    you advise her?

    --
    Dave
    Dave Hardenbrook, Apr 23, 2005

  2. Dave Hardenbrook

    Breedo Guest

    I'm sure some good housekeeping and cleaning will eliminate some of the
    sluggishness. Since 98 isn't really a very secure OS, there's probably
    substantial malware on there to clean up.
    As for 98SE, some of the features it offered over 98 were DVD support, ICS,
    updated versions of IE and Outlook Express (which have probably been updated
    on her computer by now). 98 isn't as secure as later Windows versions, but
    with some basic protection and maintenance she probably doesn't need much
    more than what she has. However, if you do some upgrading, I would
    recommend 2000 over XP. Just my preference, especially for someone who
    probably doesn't want too much of a change in appearance. Also, in terms of
    hardware you wouldn't need to do as much.

    Good luck!
    -Breedo_

    Breedo, Apr 23, 2005

  3. On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:13:38 -0700, Dave Hardenbrook
    <> wrote:

    >Here's another challenge from one of my clients:
    >
    >She has a system from 1999 that she complains about sluggishness in
    >performance and she wants me to "clean up" the system. My plan is to
    >defragment the hard drive and do other basic "housekeeping", but there's
    >another thing I've discovered about her system -- She's still running
    >Windows 98, and *not* SE! Now I know the original 98 had bugs but I've
    >never known what the bugs actually were. Would they cause a slowdown in
    >her system? I'm very tempted to recommend that she upgrade to XP, but
    >she'd probably have to upgrade her hardware as well (PII, 64M memory),
    >and I know she's on a tight budget. Also, she's mostly a
    >"Word-and-Email" computer user (most of my clients are), so investing in
    >a high-powered system is not her priority. If you were me, how would
    >you advise her?

    I'd do a complete spyware check, and see what other useless stuff has
    been set to load on startup. That is single-handedly the number one
    cause of "sluggishness" these days.

    Then, see if you can talk her into adding another 64M of RAM.

    98 vs 98SE is not gonna account for the sluggishness, and you're
    right, you'd never get XP to run acceptably on that hardware, plus
    with her "Word & Email" requirements, it's not required.

    With that said, I always start out my recommendations to people with
    old hardware by saying something like, "I never recommend against
    upgrading to a newer machine <pause>, and most people don't realize
    you can get a brand new, state-of-the-art Dell for around $400
    <pause>, but if that's not an option, then blah, blah, blah...."

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Apr 23, 2005
  4. Dave Hardenbrook

    Spammy Sammy Guest

    > snip

    I'd run the usual adware/spyware progs, plus Window Washer to clean out the
    crud.

    I'd advise her about the merits of extra RAM and a more updated OS but
    without knowing what exactly it is she does I'd not yet suggest which, if
    any, to go for.

    FWIW I use XP most of the time, however have a 98SE system which I
    occasionally go back to and it's still perfectly adequate for my purposes -
    games, MS Office, browsing and peering. XP is far more than I really need.
    Spammy Sammy, Apr 24, 2005
  5. In article <>, mhaase-at-
    springmind.com <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> says...
    > I'd do a complete spyware check, and see what other useless stuff has
    > been set to load on startup. That is single-handedly the number one
    > cause of "sluggishness" these days.

    Which Spyware remover would you recommend? I currently use Ad-Aware,
    but I'm wondering if there any others that might catch some things that
    Ad-Aware misses.

    Also, one thing I forgot to mention about this system: Every time
    Windows starts an error dialog comes up (after the rest of Desktop etc.
    has started ok) that says, "A required DLL 'MSOxxx.DLL' was not found."
    My client keeps telling me, "That always happens -- Just click 'OK' and
    don't worry about it." But I have a funny feeling I should worry about
    it. I'm suspecting a bad install somewhere (MSO = Microsoft Office?),
    but how do I go about determining what application is requesting this
    DLL? (Sorry I don't have the exact filename for the missing DLL
    currently on hand.)

    --
    Dave
    Dave Hardenbrook, Apr 24, 2005
  6. On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:38:03 -0700, Dave Hardenbrook
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, mhaase-at-
    >springmind.com <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> says...
    >> I'd do a complete spyware check, and see what other useless stuff has
    >> been set to load on startup. That is single-handedly the number one
    >> cause of "sluggishness" these days.

    >Which Spyware remover would you recommend? I currently use Ad-Aware,
    >but I'm wondering if there any others that might catch some things that
    >Ad-Aware misses.
    >
    >Also, one thing I forgot to mention about this system: Every time
    >Windows starts an error dialog comes up (after the rest of Desktop etc.
    >has started ok) that says, "A required DLL 'MSOxxx.DLL' was not found."
    >My client keeps telling me, "That always happens -- Just click 'OK' and
    >don't worry about it." But I have a funny feeling I should worry about
    >it. I'm suspecting a bad install somewhere (MSO = Microsoft Office?),
    >but how do I go about determining what application is requesting this
    >DLL? (Sorry I don't have the exact filename for the missing DLL
    >currently on hand.)

    I use Ad-aware & Spybot first. Install them on the machine, and
    update their definitions - then reboot in safe mode to run them (saves
    time since lately 80% of the cases have required re-running them after
    a reboot anyway).

    Then CWS Shredder, BHO Demon, and finish with a does of Hijaak This.
    Be careful with the last one - unless you know what you're doing, you
    could screw things up.

    Re the error message - do a Googele/Deja search on the file name and
    see what comes up. Or you could disable stuff from starting using
    MSCONFIG and see when the error no longer happens.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Apr 24, 2005