    Thanks

    --
    If he is so smart, how come he is dead? - Homer Simpson

    Vinylmixer, Aug 6, 2004

  2. Vinylmixer

    Vinylmixer Guest

    In addition im mainly interested in the Canon DSLR range if it makes a
    difference

    Vinylmixer, Aug 6, 2004

  3. "Vinylmixer" <> writes:

    > I know that consumer cameras use 2x, 3x 4x etc to specify their
    > zooming capabilities, but SLR use lense length (or so im thinking)
    > but is there a site that shows photos of the zooming of these lenses
    > i.e. the difference a 200mm lense makes and a 400mm make compared to
    > say a 50mm etc etc

    There are two *different* uses of "x" in talking about lenses
    (including zooms).

    In the binocular world, and the spotting scope world, people use "x"
    to talk about magnification -- 8x binoculars make things eight times
    bigger. We don't use that convention much in photography.

    For camera lenses, talking about zoom lenses, "x" is used to describe
    the zoom ratio -- the ratio between the longest and shortest focal
    length the lens will go to. So a 100-500mm zoom is a 5x zoom -- and
    so is a 12mm-60mm zoom. This is the usage of "x" that you see when
    reading about consumer digicams.

    For 35mm gear, a 50mm lens is by convention "normal". Since consumer
    digicams usually specify the "35mm-equivalent" focal length rather
    than the real focal length for their lenses, you can compute the
    magnification by dividing the maximum stated focal length by 50 (this
    gets you the "x" used for binoculars, magnification). So if a camera
    claims a 28mm-280mm focal length (35mm-equivalent) zoom, the long end
    is 280/50 or a bit better than 5 times magnification -- like 5x
    binoculars.

    At most camera stores, you can find a brochure or even counter mat
    that shows a sequence of photos taken with all the different lenses in
    some manufacturers lineup -- all from the same spot. That will give
    you a pretty good visual idea what the different focal lengths mean.

    However, since every consumer digicam I've checked has something
    between 28mm and 40mm as the widest (smallest focal length)
    35mm-equivalent focal length, the zoom ratio "x" factor actually gives
    you a decent idea of the longest focal length provided -- a 10x lens
    will be pretty reliably longer than an 8x lens on these cameras.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 6, 2004
  4. Vinylmixer

    Jeff Guest

    Canon had a webapp that would let you see an image and what it would look
    like with different focal lengths. I tried looking for that page and cannot
    find. I did look at it back in June so it was not that long ago. Keep in
    mind that with a Canon Rebel, you have a 1.6X crop factor so a 100mm lens
    will really look like a 160mm lens.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Vinylmixer

    Vinylmixer Guest

    so does that mean u get more zoom?

    Vinylmixer, Aug 6, 2004
  6. Vinylmixer

    Vinylmixer Guest

    I did find this

    http://bj.canon.co.jp/english/photoshooting/technihsc/camerafunction/camerafunction02.html

    Vinylmixer, Aug 6, 2004
  7. Yes, you do. Its helps with telephoto, but its a killer with wide angle
    shots.

    (However, if you want to get technical about it, you really arent getting
    "more zoom", but thats a differet thread).

    I was also familiar with that cannon web page, but i could not find it
    either.

    Mark Whalberg, Aug 6, 2004
  8. Vinylmixer

    Justin Thyme Guest

    > I know that consumer cameras use 2x, 3x 4x etc to specify their zooming
    > capabilities, but SLR use lense length (or so im thinking) but is there a
    > site that shows photos of the zooming of these lenses i.e. the difference

    > 200mm lense makes and a 400mm make compared to say a 50mm etc etc

    If you check the specs of consumer cams (eg on dpreview.com) you will see
    that they have a 35mm equivalent. For example a common size for 3x cameras
    is 35-105mm. All the 2x,3x,4x means is that the image when zoomed in is 2x
    etc bigger than when the camera is at it's widest angle. By itself these
    numbers don't indicate how wide the camera can go, or how much it can zoom.
    For example 28-84 and 100-300 are both 3x zoom, but the field of view is
    drastically different between them.

    In SLR camera's, the lenses are rated purely by their focal length - eg the
    lens that ships with an EOS300D is 18-55mm (roughly 3x zoom). The field of
    view for a DSLR is different to that for a film SLR, so 18-55 on an EOS300
    is roughly the same as 28-85 on a film camera.
    While I don't have a link to examples, the following gives some guide as to
    what the various focal lengths do - these are in film equivalents - if you
    are looking at an EOS300 you will need to divide by 1.6 to find what size
    you need to achieve this.
    15mm - fisheye
    24mm - extreme wide angle
    28mm - very wide angle
    35mm - fairly wide angle
    50mm - normal lens (gives a view with similar perspective to the human eye)
    80mm - mild telephoto
    135mm - fairly strong telephoto
    200mm - strong telephoto
    300mm and higher - very strong telephoto
    for portraits you will typically use a lens in the range 50 to 135mm - these
    lenses don't introduce distortions to people's faces like wide angle lenses
    do, and don't excessively flatten perspective like stronger telephoto lenses
    do.

    Justin Thyme, Aug 6, 2004
  9. Vinylmixer

    Matt Ion Guest

    Lovely shots of the Vancouver, BC harbour and Canada Place cruise ship
    terminal from across Burrard Inlet at Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver. :)

    from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even
    incapable of forming such opinions."
    -- Albert Einstein

    Matt Ion, Aug 6, 2004
  10. Vinylmixer

    Vinylmixer Guest

    Thanks everyone for your informative responses.

    Vinylmixer, Aug 7, 2004
  11. Vinylmixer

    Skip M Guest

    It's effect is that of more length, not more zoom, you are starting out
    longer, and finishing longer. (And I apologize for any resemblance to
    "organ" spam...<G>)

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Aug 7, 2004
  12. Vinylmixer

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Vinylmixer wrote:

    > so does that mean u get more zoom?

    Just a note on zoom..

    Zoom is a verb.. It describes the apparent motion you see in
    the viewfinder when you change the focal length of a variable
    focal length lens. Not only can you zoom in, but you can zoom
    out as well.

    If you are close to an object where it is too big to get
    in the frame, you can zoom OUT to make it fit.

    FWIW, zoom came from the motion picture industry.. A camera
    can move on several axis.. It can PAN (look left and right),
    it can TILT.. (look up and down).. And finally it can
    ZOOM.. (make objects appear to move farther away or closer).

    Fixed lenses have no zoom. There is no way to change the
    focal length. If you want to zoom with a fixed lens, you
    use your feet. You step backwards to make things appear
    smaller and you step forwards to make them larger.

    A fixed 1200mm lens on a 35mm camera will blow a set of 12X
    binoculars away when it comes to magnification, but since you
    can't change the focal length, the zoom factor of a fixed 1200mm
    lens is 1X.

    Jim Townsend, Aug 7, 2004
  13. Vinylmixer

    Crownfield Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:

    > Vinylmixer wrote:
    >
    > > so does that mean u get more zoom?
    > >

    > Just a note on zoom..
    >
    > Zoom is a verb.. It describes the apparent motion you see in
    > the viewfinder when you change the focal length of a variable
    > focal length lens. Not only can you zoom in, but you can zoom
    > out as well.
    >
    > If you are close to an object where it is too big to get
    > in the frame, you can zoom OUT to make it fit.
    >
    > FWIW, zoom came from the motion picture industry.. A camera
    > can move on several axis.. It can PAN (look left and right),
    > it can TILT.. (look up and down).. And finally it can
    > ZOOM.. (make objects appear to move farther away or closer).

    or dolly in or out.

    Crownfield, Aug 7, 2004
  14. Vinylmixer

    Steve Hix Guest

    In article <>, Crownfield <>
    wrote:

    > Jim Townsend wrote:
    > >

    > > FWIW, zoom came from the motion picture industry.. A camera
    > > can move on several axis.. It can PAN (look left and right),
    > > it can TILT.. (look up and down).. And finally it can
    > > ZOOM.. (make objects appear to move farther away or closer).

    > or dolly in or out.

    and track left or right.

    (I forget what the term is for vertical translation...crane? Something.)

    Steve Hix, Aug 8, 2004
  15. Vinylmixer

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Crownfield wrote:

    > Jim Townsend wrote:

    >> FWIW, zoom came from the motion picture industry.. A camera
    >> can move on several axis.. It can PAN (look left and right),
    >> it can TILT.. (look up and down).. And finally it can
    >> ZOOM.. (make objects appear to move farther away or closer).

    > or dolly in or out.

    Exactly :)

    Jim Townsend, Aug 8, 2004