed of the cards. However, there is more variation within
    a type than across types as to speed. There would likely be no
    advantage to the adaptor idea.

    I find that the CF cards are a good compromise between size and ease of
    handling. I find the other cards either physically flimsy (Smartcard,
    memory stick), or small enough to lose easily.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 22, 2004