    SMS Guest

    "http://www.geeksugar.com/1842850"

    I guess there's finally an advantage to a P&S!

    SMS, Aug 9, 2008

  2. SMS

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "SMS" <> wrote

    > "http://www.geeksugar.com/1842850"

    > I guess there's finally an advantage to a P&S!

    What an authoritative website *that* is! If you go to the British Journal of
    Photography site http://www.bjphoto.co.uk/public/showPage.html?page=808276
    it makes it a little clearer - the Chinese are talking about visitors
    (spectators) rather than accredited photographers in the media areas. I
    guess that makes sense - who, having paid megabucks for a ticket, wants some
    dweeb in the row behind poking a 400mm lens over your shoulder and going
    calunk calunk calunk all through the event, especially if it's something
    quiet like bowls or archery. Guess people will have to settle for firing
    their little built-in flashes at a stadium an industrial strobe wouldn't
    have any effect on!

    See also http://www.sportsjournalists.co.uk/blog/?p=1363 wherein President
    Bush gets the hard word on filming. HM the Queen is well known for packing a
    Leica, wonder who the lucky minion is that has to say "Sorry madam, no
    allowed your camera here..." (Off with his head!)

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Aug 9, 2008

  3. Paul Bartram wrote:

    > "SMS" <> wrote
    >
    >> "http://www.geeksugar.com/1842850"

    >> I guess there's finally an advantage to a P&S!

    > What an authoritative website *that* is! If you go to the British Journal of
    > Photography site http://www.bjphoto.co.uk/public/showPage.html?page=808276
    > it makes it a little clearer - the Chinese are talking about visitors
    > (spectators) rather than accredited photographers in the media areas. I
    > guess that makes sense - who, having paid megabucks for a ticket, wants some
    > dweeb in the row behind poking a 400mm lens over your shoulder and going
    > calunk calunk calunk all through the event, especially if it's something
    > quiet like bowls or archery. Guess people will have to settle for firing
    > their little built-in flashes at a stadium an industrial strobe wouldn't
    > have any effect on!

    My first thought was that they didn't want to offer the spectators the
    chance to make pro-sports-shooter-quality images at their venues. Then,
    above my head, appeared a bright light bulb, and the light bulb spake,
    and what it said was, "Yeah, the Chinese worrying about copyrights. El oh
    el."

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 9, 2008
  4. SMS

    Chris H Guest

    In message <489d3c62$0$11454$>, Paul
    Bartram <> writes

    >"SMS" <> wrote
    >
    >> "http://www.geeksugar.com/1842850"

    >> I guess there's finally an advantage to a P&S!

    >What an authoritative website *that* is! If you go to the British Journal of
    >Photography site http://www.bjphoto.co.uk/public/showPage.html?page=808276
    >it makes it a little clearer - the Chinese are talking about visitors
    >(spectators) rather than accredited photographers in the media areas.

    Just like ANY music concert. (Usually NO photos at all) and many other
    events.

    I expect that this is probably something the pro photographers
    welcome... Event photography, like prostitution, can be ruined by
    amateurs getting into he market :)

    Chris H, Aug 9, 2008
  5. SMS

    Cynicor Guest

    Chris H wrote:
    > Paul Bartram <> writes
    >> "SMS" <> wrote
    >>
    >>> "http://www.geeksugar.com/1842850"

    >>> I guess there's finally an advantage to a P&S!

    >> What an authoritative website *that* is! If you go to the British
    >> Journal of Photography site
    >> http://www.bjphoto.co.uk/public/showPage.html?page=808276
    >> it makes it a little clearer - the Chinese are talking about visitors
    >> (spectators) rather than accredited photographers in the media areas.

    > Just like ANY music concert. (Usually NO photos at all) and many other
    > events.

    Not at all. I've been welcomed into many a concert with SLR in tow. I
    shot four bands just this past Thursday. http://trupin.smugmug.com/music

    They're usually stricter at seated concert venues than at clubs.

    Cynicor, Aug 9, 2008
  6. SMS

    Roy G Guest

    "Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au> wrote in message

    > HM the Queen is well known for packing a
    > Leica, wonder who the lucky minion is that has to say "Sorry madam, no
    > allowed your camera here..." (Off with his head!)
    >
    > Paul

    No Problem for Lizzie, she uses a Leica "M" not an SLR, and that is classed
    as a Compact.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 9, 2008
  7. SMS

    Chris H Guest

    In message <Gefnk.10115$2>, Roy G
    <> writes

    >"Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au> wrote in message
    >>
    >> HM the Queen is well known for packing a
    >> Leica, wonder who the lucky minion is that has to say "Sorry madam, no
    >> allowed your camera here..." (Off with his head!)
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    >No Problem for Lizzie, she uses a Leica "M" not an SLR, and that is classed
    >as a Compact.

    Besides she usually has several dozen pro's in tow along with a couple
    of TV crews... I suspects here people will request any pictures or video
    they want

    Chris H, Aug 9, 2008
  8. SMS

    That80sGuy Guest

    Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au> done wrote:

    > guess that makes sense - who, having paid megabucks for a ticket, wants
    > some dweeb in the row behind poking a 400mm lens over your shoulder and
    > going calunk calunk calunk

    Who, having paid megabucks for a ticket, wants to be prohibited from
    bringing their 400mm lens?

    > Guess people will have to settle for firing
    > their little built-in flashes at a stadium an industrial strobe wouldn't
    > have any effect on!

    Exactly. Those thousands of worthless flashes are more distracting than a
    few folks who have the proper equipment to capture decent images.

    That80sGuy, Aug 9, 2008
  9. SMS

    Irwell Guest

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:16:43 +0100, Chris H wrote:

    > In message <Gefnk.10115$2>, Roy G
    > <> writes
    >>
    >>"Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> HM the Queen is well known for packing a
    >>> Leica, wonder who the lucky minion is that has to say "Sorry madam, no
    >>> allowed your camera here..." (Off with his head!)
    >>>
    >>> Paul
    >>>

    >>No Problem for Lizzie, she uses a Leica "M" not an SLR, and that is classed
    >>as a Compact.

    > Besides she usually has several dozen pro's in tow along with a couple
    > of TV crews... I suspects here people will request any pictures or video
    > they want

    Philip used to have a Hasselblad amongst his other toys like
    the Bluebottle racing yatch, his team of shire horses, his Ferrari etc.
    Tough life.

    Irwell, Aug 9, 2008
  10. SMS

    SMS Guest

    That80sGuy wrote:
    > In message news:489d3c62$0$11454$, "Paul
    > Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au> done wrote:

    >> guess that makes sense - who, having paid megabucks for a ticket, wants
    >> some dweeb in the row behind poking a 400mm lens over your shoulder and
    >> going calunk calunk calunk

    > Who, having paid megabucks for a ticket, wants to be prohibited from
    > bringing their 400mm lens?
    >
    >> Guess people will have to settle for firing
    >> their little built-in flashes at a stadium an industrial strobe wouldn't
    >> have any effect on!

    > Exactly. Those thousands of worthless flashes are more distracting than a
    > few folks who have the proper equipment to capture decent images.

    Yeah, I watched last night, and it was pretty annoying to see all those
    clueless people with their P&S flashes going off.

    SMS, Aug 9, 2008
  11. SMS wrote:
    []
    > Yeah, I watched last night, and it was pretty annoying to see all
    > those clueless people with their P&S flashes going off.

    Well, there were a lot of flashes as part of the display - I'm not
    convinced that all the crowd flashes were photographer-created. Wasn't it
    more annoying to see a lot of the athletes trying to be photographers with
    their video cameras rather than parading for their country and sport? Oh,
    and I'm sure I saw some DSLRs in their hands...

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 9, 2008
  12. SMS

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Alan Browne
    <> writes

    >While a big Olympic fan I refuse to watch any of it this year and I'm
    >actively boycotting most of their suppliers and sponsors (hard to do
    >and I bought some Kodak film a few weeks ago too, mustn't make that
    >mistake again ...)
    >
    >The Chinese government is simply unfit in this day and age to be hosts
    >of the Olympics. Their recent track record in Africa supporting
    >genocidal regimes, support for Myanmar, N. Korea and patient cultural
    >genocide in Tibet, the clearing of homes in Beijing with no warning and
    >no support for the same displaced people are but a few reasons why...

    However their track record is no worse than the USA.

    Chris H, Aug 9, 2008
  13. SMS

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 17:05:45 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >SMS wrote:
    >[]
    >> Yeah, I watched last night, and it was pretty annoying to see all
    >> those clueless people with their P&S flashes going off.

    >Well, there were a lot of flashes as part of the display - I'm not
    >convinced that all the crowd flashes were photographer-created. Wasn't it
    >more annoying to see a lot of the athletes trying to be photographers with
    >their video cameras rather than parading for their country and sport?

    My God, what is wrong with young athletes, who worked very hard to be
    there, to want to capture those moments?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 9, 2008
  14. SMS

    Irwell Guest

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:41:25 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

    > On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 17:05:45 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>SMS wrote:
    >>[]
    >>> Yeah, I watched last night, and it was pretty annoying to see all
    >>> those clueless people with their P&S flashes going off.

    >>Well, there were a lot of flashes as part of the display - I'm not
    >>convinced that all the crowd flashes were photographer-created. Wasn't it
    >>more annoying to see a lot of the athletes trying to be photographers with
    >>their video cameras rather than parading for their country and sport?

    > My God, what is wrong with young athletes, who worked very hard to be
    > there, to want to capture those moments?

    Not a thing, and it is the wonderful world of the digital
    P&S that enables them to snap away. 'Memories are made of this'

    Irwell, Aug 9, 2008
  15. SMS

    Irwell Guest

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:17:45 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

    > While a big Olympic fan I refuse to watch any of it this year and I'm
    > actively boycotting most of their suppliers and sponsors (hard to do and
    > I bought some Kodak film a few weeks ago too, mustn't make that mistake
    > again ...)

    Petty peevishness, like Carter with the Moscow Games
    and the Soviets with the LA Olympics. Spoils it for all
    time for that group of young athletes. They usually only get one chance
    in a lifetime for an Olympic try.

    Irwell, Aug 9, 2008
  16. SMS

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:03:34 -0400, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 17:05:45 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    >>> more annoying to see a lot of the athletes trying to be photographers with
    >>> their video cameras rather than parading for their country and sport?

    >> My God, what is wrong with young athletes, who worked very hard to be
    >> there, to want to capture those moments?

    >Given the 42,000 cameras focused on them, they would have been better
    >served to set the DVR at home and let it record the moment for them.

    The athletes that I saw taking pictures were mostly taking pictures of
    other athletes; many having someone else take a picture of them with
    other athletes. When else would some track competitor have a chance
    to have his or her picture taken with Kobe Bryant or Roger Federer?

    When they did take pictures of the crowd, they were recording a
    personal moment in their lives. Why would anyone want to deny them
    this?

    Using just the US athletes, there were - what? - 600-some of them.
    What are chances for any one of them, with the exceptions of the
    "names" (like Bryant), to be able to spot themselves or their training
    mates in the official footage?

    One of the things I like most about the Opening Night ceremonies is
    seeing how thrilled and excited the athletes are in the infield after
    their country marches in. I like that they mingle with the athletes
    from other nations.

    The Olympic experience for most of those athletes will be over in one
    heat or one round. They'll be done in a matter of seconds or minutes.
    Let them enjoy what they have.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 9, 2008
  17. SMS

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 02:31:15 +0200, Mxsmanic <>
    wrote:

    >tony cooper writes:
    >
    >> When they did take pictures of the crowd, they were recording a
    >> personal moment in their lives. Why would anyone want to deny them
    >> this?
    >>
    >> Using just the US athletes, there were - what? - 600-some of them.
    >> What are chances for any one of them, with the exceptions of the
    >> "names" (like Bryant), to be able to spot themselves or their training
    >> mates in the official footage?

    >What are the chances that any one of them will spot themselves in the crowds
    >in their own photos?

    Restore what you snipped - "The athletes that I saw taking pictures
    were mostly taking pictures of other athletes; many having someone
    else take a picture of them with other athletes." - and all is clear.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Aug 10, 2008
  18. Cynicor wrote:
    > Chris H wrote:
    >> Paul Bartram <> writes
    >>> "SMS" <> wrote

    >>> What an authoritative website *that* is! If you go to the British
    >>> Journal of Photography site
    >>> http://www.bjphoto.co.uk/public/showPage.html?page=808276
    >>> it makes it a little clearer - the Chinese are talking about visitors
    >>> (spectators) rather than accredited photographers in the media areas.

    >> Just like ANY music concert. (Usually NO photos at all) and many
    >> other events.

    > Not at all. I've been welcomed into many a concert with SLR in tow. I
    > shot four bands just this past Thursday. http://trupin.smugmug.com/music

    Yes at all. With exception of open air charity even style concerts it
    has been years since they allowed flash photography or even cameras at
    concerts. Bands playing at clubs are not concerts.

    There are multiple reason, annoyance to other fans being only one. Most
    bands have managers who want to control the images released to the
    public. I had a quick look at some of your examples and many are of a
    standard that would offend the people involved. Those of the Rosebuds
    for instance, the shot of the girl showing double chins would be exactly
    the sort of thing they want to avoid. They don't need paparazzi style
    photos of their gigs.

    Chris was quite correct.

    Cal

    Cal I Fornicate, Aug 10, 2008
  19. Alan Browne wrote:

    > While a big Olympic fan I refuse to watch any of it this year and I'm
    > actively boycotting most of their suppliers and sponsors (hard to do and
    > I bought some Kodak film a few weeks ago too, mustn't make that mistake
    > again ...)

    What, you don't want to see which country's drug cheat are the most
    successful. How unsportsmanlike of you.

    > The Chinese government is simply unfit in this day and age to be hosts
    > of the Olympics. Their recent track record in Africa supporting
    > genocidal regimes, support for Myanmar, N. Korea and patient cultural
    > genocide in Tibet, the clearing of homes in Beijing with no warning and
    > no support for the same displaced people are but a few reasons why...

    The athletes have no (open) political agenda. Supporting the Olympics is
    supporting the athletes, not the host country.

    > I once ( a few years ago ) was a huge fan of Chinese government
    > progress, but the focus on the Olympics has revealed them for what they
    > are. Evil dictators and murderers.

    You've watched too many Batman or I Spy movies.

    Cal

    Cal I Fornicate, Aug 10, 2008
  20. Chris H wrote:
    > In message <489d3c62$0$11454$>, Paul
    > Bartram <> writes
    >>
    >> "SMS" <> wrote
    >>
    >>> "http://www.geeksugar.com/1842850"

    >>> I guess there's finally an advantage to a P&S!

    >> What an authoritative website *that* is! If you go to the British
    >> Journal of
    >> Photography site
    >> http://www.bjphoto.co.uk/public/showPage.html?page=808276
    >> it makes it a little clearer - the Chinese are talking about visitors
    >> (spectators) rather than accredited photographers in the media areas.

    > Just like ANY music concert. (Usually NO photos at all) and many other
    > events.
    >
    > I expect that this is probably something the pro photographers
    > welcome... Event photography, like prostitution, can be ruined by
    > amateurs getting into he market :)

    Amateur Prostitutes?

    If she "Fucks for the money" (Sorry Donna Summer)
    she's a Pro.

    Cal

    Cal I Fornicate, Aug 10, 2008