Sluggish MS Explorer display (occasional)

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DiLu790, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. DiLu790

    DiLu790 Guest

    Hello,

    I recently installed an additional hard drive (80 Gigs along with my previous
    20 Gig)
    at the same time as adding a DVD RW Drive along with my older CD RW Drive
    as well as adding on extra memory.

    The Installations went smooth as butter, and I've no complaints except for one
    thing. When using any instance of Windows Explorer, the window will store
    considerably when accessing the root where MY COMPUTER is at. Not every single
    time but more than 1/2 the time, I'd say (I of course do this so's to access
    the other drives)

    Could this be a hardware issue? or OS? (could it be that having all these
    drives is what's driving the system whacky?)

    I use Windows XP (Home Edition)

    thx in advance.
    DiLu790, Jan 15, 2004

  2. If I had my guesses, it would be conflicting pointers in the registry.
    You might try re-installing XP with both drives in place.

    Michael Graves
    http://basichardware.50megs.com

    Michael Graves, Jan 15, 2004

  3. DiLu790

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (DiLu790) wrote in news:20040115124701.26490.00000018@mb-
    m07.aol.com:

    > Could this be a hardware issue? or OS? (could it be that having all these
    > drives is what's driving the system whacky?)

    Have discs in your optical drives?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 15, 2004
  4. DiLu790

    DiLu790 Guest

    hmmmm,

    I suppose I might've missed out on the most obvious thing, since this is my
    first time ever owning a DVD drive on a PC.

    I guess a DVD disc inside the drive WOULD slow things down a bit.

    Thanks bud.
    DiLu790, Jan 16, 2004
  5. DiLu790

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (DiLu790) wrote in news:20040115190906.26379.00000052@mb-
    m07.aol.com:

    > I guess a DVD disc inside the drive WOULD slow things down a bit.
    >
    > Thanks bud.

    So was that it, or not?

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 16, 2004
  6. DiLu790

    Trent© Guest

    On 16 Jan 2004 00:09:06 GMT, (DiLu790) wrote:

    >hmmmm,
    >
    >I suppose I might've missed out on the most obvious thing, since this is my
    >first time ever owning a DVD drive on a PC.
    >
    >I guess a DVD disc inside the drive WOULD slow things down a bit.
    >
    >Thanks bud.

    Take that 20 gigger outa there...it'll just slow you down. Use it for
    backup.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Jan 16, 2004
  7. DiLu790

    DiLu790 Guest

    Well, a day later with no disc in there, things are have been running smooth.

    thanks again.
    DiLu790, Jan 16, 2004
  8. DiLu790

    DiLu790 Guest

    My original plan was to switch the drives, and have the 80 gig as the main one,
    then do a dual boot with win 98 (for testing products) on whatever main one I
    have in there, then XP on the secondary. (but it seems now like such a waste to
    have something like 98 on a big drive...so I'll leave it as is)

    I kinda lost steam with all installations. But with my DVD RW, I can now back
    everything up and perhaps consider something for another day. Plus I spent
    enough money on all this, so getting something like ghost drive will have to
    wait. (still haven't looked into that solution.)

    thanks for the input.
    DiLu790, Jan 16, 2004